drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » Site moved to temporary server
Go to the bottom of this page Site moved to temporary server
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Alright the site is moved to the new server and it is working again, at least partially Big Grin The server it is running on now is just a temporary solution, I borrowed some room on the server I use for my company websites but it has some limitations. Track downloads will not be possible here so we'll really need the brand new server soon!

The site has now been down for almost 2 days, sorry for that but I've been on it for more than 36 hours straight to get it transferred. I fell asleep while finally restoring the backup, woke up and the front page and forum are working again, hooray!! Bigup

I've now slept three hours lol. Need coffeeeee Drink

The forum had been online for a few hours yesterday but I had to shut it down again because the restore was corrupt. I actually have done the whole transfer three times since the old server crashed several times while making a backup and transferring the files. So sorry for the posts and PMs that are lost... emmetje I got a PM from you but didn't have the chance to read it Frown

Now what happened the last 36 hours: I disabled access to the old server, backed it up and transferred it to the new server. I figured it would take a couple of hours. Well it has been a bit longer lol

I can tell you now that tarring 40GB of data on the old server takes a very very very long time. I had to start over twice because the tarring crashed the server. I ended up making several smaller tars, and deleting very large files such as the DJ mixes which were still sitting on the server doing nothing. FTPing the tars to the new server takes ages, and I fell asleep after waiting for 2 hours doing the untarring lol.

Now the site is up but I notice problems and error messages everywhere. This server is running PHP5 and MySQL4.1, while the whole site was programmed for PHP4 and MySQL4.0, so I'll need to a lot of researching and programming today to get it all fixed.

The tunes and sample pack downloads will be disabled for now, I'll put notifications up one those pages.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
14-02-2006 10:19 Homepage of thechronic
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

The site seems to be a lot slower now. Probably because it is now shares the same server with a bunch of other sites. I also did some risky optimisations on the old server (like messing with the apache and mysql configs and caching the php scripts with beta software such as eaccelerator). I can't take any risks with this server, my clients' sites are on it!!

Bit of a weird feeling though that it got slower, the old server was a pentium III 1GHz, this one is an Athlon64 3000+!! Seems my optimisations were very effective Tongue

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
14-02-2006 10:34 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

They sure where, but I guess we can live with it, for the time being. Better a slow site than no site at all!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-02-2006 11:11 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks all for the massive PMs!! I've now answered them all, and I have to wait for a while now since the server is doing a verification which will last for a couple of hours probably. After that I can continue working on fixing it and the site will probably be a lot faster after the verification is finished.

I'm going to sleep for a couple of hours now, I'll try to get the rest of the site fixed by the end of the day.

__
14-02-2006 13:03 Homepage of thechronic
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Drumnbass.be news » Site moved to temporary server