drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » Massive bandwidth usage!
Go to the bottom of this page Massive bandwidth usage!
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

OMG we are popular, this month there has been an average download rate of 6.4GB a day, peaking at 11GB on september 17 Shocked Shocked

Before the old server went down we had an average of 4.3GB a day, I guess more people with broadband are downloading massively. Problem is that we are limited to 200GB traffic / month, averaging to 6.6GB a day, we are very close to that limit.

I did a bit of research and it seems that some people are abusing the site and leeching off hundreds of tracks, one person connected to the Powernet / EVRO network in Bulgaria has managed to download 10GB worth of data on his own Frown
This is a guest user, such a huge fan of our music that he downloaded almost every track on the server but unwilling to register...

I'm going to track it for a few days and do some more research into which IP addresses are responsible for the massive downloads. If it turns out that a couple of guest userss are responsible for the majority of the traffic I will have to limit the guest downloads to eg 5 tracks a day per IP address. Nothing will change for registered members for the moment!!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
22-09-2006 00:11 Homepage of thechronic
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Hmmm DJ Milkman tracks are being downloaded at an average of 257 times daily, averaging at 1.7GB a day, what is going on here??

In total there have been 36GB of DJ Milkman tracks downloaded this month, this is 27% of our total used bandwidth Frown

His tracks top at around 120 downloads on myspace, while most of them go over 800 downloads here, strange stuff and we are absolutely unable to serve up 8x the bandwidth of myspace Frown

No offense to DJ Milkman, the only problem is that he is too popular!! Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
22-09-2006 00:22 Homepage of thechronic
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

WTF!!!!

Its weird aswell. I had a quick scan through the tunes page, and all the tunes of his I saw only had 1 or 2 replies. Admitadly, not everyone leaves a reply when they listen to a tune, but you'd think that out 800 downloads, there would be more than 1 or 2 replies.

WTF is going on?
22-09-2006 00:41
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

ban him and delete his tracks! his fans are sucking out all the bandwith! LOL

just kidding ofcourse!

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 22-09-2006 01:34.

22-09-2006 00:50 Homepage of cynik
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Well obviously the majority of the downloads are not made by registered users, so there seem to be a lot of people that dig his music, want to download it but don't bother to register... If they don't register they can't review.

A very strong case for limiting the number of guest downloads, and I'm even thinking of limiting the total amount of downloads per track to 1000 hits or something. There are around 50 tracks on the server atm that have been downloaded more than 1000 times, and I could make exceptions (eg people with 500+ posts, people who made a donation for the server, tracks that won a tune of the month award etc)

The worst thing about these massive downloads is that the people who are responsible for it don't even take the time to vote Frown I would expect that at least 5% of the people are interested in casting a vote, so I would expect 50 votes on 1000 downloads but it is not happening...

I have to make that voting stuff more accessible. I have been working on it today, I made a feature that shows the vote page automatically after downloading. It works fine in all browsers except Internet Explorer that gives a bloody security bar at the top of the screen and stops loading the rest of the page Censored

__
22-09-2006 00:51 Homepage of thechronic
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

But if the total amount of downloads per day is 6.4 gb, sample packs and all. I cant understand how more than a quater of that is just one persons tunes. If you consider just how many tunes are posted on here everyday. It just doesnt make sence to me. It seams like a total unrealistic percentage.
22-09-2006 00:55
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
But if the total amount of downloads per day is 6.4 gb, sample packs and all. I cant understand how more than a quater of that is just one persons tunes. If you consider just how many tunes are posted on here everyday. It just doesnt make sence to me. It seams like a total unrealistic percentage.

Yeah that is exactly my problem, the tunes account for 52.44% of the total bandwidth. The forum thread display is 12.24%, the rest is samples, other pages, mail etc.

So basically half of the track downloads are for DJ Milkman, this can be seen in the Tunes page too if you look at the number of hits + the size of the tracks.

__
22-09-2006 01:13 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

but er.. there are other tracks with a lot of hits. Friscos, harplainsdrifters, one of mine, greyones etc.

I thught it was the issue with download managers, the ones that split downloads so it appears like a lot of hits, it happened before.

__
22-09-2006 01:21 Homepage of cynik
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
but er.. there are other tracks with a lot of hits. Friscos, harplainsdrifters, one of mine, greyones etc.

I thught it was the issue with download managers, the ones that split downloads so it appears like a lot of hits, it happened before.

That might be a factor too indeed. Maybe someone with a download manager tried to download those tracks.

Total amount of track download attempts this month: 28339
Total bandwidth used for track downloads: 69.26GB

so this averages 2.5MB per track download attempt, that is way off, I estimate the average track size to be around 6-7MB. There must be a certain number of downloads that are cancelled or stopped halfway through, but that can not explain this number. If we take 6MB as average the actual number of complete downloads would be 11820 (!!). so that are around 16500 failed or cancelled downloads.

Unfortunately there is no way to measure if the tracks have been downloaded entirely and I don't keep track of every single download atm.

(statistics are up to yesterday, 21 days in total)

__
22-09-2006 01:53 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Hmm the sample packs use up 24.8% of total bandwidth (1.5GB / day), I will have to cut that down a bit too, eg by limiting the number of sample packs that can be downloaded / day / member, or working with a rotating set of 'sample packs of the day' or something like that.

It will be a serious programming effort though, now the sample packs are simple direct downloads, but it will have to be entirely scripted.

Seems like I have lots of work left on the site Big Grin

__
22-09-2006 01:59 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

OK I've limited the number of downloads for guest users to 5 daily.

