drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » What's your opinion on Voting?
Go to the bottom of this page What's your opinion on Voting?
Author
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Wazzup?!
Got some thougths about the voting, would like to see your opinion on this topic too....

What bothers me is that the top rated track of the week has 5 stars and the track at the bottom of that list still has 4 stars. The difference between the scores is rather small.

I also encountered this 'problem' when voting for tracks, I often get the feeling that the 'distance' between the possible votes is way too big.

For example: if I have to choose between these options...

- Awful! It goes on forever or jumps randomly from one part to another
    - Some bad mistakes in the buildup
    - Average, could be improved
    - Good structure, great tension building
    - Excellent, everything is just spot on!

...to judge the buildup of a track which is - let's say - somewhat below average, I would like to vote something in between of 'Some bad mistakes in the buildup' and 'Average, could be improved'.
I'd suggest to add an option between all the existing options so you double the possibilities allowing the voters to refine their opinion an thus get a better variation on the score.

I'd also suggest to display a score like "78/100" besides the stars, this would also clear out the up/down movements on the charts.
And since I'm on a nagging trip anyway... A chart with hottest tracks of all-time would be cool too and would not mean a lot of extra work I think.

But hey Chron, I know you are doing a hell of a job allready, so don't hurry anything and give priority to stuff that really matters.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by BattleDrone: 05-02-2007 12:30.

05-02-2007 12:29 Homepage of BattleDrone
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

If I'm not mistaken the chron has allready added a mathematical/statistical algorithm to the scores in order to make the differences in the scores bigger, because most of the ratings ended up somewhere between 3 and 3,5 or something, and now they are spread out some more. (Correct me if I'm wrong chron...)

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
05-02-2007 21:09 Homepage of djfreemc
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

maybe right battledrone
chron you did a good job up to now

and also a cool thing is the listings of each top 5 tracks of the month of the passed years ( and the comming years) on a new page.
So people can scroll back into time and see/hear those.
or you can make that the top 10 to be more loyal

just a suggestion for the future Tongue
12-02-2007 01:11
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
What bothers me is that the top rated track of the week has 5 stars and the track at the bottom of that list still has 4 stars. The difference between the scores is rather small.

I'd also suggest to display a score like "78/100" besides the stars, this would also clear out the up/down movements on the charts.

I got something similar already on the site but I'm the only one that can see it atm. I put up a numeric representation of the scores behind the stars during the development of the voting system. I'll convert this to a score on 100 points and make it visible for everyone. That will only take a couple of minutes to do.

quote:
I also encountered this 'problem' when voting for tracks, I often get the feeling that the 'distance' between the possible votes is way too big.

For example: if I have to choose between these options...

- Awful! It goes on forever or jumps randomly from one part to another
    - Some bad mistakes in the buildup
    - Average, could be improved
    - Good structure, great tension building
    - Excellent, everything is just spot on!

...to judge the buildup of a track which is - let's say - somewhat below average, I would like to vote something in between of 'Some bad mistakes in the buildup' and 'Average, could be improved'.
I'd suggest to add an option between all the existing options so you double the possibilities allowing the voters to refine their opinion an thus get a better variation on the score.

Ooh that would be an enormous amount of work, it might seem simple but I will have to redo the whole calculation routines and convert all existing votes.

It might be easier if you think of the individual ratings as 'bad - below average - average - above average - great'. That's all it is really, it gives points from 1/5 to 5/5 for each aspect. The lenghty explanations are just to give you an idea of how to interpret the scores.

But if more people would be interested to have finer control over the votes (eg 7 points, like the first vote) just post in this thread and I'll consider it for the future.

quote:
A chart with hottest tracks of all-time would be cool too and would not mean a lot of extra work I think.

We already have that, if you use the sorting options in the music page you can see the best tracks of all time.

You can also see this by clicking on 'Click here to see all top rated tracks' on the front page.

check it out here Big Grin

I know there is a bug in it that causes the last half of the list to be empty. These are all tracks with less than three votes, they are not displayed atm, I just haven't had the time to fix this.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
12-02-2007 16:12 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
I got something similar already on the site but I'm the only one that can see it atm. I put up a numeric representation of the scores behind the stars during the development of the voting system. I'll convert this to a score on 100 points and make it visible for everyone. That will only take a couple of minutes to do.

I've put this in, the scores are now displayed as percentages. This is only visible for registered producers and moderators.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
12-02-2007 17:06 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
If I'm not mistaken the chron has allready added a mathematical/statistical algorithm to the scores in order to make the differences in the scores bigger, because most of the ratings ended up somewhere between 3 and 3,5 or something, and now they are spread out some more. (Correct me if I'm wrong chron...)

Yeah that's right, i think the ratings are now quite on the spot - in most cases if a track has 5+ votes the rating gives a pretty good indication of the track quality imo.

__
12-02-2007 17:22 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Greyone
and also a cool thing is the listings of each top 5 tracks of the month of the passed years ( and the comming years) on a new page.
So people can scroll back into time and see/hear those.
or you can make that the top 10 to be more loyal

just a suggestion for the future Tongue

Nice idea, I'll put it in my to do list Big Grin

__
12-02-2007 17:23 Homepage of thechronic
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
quote:

Fucking cool(e) shit man! Bigup

__
12-02-2007 23:37 Homepage of BattleDrone
Rudeone
love & light

images/avatars/avatar-2481.jpg

Registration Date: 15-10-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

nice, this just keeps gettin better n better! Smile

gotta rinse some proper tunes Devil

__
MySpace
13-02-2007 11:07 Homepage of Rudeone
Philthy McNasty Philthy McNasty is a male
Florida DnB Masta!

images/avatars/avatar-2723.jpg

Registration Date: 23-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
24 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

quote:
Originally posted by Rudeone
nice, this just keeps gettin better n better! Smile

gotta rinse some proper tunes Devil

Gotta agree in full. Chronic doing the site up proper. Only thing about the precentages, I feel like I am in school again Big Grin , next thing you know, your gonna put A-F grades Drummer Drummer Respekt Chron

__
http://www.myspace.com/philthydubbish
13-02-2007 19:02 Homepage of Philthy McNasty
wTrouble wTrouble is a male
Sponsor

Registration Date: 01-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

call me blind and stupid but...

when someone has used the voting system to vote for your track, can you see the information anywhere?

ie if everyone has said that your track had NO dancefloor appeal, can you go somewhere to see this???

Cheers,
wT
11-11-2007 02:37
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by wTrouble
call me blind and stupid but...

when someone has used the voting system to vote for your track, can you see the information anywhere?

ie if everyone has said that your track had NO dancefloor appeal, can you go somewhere to see this???

Cheers,
wT

Not yet, it is on the to-do list, but the big chief is on tour right now, this could be added in wintertime.

__
17-11-2007 11:16 Homepage of BattleDrone
Lightningflash Lightningflash is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2350.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I recon it would be better to scrap all that written stuff (that only puts people off) and just have an over all rating (something like a colorfully fader scale), then a form for putting your thoughts, (if you don’t give a feed you cant vote).
because as it is now, if you don’t get any feeds you have no idea why your track has a low rating.
also something needs to be done about those freeloaders who like to upload their stuff,read what we thought about it, download samples, nick our idears and what ever, but never even think of commenting on others tunes, I suggest not being able to upload a thing until you have a few votes behind you.

__
Sun "EVERY FAILURE BRINGS WITH IT THE SEEDS OF AN EQUIVALENT ADVANTAGE."
Theres more here http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Showband.asp?id=18745

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Lightningflash: 27-11-2007 22:19.

18-11-2007 11:11
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » What's your opinion on Voting?