drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Orion Pro/(max msp?)
Go to the bottom of this page Orion Pro/(max msp?)
Author
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 24-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

Does anybody know if these program are anything to have? Is orion good enough in sound quality? And I've read that max is one of the most complicated musicprograms ever made, but that it's well worth its time.

edit by thechronic: more information on these programs can be found here:
Synapse Audio Orion
Cycling 74 Max/MSP

__
--------------------------------------------------
da rollaz, da steppaz da true playaz
10-07-2005 23:03 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
Darkside Darkside is a male
Old-School Rolla

images/avatars/avatar-955.jpeg

Registration Date: 02-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.71

never heard of max, man...
but orion...well synapse was never really much of a dazzling company, but i guess it's alright. it's good enough in sound quality, sure. maybe you wont have much luck findin other people that have it around here, nobody talks about havin it much anyway.
i have orion platinum, but i just use fruityloops over it.
so there's my opinion on that one.
what software are you using right now?? maybe you dont need to upgrade, maybe you should just learn about what you have first and you'll be able to get great results with it. Big Grin
11-07-2005 02:25
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

well i think... orion pro kicks FL ass... doesnt eat so much CPU, but FL has more FX slots, thats the only plus i can find.

the only program i use to make beaats is orion pro... dont bother mastering in other programs after rendering because i dont really need to.

orion pro / platnum both pretty good.

dunno max either.

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
12-07-2005 07:54 Homepage of anf0 D
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Download the demo versions of our music software, and try before you buy.

oh i'll try before i buy. it is nice. does seem like an amazing alternative to FL studio. niiiiiiice. anyone got the patch update for it?

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

12-07-2005 17:01 Homepage of Halph-Price
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Max MSP is outstanding but a real head fuck to use. The possibilities are pretty much unlimited but it takes a long time to get youre head around. There are even collage courses specifically for learning it.
If you are new to in depth programing and Synthesis techniques I would not recomend it, but if you do know what your doing the reasults are really rewarding. Ive finished a piece not long ago where the entire composition is improvised by the computer itself. All I did was design the sounds for it to use. Very autechre style.(I think they use MSP a lot)Let me know if you want to hear it.
There is a free demo version on the Cycling 74 website if you fancy giving it a go.
Alternitavely give NI Reaktor a try. Its far more intuitive and an amazingly powerful program too.
12-07-2005 19:29
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

I've used Fl studio for a long time. I'm pretty happy with it. It's easy and functionall and does all I want, but it is a bit limited. You need softsynths to beeing able to have som nice sounds from it. Then the effects are not so good, so you have to "get" som quality plugins for it. Peaple say that the soundquality isn't good enough compared to other programs, but I can't say that I hear some difference. I have not done a A/B test, but I think the sound quality is satisfying in Fl compared to for example cubase. Becouse of the fact that everybody says that cubase have a better soundquality I'm thinking of rewireing Fl to cubase.
I know this programs every funktion (fl studio). I've heard about this programs and checked the websites. Orion looks cheap like aturia storm, but I'm not shure. When I looked at Max MSP it sounded like you had to be able to program computers in (C?) to get any sound. Then I lissened to sound exaples from Cycling 74s lable. It didn't sound like traditional music, most sounds... And I'm interested in doing drumnbass.

__
13-07-2005 16:17 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

It isnt traditional but neither really is drum and bass.
The formula is too stuck and because of people being unwilling to experiment with sounds and progression, the chances are that it will become traditional and stale before too long.
I agree with you interms of FL though. Its a great program and really intuative. The sound quallity is not really any different to that of cubase logic or whatever. The effects however are dire, and the lack of FULL Vst support is becoming more and more frustrating with every update.
Ive got into the habit of bouncing seperate tracks for Drums,Bass,Atmos,and miscelanious stuff into Logic and using the Multipressor and Adlimiter for a final Mixdown,this can really make up for the lack of decent mastering effects etc in FL.
Id honestly suggest you have a look at Reaktor. It allows you to work as simply or as In depth as you like. Be it loading up a synth into youre host sequencer as any other VST, or designing your own synth with 8 oscillators, 4 filter paths with 8 stage envelopes, As many LFOs as you can shake a stick at. and anything else you deside to throw at it.
And not only synths, you can make Drummachines,Effects racks,Samplers,Sequencers and integrate it all together in ways that make Reason look like a kids toy(Which it is)!!!!
Sorry if Im sounding like a NI Rep, but i really cant sing this programs praises enough.
As for rewireing FL through cubase, it might be worth a try but it might put a massive strain on you CPU and RAM. Id rather do the damage with VSTi's like Absynth and Reaktor.
13-07-2005 19:24
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

all hail absynth and reaktor.