It is done quite crudely (the script dies with an error message on a blank screen), but it will at least help us get through the month without going over our bandwidth limit + it will stop people using a download manager from messing up the number of track downloads.

__
22-09-2006 15:01 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
OK I've limited the number of downloads for guest users to 5 daily.

It is done quite crudely (the script dies with an error message on a blank screen), but it will at least help us get through the month without going over our bandwidth limit + it will stop people using a download manager from messing up the number of track downloads.

how about disabling a download if a download manager is detected? if it's possible, offcourse.

__
22-09-2006 15:22 Homepage of cynik
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

tbh i think track down loads should be for registered users only.

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

22-09-2006 17:54 Homepage of D2o
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

How about only streaming the mp3´s for unregistered users instead?
If the track sucks the user will stop listening and thus not spoil bandwith.

And by the way: If you allow people to link their files on other sites too the problem will not get any smaller... Frown

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by BattleDrone: 22-09-2006 19:27.

22-09-2006 19:26 Homepage of BattleDrone
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Dj Jimmy C
tbh i think track down loads should be for registered users only.

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
How about only streaming the mp3´s for unregistered users instead?
If the track sucks the user will stop listening and thus not spoil bandwith.

And by the way: If you allow people to link their files on other sites too the problem will not get any smaller... Frown

I agree that it would be better to allow downloads for registered users only so not everyone can simply get their hands on all your MP3's. I could make a streaming player for the guest so they can listen but not download.

With a player the data is streamed to the player at the same speed as with a regular download (30 seconds download on average), and usually the download is not interrupted when the user presses the stop button, only when he navigates to a new page. This does not really benefit the bandwidth but would stop people from acquiring your precious tracks.

With a player you could also chose not to let anyone download your track for example, or even work as some kind of small iTunes in which people can buy downloads off the producers.

There has been a discussion about it in this thread: Suggestion - Drumnbass.be Jukebox

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone

I made this possible before I found out about the bandwidth, I thought for a moment about not letting anyone know until next month but that would not be very fair and it would only be a matter of time before someone found out Wink

I hope the 5-track limit is going to conserve the bandwidth use enough. The script is now running for 5 hours and has stopped 4 people from downloading too much already Smile

We can definitely use more visitors and exposure, the visitor count is much higher than during the server trouble period, but it is by far not at the point at which it was a year ago.

__
22-09-2006 19:59 Homepage of thechronic
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

is there no way you could increse the bandwidth?

we could do a collection again if moeny is needed for it Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

22-09-2006 20:09 Homepage of D2o
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Dj Jimmy C
is there no way you could increse the bandwidth?

we could do a collection again if moeny is needed for it Big Grin

Yeah ofcourse. I have a contract for 200GB a month now, costs €39 + VAT (=46.41€ inc VAT) a month. 350GB would be €69 + VAT (82.11€ inc VAT) a month. The colo company also offers uncapped lines, but fast ones are really expensive and slow ones are well, really slow lol.

BTW I'm not complaining, on the old server I was paying 150€ a month Wink

The money should really come from the advertising. Average income is 1.08€ daily for this month, so it would be around 32.40€ at the end of the month, which is still 14€ short of our break even target. With 43% more ad clicks (= 43% more visitors) we would reach break even.

For an increase in bandwidth to 350GB we need around 50€ extra, or 253% more ad clicks, so over double the amount of visitors, that is a good target as a year and a half ago we nearly had twice as many visitors.

So unless you are willing to cough up 50€ a month it is a better idea to improve and promote the site, draw in more visitors and let the google ads do their work Smile

I'm now really working hard on the site, have let it slacking for way too long. I have many ideas and will happily pay up the cash for the hosting but I'm not going pay extra for more bandwidth if a couple of guest users are going to suck it all up anyway Smile It has to be worthwhile, and for that I need a better site Smile

__
22-09-2006 20:39 Homepage of thechronic
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I don´t think it is well spent money if you would increase the monthly datacapacity just to help out some people who don´t feel like registering but do feel like leeching every tune they can find. That´s not what this site is about I guess.
In fact I wonder (I am quite sure I´m not the firs one) if it´s really necesarry to keep very old and verry bad tunes (according to rating) available so some packrat can get them all (I want them precious).

As for earnings.... the current visitors can help you quite a lot there, I have developed the habit of clickin´ twice a day (once at work, once at home) to gener8 some support for the poor chron here Big Grin I think it´s a good habit that deserves following! A click a day keeps the downtime away Drummer

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
23-09-2006 20:22 Homepage of BattleDrone
dj milkman dj milkman is a male
dnb junkie

images/avatars/avatar-1755.jpeg

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

WTF is happening here!

I really dont understand why loads of people are downloadin my tracks, i will be the first to admit there not very good and there are a lot better song on here. I was just wonderin if there is anyting i can do?

__
www.myspace.com/djmilkmanftrozey
23-09-2006 21:52 Homepage of dj milkman
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by dj milkman
WTF is happening here!

I really dont understand why loads of people are downloadin my tracks, i will be the first to admit there not very good and there are a lot better song on here. I was just wonderin if there is anyting i can do?

Don't worry mate, it's absolutely not your fault and there's nothing you can or should do about it. After all it is just people that want to download your tracks, and that's what the site is about Smile The problem is only that there is a limit to the amount of data that can be downloaded in a month.

BTW I took some measures to minimise excessive downloading and blocked the use of download managers.

__
24-09-2006 03:56 Homepage of thechronic
Pages (2): [1] 2 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » Massive bandwidth usage!