drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Get the bass right?
Go to the bottom of this page Get the bass right?
Author
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I always have the problem that my bass sounds bad imo.

It doesn't stand out enough, if I make it louder the VU-meter for the channel of the bass goes for the ceiling and is not dropping anymore (which is bad).
But I like the distorted sound of the bass. Trying to get this sound through "Blood Overdrive" seems impossible.
When trying to tame the bass by means of EQ or compression it simply loses its character untill it's just a low humming piece of crap before the VU-meter loses its permanent contact with the upper border .

I wonder how pro's are able to make a bass that stands out so well and has a lot of bass and enough mids without the tune being pushed aside from it?

Any advice is welcome DJ

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
29-09-2006 09:48 Homepage of BattleDrone
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

watch the kick frequency closely, find out where is the peak. if the bass is swallowing it notch that same frequency from the bass.

if you got the kick punchy and the bass loud then most of the mixdown is already complete

oh and try a serious distortion vst

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
29-09-2006 10:11 Homepage of cynik
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

start using real software Big Grin

REASON

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

29-09-2006 10:23 Homepage of D2o
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Dj Jimmy C

REASON

I tried Reason but hate the interface (I have a widescreen monitor, yet am forced to scroll up and down like hell). You can't use VST's.
But the mixdown sounds way better, so true.

I can't imagine leaving FL behind as it offers great possibilities to mess up samples.

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
watch the kick frequency closely, find out where is the peak. if the bass is swallowing it notch that same frequency from the bass.

if you got the kick punchy and the bass loud then most of the mixdown is already complete

The stuff with the kick vs. Bass is clear to me. Got that figured out (making a dip in your bass EQ to leave room for the kick to punch through).

Any advice on the distortion? I have been messing around with Izotope Trash and don't like it as it weakens the sound imo.

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by BattleDrone: 29-09-2006 11:25.

29-09-2006 11:24 Homepage of BattleDrone
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:
Originally posted by Dj Jimmy C

REASON

I tried Reason but hate the interface (I have a widescreen monitor, yet am forced to scroll up and down like hell). You can't use VST's.
But the mixdown sounds way better, so true.

I can't imagine leaving FL behind as it offers great possibilities to mess up samples.

no man, I don't scroll up n down ever in reason anymore. it gets down to how you work. I use the sequencer for everything and clicking on a device in it, the rack window autamatically scrolls to that device.

widescreen monitor is perfect for reason, especially a 19" one as you can fit both the rack and the sequencer on the screen so no alt+tab either

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:
Originally posted by cynik

The stuff with the kick vs. Bass is clear to me. Got that figured out (making a dip in your bass EQ to leave room for the kick to punch through).

Any advice on the distortion? I have been messing around with Izotope Trash and don't like it as it weakens the sound imo.

well from your first post it doesnt show you get the grip at all man.. don't make "dips", try tiny little notches just for the peak of the kick to punch through. I really mean it - you need the tiniest little needle of a notch (and good ears/monitors btw)

as for the distortion, try splitting the bass channel you're distorting. omg I have said this so many times it's tiring.

if the bass is weakened by distortion, use the original channel as well as the distorted one, this is done either by splitting the channel or making the distortion as a send. splitting is better as you don't need distortion on a very low end of it, distort the mid bass instead (which would then lead to more frequency space for the kick too) and/or high end of the bass. as always, it all depends on the sound what part of it you want distort. and how

izotope trash is one of the best and one I mostly use lately along with the ohmforce predatohm. the later is a muldiband distorter (you can set options for each frequency range, up to 4)

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
29-09-2006 11:43 Homepage of cynik
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks Cynik, will try splitting it. Does that mean that I need to use an other EQ on the to-be-distorted version (filtering the lows out).

For the kick vs. bass issue I always use quite a big spike (downward) in the EQ. Anyway, I need to keep trying as one needs to develop in these things. Thanks for telling it again Smile . It's true that these things get asked over and over again. We need good manuals (summaries of the best posts for this subject).

__
29-09-2006 13:41 Homepage of BattleDrone
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

that's what i often do: filter out that sample, layer those 2 or 3 different filtered bass-samples on top of eachother, adjust the levels till that bassline sounds sick, maybe give each sample a different lfo to make it flow more, eq it all together and maybe add a little bit of distortion.