and dnb that makes you go "that's not really dnb, it's just really fast weird noises with a kick."

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

13-07-2005 20:06 Homepage of Halph-Price
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
all hail absynth and reaktor.

and dnb that makes you go "that's not really dnb, it's just really fast weird noises with a kick."

Hell yeah. I Second that!!
13-07-2005 20:22
anf0 D anf0 D is a male
CXNT

images/avatars/avatar-1601.jpg

Registration Date: 31-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
16 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

we talkin about orion or fruity here?

__
[R] CentaSpike :: Tracks
15-07-2005 02:09 Homepage of anf0 D
Abnormalbrain Abnormalbrain is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by anf0 D
we talkin about orion or fruity here?

We are talking about both... The threads main subjekt is orion, and I compared it to Fl studio, couse I wanted to know if it was worth changing.

__
15-07-2005 19:32 Homepage of Abnormalbrain
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

the latence in orion is awfull, don't know why tho.....

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped
15-07-2005 19:45
Diasporah Diasporah is a male
Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3406.jpeg

Registration Date: 04-08-2005

WHOA THERE BUDDIES!!!!!!

Dont sleep on Orion!!!!! Very underated and slept on program...I know some of yall cats use the HYDRA and Junglist VST so those can easily tell you that SYNAPSE fawkin rawkz....

www.synapse-audio.com

__

09-08-2005 10:15 Homepage of Diasporah
border border is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1241.gif

Registration Date: 20-05-2004

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff...Very autechre style.(I think they use MSP a lot)Let me know if you want to hear it.
There is a free demo version on the Cycling 74 website if you fancy giving it a go.
Alternitavely give NI Reaktor a try. Its far more intuitive and an amazingly powerful program too.

Autechre doens't use much other than Max/MSP
There is one other FREE alternative too, which is made by one of the original developers of Max (Miller Puckette, and it is kind of a cooperation, so it's very similar)
Pure Data (pd)

http://puredata.info/
17-10-2005 11:24
TechDiff

Helpfulness rating: 

PD is very similar but from what Ive seen, Its a lot more complicated and less user friendly, not that Max is exactly user friendly either.
Autechre use Max to control a lot of outboard gear like old drum machines and stuff as well as patches inside max. But noone should really try to make stuff the same as them, It would take away so much from their originality.
17-10-2005 13:01
border border is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1241.gif

Registration Date: 20-05-2004

Idd PD is less documented, and a bit more low level (although it may only look like that), but they are working on that. But since it's open source and so there is no money involved it goes rather slowly.

But it's just a great piece of software, it has a lot of capabilities, which means that the learning curve is not very fast. You have to put more time in it...

And there are courses about max yes, like in my school. Unfortunately I had to choose between c++ and max, and being a programmer I chose c++, since it has all the freedom you need, which max and pd obviously don't have.
So there really are still things you cannot do with them too (like creating a vocoder in which you can choose the number of filters...)
But for these things there's also SuperCollider and Csound...

And I heard that you can use Max as a VST. I don't know if its also possible with pd (but I think that in Linux you can use it in fe Rosegarden)
18-10-2005 20:27
fogga
Steppa

Registration Date: 23-10-2005

quote:
Originally posted by Diasporah
WHOA THERE BUDDIES!!!!!!

Dont sleep on Orion!!!!! Very underated and slept on program...I know some of yall cats use the HYDRA and Junglist VST so those can easily tell you that SYNAPSE fawkin rawkz....

www.synapse-audio.com

I'm no software pro but why get Orion when you can pick up Cubase SE 3 for under £100?
28-10-2005 00:26
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Orion Pro/(max msp?)