drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » compressing individual tracks
Go to the bottom of this page compressing individual tracks
Author
mentalist

images/avatars/avatar-1818.jpg

Registration Date: 17-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.50

ok, anyway . . . so am I to understand its not really all that important to compress the final mixdown, but you should compress the individual tracks? I swear compression seems to be one of those things everybody seems to have there own litle ideas and "superstitions" about. Personally, though I think I finally get the concept, I have yet to find it make an appreciable improvement to what I make. But that is no doubt my own incompetence. Would it be fair to say, that compression is designed to make your sound a little less raw? Is this why they dont use it when mastering jazz and classical music?

alright, so do you use different kinds of ratios and thresholds for different types of layer - drums, bass, leads etc? and if so, what?

edit by thechronic: this has been split off from the thread compressing at the end

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by broadside: 13-08-2005 11:16.

13-08-2005 11:16
@1$-)
unregistered
a compressor squashes the dynamic range of a sound.....so you can use them to place something in a mix, yknow it enables you to tighten up lots of "flabby" sounds, so you can squeeza more into a track.......well....if you do it properly Big Grin

and yes you do use different thresholds and ratios for different instruments.......but its a bit difficult to tell someone what to do exactly as its horses for courses....it just depends what a sound requires.....try a decent quality compressor with lots of presets you can load up, then check the settings on the presest and listen to what they do to a sound.......personaklly i lke waves audiotrack.....
13-08-2005 14:23
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by broadside
Would it be fair to say, that compression is designed to make your sound a little less raw? Is this why they dont use it when mastering jazz and classical music?

Depending on how you use the compressor it can start to sound very rough indeed.

They don't use (much) compression in jazz and classic because these are music styles which are very dynamic, ie there is a big difference between the loudest and the softest parts of the music. By using compression you make it less dynamic and that's unwanted in those styles.

quote:
Originally posted by broadside
alright, so do you use different kinds of ratios and thresholds for different types of layer - drums, bass, leads etc? and if so, what?

You have to set it up manually every time, depending on the effect you want to achieve. There are no rules about it, it all depends on the context, the sound you're after, the way the sound is placed in the mix, the way it is recorded or played, ...

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
14-08-2005 18:01 Homepage of thechronic
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

I don't know where my fault is , but i always need to compress my bass in order to fit on the drums.
surly if i distort my bass.

but when i compress my drums , they slam much harder but then they are like ... muddy.

I don't know much about ration , treshold or knee - settings so i guess theres my prob.
13-10-2005 19:28
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

quote:
Originally posted by greyone
I don't know much about ration , treshold or knee - settings so i guess theres my prob.

read the FL manual/ help part for compressor Wink

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
13-10-2005 20:37 Homepage of Friscko
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Nah, just fiddle around with the knobs untill it sounds best Smile

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-10-2005 07:41 Homepage of Surya
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » compressing individual tracks