drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Cheap monitors - is it worth it?
Go to the bottom of this page Cheap monitors - is it worth it?
Author
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Yeah, look at the dB@1W. I think mostly that starts off around 80dB-90dB for decent monitors, at 1 meter mostly.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-01-2006 07:26 Homepage of Surya
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

I found this http://emusician.com/images/archive/REFERENCEMONITORS.pdf

it's in PDF sou you'll need Acrobat. er, not exactly newest but it's kinda useful

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
27-01-2006 07:44 Homepage of cynik
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Now that's a useful document Bigup must have been a hell of a job compiling that Shocked

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
27-01-2006 12:41 Homepage of thechronic
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

good monitors cost good money and last you longer. don't say bullshit about not having enough money. get a fucking job ya wanker. you cannot pirate active nearfields. you can find good deals though.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 29-01-2006 00:20.

29-01-2006 00:20 Homepage of Halph-Price
Yawn Yawn is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-2715.jpg

Registration Date: 25-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.27

I've managed to up my budget a bit & Ive been looking at second hand Edirol MA series active nearfields. They seem to average at about £50 on ebay - not incredibly loud but spec wise they dont look too bad.

Anyone got them or used them?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Yawn: 07-02-2006 15:43.

30-01-2006 10:58
Gorlock Gorlock is a male
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-1624.jpg

Registration Date: 13-06-2006

ok you guys keep mentioning amps for passive monitors...
the word "amp" is really generic

are you talking about low frequency speaker?
or something else?

i don't want hella bass... i get that with my sennheiser headphones... i need something that is balanced and will give me a natural sound that will enhance my producing and future mixing. i need a few reference points: crappy speakers, decent ones (monitors), and headphones. I just need the monitors now.

and i'm assuming that active monitor speakers don't require an amp?

i'm completely new to this and i really want to get a decent setup

thanks

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Gorlock: 20-06-2006 06:04.

20-06-2006 05:56
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

I dont see whats generic about the word amp. Its an amplifier.
If you buy some active monitors then you wouldnt need an external amplifier since the amplification is taken care of within the monitor itself. This has its advantages because it means that the amp will be suited towards the monitor and will not add colouration to the sound. You want to get exactly whats coming out of your soundcard, nothing more or less.
Passive monitors do not have built in amplifiers and rely on an external amp for their power, this has the advantage that you are not restricted to one amp so comparison is much easier. The other advantage is that you can buy high quality external amps far cheeper than active monitors with a similar amp inside. The disadvantage is that passive monitors will be pointless is you dont have an amp which is suited for them. They will sound shit in a bad way.

This is why you need acurate monitors, quite often a typical hi fi will add colouration to the sound to compensate for shit speakers or a crappy amplifier, this is why if you buy really nice speakers and hook them up to a cheepo hifi unit it'll sound really shit. It is important to have an acurate amplifier too. I'd suggest looking at either expensive active monitors, or resonanbly expensive passive monitors and a good quality amplifier. More often than not, the prices will work out about the same.
I opted for passives with external amps since it allows a lot of flexibility. Both amps have speaker set switches which allow you too switch between different pairs of speakers. This makes comparison between diffent setups really easy. I think this is an often overlooked part of monitoring. If your using just one setup,you'll get used to making things sound good on that setup, but there is a lways the chance that it'll sound gash on others. If you have 2 different types of amps and 2 very different speaker setups you have 4 different combinations, all of which sound different.
Ive got a Nad power amp which has a clean and acurate sound, and a Denon hifi amp which is very coloured. I the run these through either my passive moniors which have a nice clean sound, or through a pair of floor standers which produce a load of flabby bass and sound pretty bad IMO.
The point is that a well mixed track will sound good on any setup you play it through. My mixes are no where near this but Im sure they are getting better.
20-06-2006 11:37
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
I dont see whats generic about the word amp. Its an amplifier.
If you buy some active monitors then you wouldnt need an external amplifier since the amplification is taken care of within the monitor itself. This has its advantages because it means that the amp will be suited towards the monitor and will not add colouration to the sound. You want to get exactly whats coming out of your soundcard, nothing more or less.
Passive monitors do not have built in amplifiers and rely on an external amp for their power, this has the advantage that you are not restricted to one amp so comparison is much easier. The other advantage is that you can buy high quality external amps far cheeper than active monitors with a similar amp inside. The disadvantage is that passive monitors will be pointless is you dont have an amp which is suited for them. They will sound shit in a bad way.

why didn't i know this before??

quote:
My mixes are no where near this but Im sure they are getting better.

urging to hear Devil

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
20-06-2006 17:17 Homepage of baz
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
My mixes are no where near this but Im sure they are getting better.

And sure mastering helps a lot there... Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
23-06-2006 14:49 Homepage of Muad'Dib
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Yeah, for sure. But I cant afford it. I can barely afford CD's to burn tracks onto.
23-06-2006 18:15
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Well, shhh, I have a little secret for you...

You can learn it by yourself enough to sound good enough for a CD Wink

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
23-06-2006 18:59 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Gorlock Gorlock is a male
Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-1624.jpg

Registration Date: 13-06-2006

hey techdiff that really clears some stuff up
i appreciate it

__

25-06-2006 17:09
Vaski Vaski is a male

Registration Date: 21-08-2006

i couldnt afford studio monitros, so what i did was went and bought some nice headphones.

they still work really nice, and im really glad i bought them. if your gonna buy studio monitors, wait untill you can get some decent ones. i just got mine about 6 months ago after a long time of waiting... it was so worth it Big Grin

__
www.myspace.com/vaski
24-08-2006 02:07
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

if anyones got the time can i get their opinions on the "Roland DM-1200 2.1ch Speaker System" Cheers

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
01-09-2006 13:29
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

I have AKG K-66 monitors, and they are awesome!!

__

-Bene Gesserit
01-09-2006 17:37 Homepage of Muad'Dib
junglist06 junglist06 is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-2586.jpg

Registration Date: 12-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by crushfuck
Im on the lookout for some monitors coz at the moment im producing with hi fi speakers Frown (although they are fairly decent to be fair) but I have one major problem.....money. I literally have fuck all money so my budget doesnt stretch very far.

im in the same boat fella

__
aka D-Man.....salute the junglist general
12-03-2007 13:46
Pages (2): « previous 1 [2]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Cheap monitors - is it worth it?