drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » How do you like your MCs?
Poll: how do you want your mc s?
clear voice 15 31.91%
meaningfull content 12 25.53%
mumbo jumbo but cool flow 11 23.40%
not that important 9 19.15%
Total: 47 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page How do you like your MCs?
Author
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

quote:
Originally posted by Mush mc
quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Yeah, some MC's should kinda learn to adapt to the style playing...

This is absolutely true but, ...

Please stop generalising your bad experiences with some blokes as a hate towards mc s (techdiff). I said this befor but hey, WTF. We can be at this the whole day discussing wether we want mc s or not. Start a diff thread please, cause every time an mc discussion pops up, some people always wanna take it in that direction, despite the fact you said it before. Really man, been there, seen it, heard that, ...
And when you re spinning and you don t want people to mc, just tell them to stop, or cut the mic. simple as that. I don t say that you should ve let them spit, not at all. I even agree that a decent mc should deff know when to back out and especially whe the dj thinks his set will be better without, an mc has gotta have the respect to understand that. However, the story that you tell, really doesn t make me believe those guys where mc s. More like wanna be rudebwoys if you ask me.

Don t get me wrong, i don t wanna put you in your place or anything. I just wanted to know what people like about mc s so we can focus on that. A pitty the discussions always have to go this way. Frown

however, thanks to people who made usefull comments Bigup
apreciated

Not at all. My point is that most people Mc or otherwise, hear fast music and think that its DnB and therefore should have an MC over. People cant accept drumnbass without it a lot of the time. As I said before, a track written with the intention of having an MC over it can be really cool, but the MC has to know the track like the back of his/her hand. The DJs and producers have to so why shouldnt the MC? The point is that a track written for MCing over will have reletively little going on so that there is space for MCing, but a track with a lot going on has no space for MCing over and if the person playing it is the person who wrote it, theyre gonna get pissed off if someone is shouting over the top.
Ive heard good MC's and Ive heard some really shit ones too, but either way, I dont like it. Its more the fact that I dont like singers vocalists of any sort. The number of bands Ive played in with a vocalist who has to be the centre of attention but who actually puts the least amount of work in is staggering. What really took the piss for me was the fact that the drummer has forked out several hundreds for a decent kit, the bassist has forked out a grand on a good bass and amp, I'd spent a grand on a decent guitar and a loud enough amp. And then the vocalist turns up with a £10 microphone and asks to plug it into the FX loop on someones amp. The whole experiance has definately jaded me and I'll quite happily admit it. But for me there is no difference between a band with a vocalist, and a Live PA and MC. Ive spent ages writting and mixing tunes, worked out how to mix them all up into a live set. Bought a laptop/soundcard/midi controller to do it all with. And then an MC turns up asks if there is a mic because he wants to shout over my hard work. Sorry not gonna happen. If on the otherhand he/she had been there when writting the tunes, making suggestions, learnt the structure and arrangement of the tune, and then wrote some MEANINGFUL Lyrics then that'd be great. I think a good tune with great lyrics is brilliant, but Ive never met an MC who writes truly inspiring lyrics, as I said before, it often comes down to a poor skibba impression and one or two set pieces of mumbo jumbo meaningless crap.
I apologise if you do actual spend time writting something decent, but from my expeiances your definately in the minority.
06-02-2006 18:35
Mush mc Mush mc is a male
MentalLAB

Registration Date: 01-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

i notice you had quite some bad experiences with vocalists. But i keep incisting, not to go generalizing those. True that there are shitloads of wannabees out there but when they claim to be an mc while desperatly trying to mc over 210 bpm (your set), i think that sais enough Tongue
anyway, from the shit you have been trough with vocalists, i can understand you re not to keen on them.
However, try not to go hating cause indeed, some vocalists still make an effort to TRY and do something worth hearing Wink
On the other hand, i apoligize for reacting so stessed out. Maybe i took it a bit to personal. But i m getting really fed up with these kinda replies that insinuate that mc s can do nothing good. Nothing personal.

cheers

__
http://www.mentallab.com

07-02-2006 19:05 Homepage of Mush mc
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

