drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » is itunes "decompressing"?
Go to the bottom of this page is itunes "decompressing"?
Author
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

When I go to burn a cd of mp3s and my prefs are set to burn an audio cd does that mean that itunes is decrompressing the mp3? becauase I thought that once you compressed into mp3
you lose the "extra" info.

thanx in advance

__
SAVE THE SL1200
23-01-2007 06:00
Peel Peel is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-1344.jpg

Registration Date: 20-07-2005

you're right, burning an mp3 to audio CD will never magically bring back all the compressed -ie lost- data, it just converts one file format to another

__

Peeled November 2006 Mix
23-01-2007 13:59 Homepage of Peel
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by dmccabe
When I go to burn a cd of mp3s and my prefs are set to burn an audio cd does that mean that itunes is decrompressing the mp3? becauase I thought that once you compressed into mp3

thanx in advance

no... itunes keeps all that info regardless if its mp3 or not... if you prefs are set to burn an audio cd, thats just the standard defualt setting then you have yfor your software
you can change that if you really wanted..

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

23-01-2007 16:36
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Surora23
quote:

thanx in advance

no... itunes keeps all that info regardless if its mp3 or not... if you prefs are set to burn an audio cd, thats just the standard defualt setting then you have yfor your software
you can change that if you really wanted..

I knew that I can change the prefs to burn an mp3 or audio. But I wasn't sure if when I chose "burn audio cd" if itunes was basically "decompressing" the mp3 to my chosen standard audio format only minus the info that the song lost durring the inital mp3 conversion. Also does that mean that if I were to recompress using the same codec, vbr, bit rate etc... would I lose more of the tracks info? Or does using the same compression "scheme" mean that since a specific kind and amount of "extra" data has already been tossed, the track suffers no more?
The reason I was curios has to do with me using a cdj as an accesory. The cdj doesn't run mp3 cds. And lately I've been wondering if after a few vinyls can anyone really tell that I switched to a cdj playing a "decompressed" mp3? (an mp3 regardless)

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 5 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 27-01-2007 08:12.

27-01-2007 08:05
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
I was curios has to do with me using a cdj as an accesory. The cdj doesn't run mp3 cds. And lately I've been wondering if after a few vinyls can anyone really tell that I switched to a cdj playing a "decompressed" mp3? (an mp3 regardless)

If the mp3 you decompressed and burned to a cd is in decent quality (eg192kpbs or higher), you won't hear the difference on a PA system in a crowd. If you listen to it on monitors, and listen to the original cd first and the compressed-decompressed-burned one afterwards, you might hear a slight difference, some power or brilliance missing etc.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
27-01-2007 12:10 Homepage of djfreemc
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » is itunes "decompressing"?