drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » EQing the shit
Go to the bottom of this page EQing the shit
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

oh ya another thing, that i totally forgot but i do myself now, is be VERY subtle with eq'ing. less is more. just a slight dip here and there add's up a lot, specially in very sensative areas like 5k.

a lot of high hats, guitars, big lead synths, or even pads i usually dip a bit out of the high end slightly.

basicly if you do very subtle eq's it helps and if you can turn off the plug-in and notice the diffrence then it is doing something. that's another hard thing to explain and teach. you don't need to cut sounds out entirly when eq'ing. sometimes just -3db is drastic enough. technicly that's half the power, but it doesn't sound like it.

try to be as gentle as you can. if you find you need to really crank the eq's then maybe look for a different sound. it goes back to the polishing a turd, biz. good sounds you don't need to touch much if at all.

a lot of my eq'ing and mixing is more from live instrument experince then synth's and stuff. that stuff's more in my own spare time.

drum samples though are record, usually the 70's and such, without much eq and are msotly the raw sound. i always treat them like a real drum kit. so i have more exp with eq the drums. but a lot of the techniques apply.

but this is an important thing, if you eliminate louder high freq noise,s they "mask" deeper freq, so by removing higher noises from bass and kicks, you can actually amke the kick and bass louder! by subtracting freq!

like white noise has 60hz rolling always, but ti sounds like high end hiss, becaus ethe high end drowns out the lower end.

i am sorry i am going on anbout this but it helps me remember all of this too. a lot fo the tiems when i mix i forget somethings.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 10-04-2007 09:19.

10-04-2007 08:44 Homepage of Halph-Price
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

imo producing is 70% EQing and 30 % composing

while you compose you have to EQ the sounds constantly , first drums then bass then other sounds , always checking the spectrum analyser and dB meter and filling the channels with seperate Equalisers and effects and shit shit shit shit shit Tongue

but eventually you can do that quick and become to a finished track quick

but then there's the final mastering wich i have a lot more questions about
10-04-2007 16:27
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by Greyone

while you compose you have to EQ the sounds constantly , first drums then bass then other sounds , always checking the spectrum analyser and dB meter and filling the channels with seperate Equalisers and effects and shit shit shit shit shit Tongue

EQing while composing is a complete waste of time. You would have to do it over and over again every time you introduce a new element in the mix. The balance and spectrum changes every time you add something, so any EQ corrections you made before are rendered useless and you have to start over.

Just ignore EQ issues while composing, get the track finished and then EQ all channels at once. If you get the hang of it you can EQ a whole track in a couple of minutes. So that would leave you with 97% composing and 3% EQ Tongue

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
11-04-2007 11:50 Homepage of thechronic
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
quote:

EQing while composing is a complete waste of time. You would have to do it over and over again every time you introduce a new element in the mix. The balance and spectrum changes every time you add something, so any EQ corrections you made before are rendered useless and you have to start over.

Just ignore EQ issues while composing, get the track finished and then EQ all channels at once. If you get the hang of it you can EQ a whole track in a couple of minutes. So that would leave you with 97% composing and 3% EQ Tongue

Maybe that's a faster way to get things done, but EQing while composing is a part of the composing itself! I mean, the sound doesn't sound good and as I intended to sound if I don't apply volume and EQ changes.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
11-04-2007 12:57 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
quote:

yeah thats what i do man Confused when i add an element i like , i eq it so it fits , then when i dont like it anymore , a change it for another , eq it again and stuff goes on and on and on

so i become a constant EQer Frown , i just want to have everything right while im producing , the importand issues first like drums and bass , then the sounds (so everything is eqed fine , and the sounds just have to blend in , and not otherwise , drums are more important then sounds)

dunno who's right chronik Tongue , but i did it your way back in the days and that resulted in bad shit , like soms sounds their frequenties did the job for the kicks but then the sounds were out the kicks had no power , then i thought it was the leveling and i struggled ... till i eq it right away

my scedual for a track:

- sound search , get myself a whole package of sounds wich i form an idea in my head
- start with drums , layering eqing adding sub to the drums allready till i have a basic drumloop
- then i make variations of the drums (copy paste change) or slicing , or whatever
- then i make my basic structure of the track
- i ad an intro , some basic sounds , basic ideas
- i go deep in the idea of the track , blend the reece on the drums eq things till i got some kind of 1st drop , the main idea of the track
- i build my whole track togheter , the sounds on the structure
- then i add effects , fx sounds , vocals , fadeins , fade outs , little but important changes , ...
- i use the record button (FL) to do filtering by hand Wink , effects by hand and every little fade detail.
- then i check my master channel and try not to use a compressor Wink , but i trow an EQout on it , check the whole track through an analyser and do the final eq touches.
- then i render my wav of the track + 320mp3 and im finished Smile
11-04-2007 13:08
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
quote:

Maybe that's a faster way to get things done, but EQing while composing is a part of the composing itself! I mean, the sound doesn't sound good and as I intended to sound if I don't apply volume and EQ changes.

if you have to eq a lot then maybe look for a different sound. or i have seen in mag's form some guys is not to care about the sound of the sanre, even if it's shit, cuz you can always replace it.

just get the track done.

this might be why everyone's submitting clips.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

12-04-2007 06:49 Homepage of Halph-Price
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:
quote:

this might be why everyone's submitting clips.

yeah, exactly Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
12-04-2007 14:00 Homepage of Muad'Dib
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
12-04-2007 15:49 Homepage of BattleDrone
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-04-2007 12:20 Homepage of Halph-Price
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Good resource. I'm putting this in the Tutorials / Knowledge base thread (read all production related informations here!) thread...

__

-Bene Gesserit
13-04-2007 17:13 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Oh, it's already been put. Big Grin

__

-Bene Gesserit
13-04-2007 17:15 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

good i don't think there's mcuh more i can say about eq'ing Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

you can usually bring down 5k in hi-hats.... there's always more.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

14-04-2007 02:05 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

I'm going to split off all sidechaining posts in another thread

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
19-04-2007 23:09 Homepage of thechronic
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » EQing the shit