drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Getting the snares right
Go to the bottom of this page Getting the snares right 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Tourist

Registration Date: 17-12-2004

I can't seem to get the snares how i want them to be...
i want them to sound fuller and not so harsh...

what basic steps do u guys take when making a snare drum?
and the ghost drums?

here's the beat i was working on:
http://83.98.146.8/~mythix/snares.mp3

the snare sound crappy and the ghosts sound like a machine gun lol
any tips?
16-01-2007 22:24 Homepage of Mythix
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Sounds like you are using one of those Roland drumkits (e.g. TR 707 or something) those aren't any good for DnB. You need a real snappy snaredrum and play it loud. Basically you know you're going the right way when a drum break with only kick and snare already makes you feel like moving to it.
Avoid cymbals in a break like that, you could drop a cymbal hit every 8 bars or so, but not 3 in a row please.

Don't worry about ghosts yet, first get a K--- S--- --K- S--- pattern up. Try a lot of different samples, make sure the kick and snare are loud enough (they should be in balance to get you shakin').

If you are through with that you can add ghosts in the "S--- --K" part (see above, it's the middle) to get that typical DnB roll. For Ghosts you use the snappy snare which you are already applying as main snare, but you make a copy of it and cut of the first bit so it doesn't hit as hard as the main snare. Lower the volume a bit and make sure it doesn't last too long (just a short and soft hit compared to the real thing).

It can take a while to get the ghosts on the right spots, but keep trying. You might need to give them some offset from their normal quantized position in order to get that little friction that causes it to groove right.

Now you can add some extra percussion, but not too much. I like a closed hihat simply played on the positions which are still empty.

Drummer

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
16-01-2007 23:10 Homepage of BattleDrone
Mythix Mythix is a male
Tourist

and what about EQing everythink, is that a job for afterworth or do you EQ your snares right away?

and how do you change to offset? maybe with shift?
17-01-2007 11:15 Homepage of Mythix
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

EQing is part of creating the sound of your snare, so yes, right away.

The offset can be done by going into the settings of the bar for the snaredrum (when you are looking at your drumsequencer pattern it is the left one of those 2 icons on the top right of the pattern). You can change the velicity, panning, cut off, res, pitch, ... for each position there through bars which can be pulled up and down. There is also a possiblity to change the offset. This can be used to trigger the ghost snare later (from just a little bit to almost a full step). You need to play with that setting.

I hope that was clear enough for you (I'm at work and can't check for the exact names of everything here sorry).

__
17-01-2007 14:14 Homepage of BattleDrone
Mythix Mythix is a male
Tourist

Allright so I've read a lot of topics on EQing snares and getting them right, and i think i'm going in the right direction, here are my new snares

http://83.98.146.8/~mythix/snares2.mp3

now the only problem i have is getting that windy tail out of the snair... and maybe compress them a bit more...
and what do u think of the ghosts?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mythix: 17-01-2007 17:22.

17-01-2007 17:22 Homepage of Mythix
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

On the contrary, the easiest way to get the metallic tail (the 'wind') out of that sample is if you expand it. That sound is probably caused by too much compression in the first place.

When you expand it carefully, you preserve the peaks and reduce the tail. On the other hand when you compress you will bring up the tail and background noise, making it even worse Wink

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
17-01-2007 18:07 Homepage of thechronic
shootyourself shootyourself is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1971.jpg

Registration Date: 24-12-2006

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
Don't worry about ghosts yet, first get a K--- S--- --K- S--- pattern up.
Drummer

also try

K--- S--K ---- S---
K--- S--K ---- S--K
K--- S--K ---- S---
K--- S--S ---- S--K

aaaaaaaa!!!

__
B L A C K A D D E R
www.myspace.com/blackadderdnb
listen to drum machine
17-01-2007 19:09 Homepage of shootyourself
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Mythix
Allright so I've read a lot of topics on EQing snares and getting them right, and i think i'm going in the right direction, here are my new snares

http://83.98.146.8/~mythix/snares2.mp3

now the only problem i have is getting that windy tail out of the snair... and maybe compress them a bit more...
and what do u think of the ghosts?

That is WAY MUCH better than the first version dude. Keep working on it. Big Grin The ghosts are comming through very well.

__
17-01-2007 19:20 Homepage of BattleDrone
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

hey mythix, just thought i'd put this together for ya to download and try out to see. i dunno if this will even help you and it's really a crude way for me to do it but you can then see the concept of basic ghost snares and whatnot.

FL Studio ZIP file.

it's an FL Zip file so it already has the sample sin it i used as well. hope this helps somewhat.

edit: here's an mp3 version too so you can hear it before.

MP3 Here

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by optikal_assassin: 18-01-2007 08:43.

18-01-2007 08:42
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

@optikassassin: nicely done... there's no better way to explain than doing it this way I guess!

This is a break with hihat ghosts, IMO usually more popular in the softer styles of DrumnBass. You could also make ghosts from snares or kicks.

__
18-01-2007 10:25 Homepage of BattleDrone
Mythix Mythix is a male
Tourist

I wanna make those crazy beats you can't figure out when u've heard it only once...

not just techstep beats, but that's maybe where u start Smile i guess it's all about the ghosts and hihats and congo's and other background... only way is to learn is making 10 gig of loops lol xD

bigup for optikassassin!!!
19-01-2007 00:16 Homepage of Mythix
optikal_assassin optikal_assassin is a male
|da jungle snipa|

images/avatars/avatar-3214.jpg

Registration Date: 18-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Mythix
I wanna make those crazy beats you can't figure out when u've heard it only once...

not just techstep beats, but that's maybe where u start Smile i guess it's all about the ghosts and hihats and congo's and other background... only way is to learn is making 10 gig of loops lol xD

bigup for optikassassin!!!

i feel ya bruvs. alot of how i make my breaks is trial and error, using one shots and just swapping parts in and out til i find something that sits good together. it helps to have good samples to begin with of course. that will make alot of difference in how your breaks flow. i guess there's soo many ways of doing breaks and be sure to tweak your velocity too on certain hits, like ghost snares, hihats, whatever. velocity in fl studio can make a huge difference. now i prefer sometimes to do my breaks in the piano roll and not via the step sequencer, but i get an urge sometimes to use the step sequencer when doing a quick job to get the point across. hey man, if you need any other help with shit in fl i can send ya some files when i can get a spare minute if there's something else you dont really understand when programming your breaks. Wink

__
Jungle Snipa on MySpace
19-01-2007 00:23
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Getting the snares right