No, its cool. Its not that I instantly hate MC's, just that I think that thee are far more rubbish ones than good ones. Thats all. I guess thats good in a way though because the really good ones do stand out more. I didnt think you'd flown off the handle or anything, and even if you had done I guess its justified seeing as my previous comments were far from sensitive.
I just think that too many MC's are trying to run before they can walk, trying to squeeze as many pointless words in as possible, when the chances are that one wouldve worked better. Its the same thing as a guitarist in a way. So many try to play as many notes as possible, but its the phrasing and feel, the meaning and emotionthat is really important. Its the gaps that make the music, not the notes.
I have heard some tunes with MC's which I have enjoyed, but I dont really dig the improvisation as much, again you can draw comparison to a guitar player. Learning all the scales and amzing licks, but when it comes to improv they play the same easy pentatonic shapes or set piece licks, which to me doesnt count as improvisation. Im sure that thinking up a rhyme on the spot is really really difficult, those that truely can do it a great but very very rare. The rest of the wanna be's are just infuriating.
07-02-2006 19:53
CONCEPT
unregistered
the mc has to be clear. ifeel their should be more mcs on this
site. when u have dark and nasty tune with rapid but clear lyrycs
it takes you on a journey. but i also really like hip hop vocals over
not so dark tunes. drum n bass comes first for me everything else
should be a bonus not music abuse. keep it clear

r.i.p stevie hyper

Bigup
07-02-2006 20:13
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

ok an mc has to have lots of skill.... otherwise its just stupid and embrassing for everyone... lol not really everyone... more just the mc him/herself. neva seen a chick mc aye.

and they cant be MCn while ur mixin... unless its a lil "here we go!" before the mix finishs or something lol.

and they cant be MCn all the time..... its very annoying... espically
when u cant clearly hear what they are spittin...

and they have to get the crowd pumpin..... they gotta talk up the builds n shit... then when it drops... stfu

then when a minimal sorta groove comes up with no mixing...
bust out some phat verses that make sense and are relivent.

i cant MC but i can be really critical about it Smile

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
08-02-2006 01:03 Homepage of anf0 D
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

hmm when showing sumone drumnbass when they aint heard it before an thers MCing it makes me embarresed, i find myself having to prove theres more to dnb than sum coked up bloke chattin shit over good tunes..

lately dnb MC's are jus ruining my music..

__
My Sounds
04-04-2006 04:31
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

i went to see Andy C do a two hour set the other week and hate to say it but MC's ruined it for me.
there was not 2 but 3! MC's on the mic the whole time. as soon as one finished the other got on and so on and so on and so on. and this wasn't just though his set it was all night.
and they weren't go MC's they were some local chav'd up morons from the local crack house!
But towards the end of his set came my favorite of the local mc's called Script. he is clear and has a good voice (without trying to sound cockney) and he knows when to let the music do the talkin, shame the other pricks didn't. Big Grin

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by D2o: 04-04-2006 08:28.

04-04-2006 08:27 Homepage of D2o
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff

Not at all. My point is that most people Mc or otherwise, hear fast music and think that its DnB and therefore should have an MC over. People cant accept drumnbass without it a lot of the time. As I said before, a track written with the intention of having an MC over it can be really cool, but the MC has to know the track like the back of his/her hand. The DJs and producers have to so why shouldnt the MC? The point is that a track written for MCing over will have reletively little going on so that there is space for MCing, but a track with a lot going on has no space for MCing over and if the person playing it is the person who wrote it, theyre gonna get pissed off if someone is shouting over the top.
Ive heard good MC's and Ive heard some really shit ones too, but either way, I dont like it. Its more the fact that I dont like singers vocalists of any sort. The number of bands Ive played in with a vocalist who has to be the centre of attention but who actually puts the least amount of work in is staggering. What really took the piss for me was the fact that the drummer has forked out several hundreds for a decent kit, the bassist has forked out a grand on a good bass and amp, I'd spent a grand on a decent guitar and a loud enough amp. And then the vocalist turns up with a £10 microphone and asks to plug it into the FX loop on someones amp. The whole experiance has definately jaded me and I'll quite happily admit it. But for me there is no difference between a band with a vocalist, and a Live PA and MC. Ive spent ages writting and mixing tunes, worked out how to mix them all up into a live set. Bought a laptop/soundcard/midi controller to do it all with. And then an MC turns up asks if there is a mic because he wants to shout over my hard work. Sorry not gonna happen. If on the otherhand he/she had been there when writting the tunes, making suggestions, learnt the structure and arrangement of the tune, and then wrote some MEANINGFUL Lyrics then that'd be great. I think a good tune with great lyrics is brilliant, but Ive never met an MC who writes truly inspiring lyrics, as I said before, it often comes down to a poor skibba impression and one or two set pieces of mumbo jumbo meaningless crap.
I apologise if you do actual spend time writting something decent, but from my expeiances your definately in the minority.

now that's one nice speech
couldn't agree more

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by baz: 05-04-2006 16:06.

