drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » A few tips needed
Go to the bottom of this page A few tips needed
Author

Registration Date: 02-04-2007

Hello,

I've been producing drum n bass type stuff on fruity loops (and nothing else) for around a year now I want to get into hardware but have no idea where to start and what I will need. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could reply here and give me a few ideas on where to start. If you want to hear the style I am looking to produce then check out my myspace at www.myspace.com/djbuttonpusher. Also, is there any particular software that is better for drum n bass?

Thanks

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by djbuttonpusher: 18-04-2007 18:41.

18-04-2007 16:11
dj milkman dj milkman is a male
dnb junkie

images/avatars/avatar-1755.jpeg

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

Your myspace link doesnt work by the way mate.

i would like to give u advise but im in the same boat as you.

__
www.myspace.com/djmilkmanftrozey
18-04-2007 16:18 Homepage of dj milkman
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I've been producing in FL Studio (Fruity Loops) for over 6 years now, never needed any hardware (apart from a good soundcard), I just needed a lot of VSTi's (Virtual instruments).

FLStudio is great, and I suggest exploring it a bit more. Cubase is running great too, if you are not too fond of FLStudio. Dunno, try things and experiment, you'll be running stuff in no time.

I don't know any hardware requirements, maybe a synth or a synthesizer would be great, for bass/reeces/strings but I'm not too fond of them either, because I found that I can synthetize everything I want on my PC. Maybe buy a guitar and a keyboard (MIDI keyboard or whatever) and start practicing on that hardware.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
18-04-2007 17:48 Homepage of Muad'Dib
djbuttonpusher

Registration Date: 02-04-2007

Thanks for your replys, I appreciate it. The myspace link works now, I put a comma instead of a full stop Tongue .

Muad'Dib, thanks, I have FL5 and lots of vst plugins and loops. I feel I can create ok tunes but, in your opinion, do you think FL is a powerful enough tool to create a whole album of stuff good enough to release? If it is then I see no reason to purchase any hardware and I can crack on with learning FL properly.

Thanks again.
18-04-2007 18:45
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I think FL is as good as any other DAW tool (Digital Audio Workstation). Sure you can do good stuff with it.

Just a few thoughts on the Gear vs. PC thing....

- The advantage of a fast PC with just a software environment is that you can easily upgrade, try other products, use tons of VSTi's, download samples,...
- The user interfaces are mostly very straight forward on a computer and if not, lots of help is available on-screen. Hardware can be so much different (if you avoid using a computer all together). You need to learn a lot of weird key combinations and know the numbers of patch banks by heart etc...
- Replacing a single (larger) piece of hardware often costs as much as a midrange PC.
- There are also a lot of freebies on the VST front and even some free sequencers, hardware is always to be paid for.

- Hardware is cool for live gigs, but then again, you are draging a hell of a truckload of stuff behind you which you need to wire, test and unwire at every gig. Just a pc is a whole lot easier and faster and there are some software packages that allow you to do really cool things on stage (Ableton Live for Example).

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
18-04-2007 19:09 Homepage of BattleDrone
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

It is not necessary to buy hardware to make good music. But some hardware can help a lot, and it is definitely more fun to work with.

I would suggest to start with a USB keyboard with some knobs and sliders so you can control FL in real time. A drum pad is great fun too.

Get a cheap condenser mic to record your own vocals and samples, a Rode or something similar.

Also nice to have is a good analog EQ, something like a TL Audio Ivory, that will save you tons of time EQing. And maybe a funky distortion / filter unit like a Sherman Filterbank, that's something VSTs have never managed properly.

Synths and effects are not really up your street, to get better quality than VST plugins you would need to spend thousands of euros on them. VSTs can manage synthesising and effects pretty good. A hardware sampler is totally out of the question nowadays, or it would have to be an MPC or a similar unit.

An analog compressor is nice to have too but you would have to spend some €€€ to get a decent one. A cheap compressor does not benefit your sound at all and you would be better off with VST comps.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
18-04-2007 19:16 Homepage of thechronic
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

samples

need. more. samples.

fruity's main strength is it's ability to have a load of vst's, hundreds, and not have to activly scan them all EVERY time it loads. with the amount i have, my system crashes everytime with Albeton Live and Cubase.

take a look into purchasing good software.

I mean hardware-wise, a new computer and maybe speakers. You need to learn to mess around with effects.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

18-04-2007 20:57 Homepage of Halph-Price
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

quote:
Originally posted by djbuttonpusher
Hello,

I've been producing drum n bass type stuff on fruity loops (and nothing else) for around a year now I want to get into hardware but have no idea where to start and what I will need.
this aint what you'll need, but it's a great synth><Access Virus C, but make shure you get access Soundiver software of there site up and running, very important, cheers.

__
Space
19-04-2007 05:04
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » A few tips needed