__

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Emblem-X: 17-10-2006 20:42.

17-10-2006 20:39 Homepage of Emblem-X
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

I found a good tip for splitting the bass frequencies in flstudio the other day..

Take your sound and link it to the first mixer track, then click on the orange box on the master track to DISABLE the send from 1 to master.
Then click the grey rectangles (turning them orange) on tracks 2 and 3 (you can use as many of them as you want), you should now have the bass sound in 2 and 3.. use one for the highs and the other for the lows.
If you need to you can also route 2 and 3 into 4 by right clicking the grey rectangle and selecting route to this track only, this is useful for compressing the sounds together again or adding effects to both.

Sorry if this is a repost, or just plain obvious, but I had no idea you could do it.

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by gls: 18-11-2006 15:54.

18-11-2006 13:32
sssonarrr sssonarrr is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1223.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

hey gls, is there some way to do that in fl studio 5 instead of 6??

__
Bigup laborecordings
18-11-2006 14:30 Homepage of sssonarrr
gls
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

quote:
Originally posted by sssonarrr
hey gls, is there some way to do that in fl studio 5 instead of 6??

I don't think so, if I remember correctly they changed the mixer in 6.

You should upgrade really, you're missing out on some good upgrades.. such as pattern clips and a decent mixer.
18-11-2006 15:52
JayG JayG is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2085.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

what generator do you use for bass lines ? you use lf 5? and ever try use a low tone sin wave from. thats how i usely get tough basses . i never use overdrive

__
www.myspace.com/jaygca

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by JayG: 06-04-2007 00:43.

06-04-2007 00:43
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 

I have just recently overcome this same exact problem. If you split your bass you will be able to process the low and high ends of the bass seperately which is definetely essential (most of the time) but heres a cool trick:

if youve got an analyser you can use that but if not: sweep an EQ starting from the highest frequency down toward the low (with a boost), while watching your channel meter. as you sweep toward the lower frequecies the meter will rise, and eventually it will clip. The cool thing here is ( and this works best with a low Q) is that at certain frequencies you meter will clip MUCH more than at others. This is the RESONATING FREQUNCY. they are as I understand it to do with the harnmonics of the sound, anyway cut this a bit, and the result is that you will be able to turn it louder than before, and in my experience it still sounds good.

This is eqing without actually listening. you could even turn your monitors off to do it and just watch the meter. If it doesnt sound good dont do it, but it has worked well for me. coincidentally ive taken to doing this on all my sounds (even if just very lightly) and it then enables you to get a very loud mix

Pleased

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
06-04-2007 01:26
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

yea the important thing is what are you starting with. blood over drive won't help much for basslines, it is usefull for getting more high end. it will only muddy it up for you. if you're using FL you need to harvest the true power of it, and get VST rocking. PSP pack with compressor and saturator can help a lot. for basslines.

the synth you're using or sample matters the most though. you can polish a turd, but in th end it's still a turd.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

06-04-2007 01:27 Homepage of Halph-Price
JayG JayG is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2085.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 

hahah polish a turd and its still a turd im sorry i luv it funny stuff .

__
www.myspace.com/jaygca
06-04-2007 03:00
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

You can get some really shiny 'n blinky turds though Big Grin

__
06-04-2007 16:03 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

as funny as it is, i have heard numerous guys in numerous fields all use that term. and yea, they said that too. you can get some really shinny turds if you try hard enough.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 06-04-2007 17:00.

06-04-2007 17:00 Homepage of Halph-Price
artificial
Tourist

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

sometimes, distortion is not always what i need, i like some good fucking frequency cutoff modulation.. yeaahhh Tongue ..
if your bass gets too 'big' you can always sidechain the kick to a compressor and have the compressor work on the bass.. that typical benassi shit... lol
06-04-2007 17:19 Homepage of artificial
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1473.jpg

Registration Date: 27-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

does anyone have a method. of limiting the kick when the bass plays and bangin it when the bass isint. usin fruity. i did learn a way of doin it with a soft clipper and a compresser a long wile ago friscko told me. but forgot havent done it in so long any one kno. n good vsts to do it.
11-04-2007 14:54
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » Get the bass right?