05-04-2006 16:05 Homepage of baz
Mush mc Mush mc is a male
MentalLAB

Registration Date: 01-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

cool to see the thread is still gooing Smile

quote:
Originally posted by anf0 D
i cant MC but i can be really critical about it Smile

that s good man.
People who give constructive critisism are always apreciated.
Besides, we seem to share the same idea on it all.

On the thing with 3 mc s during 1 set, i also agree that that is too much. Especially when they each have a mic. Mc combo s are very hard to make em work. The mc s have to respect each other s space, they have to know each other s style and rhymes, and they constantly have to keep attention towards the dj and each other. I know only a few combo s that really work. But when they do, you deff get a killer set.
Party promotors make this mistake too.
For ex: if u book Andy C together with skibba, det and let s say shabba, and they all have to do their thing during the 2 houres Andy would play, u would witness a major clash between them becaus all of them want to show what they got.
And if some local guys just step up and want to mc, sorry if it sounds like disrespect or anything, but that s a NO go. Most of the time the dj wouldn t apreciate it either so..

greetings

__
http://www.mentallab.com

29-04-2006 12:32 Homepage of Mush mc
JayG JayG is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2085.jpg

Registration Date: 05-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

i just like my mc to sound good. mombo jumbo or not as long as it gets people dancein and sounds good that all that matters to me

__
www.myspace.com/jaygca
06-04-2007 00:05
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

some of them aint too bad, but when you do get a s**t mc, they completely ruin the set, i cant believe people actually pay people like dynamite and spmc! it really baffles me. its always the little rudeboys that want to be mc's that struggle to put a lyric to gether. they cant wait to grab the mic and say something like 1 2 3, i am an mc, look at me yabadabadee lol. my grandad could put a better lyric togther yet all their mates are like yeh blud u rinsed it innit wot. mc's with gaffa tape is deffinatly a good option. soi, i think curried wud be pukka

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
21-08-2007 15:37
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Well done with a good sauce... Devil
I want most of them to get the fuck out because they ruin the music.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
21-08-2007 15:40 Homepage of BattleDrone
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

For the record, I fukin hate MC's 90% of the time. Havin some prick talk shit over DnB just isn't right. I wanna hear the beats, the basslines, synths, etc! Let the music speak for itself!!!

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
21-08-2007 18:26 Homepage of Tomos
Dephonix Dephonix is a female
Sexy Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-2933.jpg

Registration Date: 21-03-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I like MC's to be minimalistic. a few rhymes here & there to keep the crowd going.
Timing is everything. If you got shit timing you got nothing except sounding sloppy.

__

DARK WAX RADIO

Aim Dennean2004
22-08-2007 02:04 Homepage of Dephonix
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

I like my MC like MC Elvee Happy
lol , yeah well sometimes female mc's are just that tad better.
23-08-2007 17:08
syneptic syneptic is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-2272.jpg

Registration Date: 11-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
5 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.60

quote:
Originally posted by anf0 D
neva seen a chick mc aye.

in vienna there was a chick - but after her second gig some dudes had papers with "shut down the "mc" " on it in the front row.

Tongue

__
www.myspace.com/djsyneptic
23-08-2007 20:18 Homepage of syneptic
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

no offence to female mc's but they are no way as good as guys on the mic.
maybe its a presence thing, or maybe its a "sounding tough" thing
but they are rubbish compared to dudes.
i've seen a few here in the uk and i just think they should stick to singing.

MCMC and STEVIE HYPER D back in the day.

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
25-08-2007 02:12
psymon psymon is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 20-10-2006

MC's on the whole can ruin an otherwise decent set with constant chatter an all that 'biddy biddy' bollocks, especially local boyz who think they've got skills......no u haven't..fuck off back to the corner where u were shottin pills an stay there!!!!

There are a few exceptions of course....man like the Hyper D (rip)
26-08-2007 23:16
psymon psymon is a male
Tourist

Registration Date: 20-10-2006

[/quote]

More like wanna be rudebwoys if you ask me.
[/quote]

^theres the correct answer to the thread!
26-08-2007 23:23
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

if a man can chat....GOOD. then let him! if they shout then they should be shot.

fearless can spit big time! hyper d was the man so rip!

mc's should always at the right time let the music talk for its self n if they do its a good sign for them cos people will remember them for this than screaming all over a set.

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

13-09-2007 00:27 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Pages (3): « previous 1 [2] 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » DJ booth » DJs & MCs » How do you like your MCs?