drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Perc sample processing tips (4jungle)
Go to the bottom of this page Perc sample processing tips (4jungle)
Author
Hidden identity Hidden identity is a male
Wicked Producer

Registration Date: 17-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.21

The percussion samples that i hear in jungle lines and amens sound alot difforent to me then real acustic drums and i dunno if drum kits ever normaly sound like that...

I want advice on ways of processing / modifying things like acustic snares and rides and kicks, etc. Any tips?

__
I'm trying to unfuck my sig.
30-12-2005 13:26
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

1. record them into your sampler (wavelab here) be sure to cut at 0-piont crossings to avoid clicks. I usually sample drumrolls as a while t hld their original groove.

2. eq, very important to fit everything into the mix.

3. distortion: I allways use the fruity blood overdrive plugin, becuz of it's warm analog sound.

3. compression: I use it rarely, in some cases to make the kicks fit in better or to make them pump more. never on snares or hats.

4. Layering: next t eq'ing the most imprtant thing imo. layer the same the on different notes, layer different snares, and eventually pan a bit to the right or the left. I allways process the layered drums tgether thru one fxchannel.

__

30-12-2005 15:10 Homepage of Emblem-X
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

ive used eq on the samples,
but i do not have pre-eq for recording :-z

1 thing i realized one time is if you cut the initial snare or kick percussion sound out and its a little tap sound, you can put that through artificial reverb and make a new sort of drum room in that way for an entirely difforent sound.

Infact, are there any drum-reverb-emulation vsts on the net for free that you've seen or heard before?

__
I'm trying to unfuck my sig.
30-12-2005 16:41
Daemon79 Daemon79 is a male
Steppa

Registration Date: 24-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

The original amen from "Amen my brother" was a 140bpm break which had been speed up to a 174bpm without correcting the pitch.
04-01-2006 23:55
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by Hidden identity
1 thing i realized one time is if you cut the initial snare or kick percussion sound out and its a little tap sound, you can put that through artificial reverb and make a new sort of drum room in that way for an entirely difforent sound.

true! good tip

also don't forget about filtering

__

04-01-2006 23:57 Homepage of Emblem-X
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
The percussion samples that i hear in jungle lines and amens sound alot difforent to me then real acustic drums and i dunno if drum kits ever normaly sound like that...

I want advice on ways of processing / modifying things like acustic snares and rides and kicks, etc. Any tips?

a lot of what has been done in the amens and other drums in dnb gave been processed to a great extent...

when dom created the tramen he initially used 16 different samples... all in which have been edited...

amens sound like crap alone.. theyre layered, overdriven, and the enveloped are played with to get distinc sounds...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

05-01-2006 00:37
Wicked Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

a lot of what has been done in the amens and other drums in dnb gave been processed to a great extent...

when dom created the tramen he initially used 16 different samples... all in which have been edited...

amens sound like crap alone.. theyre layered, overdriven, and the enveloped are played with to get distinc sounds...

Yah, sometimes i will layer a bunch of sampes and add effects and envilopes on each volume shape of each sample (if i have to) and then i will use these special samples for drum loops that i would make.

WAY less work to just buy a sample cd... But i wanna make sample cds. Big Grin
05-01-2006 11:34
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
quote:

Yah, sometimes i will layer a bunch of sampes and add effects and envilopes on each volume shape of each sample (if i have to) and then i will use these special samples for drum loops that i would make.

WAY less work to just buy a sample cd... But i wanna make sample cds. Big Grin

buy a sample cd...chop up THOSE breaks...and program your own... thats how it should be done Smile

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

05-01-2006 17:42
@1$-)
unregistered
quote:
Originally posted by Surora23

buy a sample cd...chop up THOSE breaks...and program your own... thats how it should be done Smile

yup. nothing wrong with creative sampling of ye olde choonage though
06-01-2006 04:27
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Perc sample processing tips (4jungle)