drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » rating your own tracks.
Go to the bottom of this page rating your own tracks.
Author
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by spudleyq
Edit: Removed because I'm an idiot

ROFL amazing.. no youre not, everyone just got carried away...

no flaming thread either... the new voting system will iron everything out.. lol

munki c is right, now let us all live in peace and harmony

Hug

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
08-07-2005 19:25 Homepage of cynik
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

Haha, no....I really was acting like an idiot, I was letting my own personal problems flow through into this board......and that's just stupid.

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.
08-07-2005 19:42 Homepage of spudleyq
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

well in 99% of your post youve been nothing but helpful.. thats why you got the max rating from me.. those amen techniques for example

and I get thats what this place is all about.. if we want war, lets play a war video-game over the net.... and come back here afterwards

__
08-07-2005 20:04 Homepage of cynik
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

In the end, what the flaming got to do with rating your own track.....

Come on people, you don't need to justify yourself..... Even if you're serieous about your musik, no one care that you rate your track or not.... Just show how motivated you are, matter is the way you used......

But once again, doesn't matter, if you think that people gonna review yours tracks more....

I don't care so much since i've uploaded only 2 traks here, for testing purposes only, and now< i'm working on my own since i don't only produce dnb, and i can point easily on my mistakes......

Once i'll be happy with the quality, i'll share.....

That's it, and NO, spudleyq, you're not an idiot because you speak your mind.....

Peace

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped
08-07-2005 22:13
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

(I moved this to PM)

There is a problem in simply subtracting 10 points off the total: a track that has been rated lets say 5 times and has a total of 40/50 reduced to 30/50 (=0.6) will be disproportionally penalized when compared to a track that has been rated 10 times and has a total of 80/100 reduced to 70/100 (=0.7).

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Nosrac: 09-07-2005 16:17.

08-07-2005 23:27 Homepage of Nosrac
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

I think he 'punished' only ones that gave themselves 10...

__
09-07-2005 01:05 Homepage of cynik
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

The punishments I did is just a symbolic gesture, I had to do something because a lot of people were complaining. It will now at least help to reduce the number of own votes.

When the new voting system is done all current ratings will disappear anyway. In the beginning it will still temporarily show the current rating so there won't be any tracks without rating. As soon as somebody rates a track the temporary rating will be erased and the new rating will be shown.

The new system will have two advantages which will make it as fair as possible:
- the detailed descriptions of every rating will make the ratings much more relevant. Eg a 10/10 will be described as 'this is the best track I ever heard', which will make it a less obvious option for a mediocre track, it will hopefully even keep newbies from giving the maximum score for a track that doesn't deserve it.
- it will use median calculations instead of a plain average so offshoot votes will not skew the rating. If 3 experienced members rate a track a justly 2/10 and one newbie rates it 10/10 because he doesn't know any better, the rating will still show 2/10, not the average value which would be 4/10.

I have thought about the system for a long time, and I don't think it's humanly possible to make it fairer than that Big Grin
One thing I could also do is suppressing the display of the rating until a track got at least 3 votes.

In the long run the system will also allow to see details about the votes in a private producer control panel. You would be able to see which people voted for your track, so you can return the favour, and I could even make stuff such as charts that show your quality progression over several months.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
09-07-2005 01:28 Homepage of thechronic
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

whoa, that's even better than what I thought.. Bigup

__
09-07-2005 01:32 Homepage of cynik
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

I'll happily admit to voting for myself.
To say that you didnt realize it was wrong is bollocks.
But the motive is extremly understandable,
Because of the massive amount of tracks on the site (No bad thing at all)its easy for a tune to disappear into the depths of the forum, and is natural for you to want as many people to listen to your tune as posiible, there for, by voting for it you can keep the tune acsesible. Besides, youre not gonna go searching through hundreds of tunes for any particular one, are you.
Also, if you are gonna vote for yourself, why give yourself anything but a ten??
If you dont believe in a tune 100%, why should anyone else?
I think its fair that im punished for my crimes, but hopefully the motive is more than understandable.
09-07-2005 01:35
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

Chronic: that sounds great!

Tech Diff: many users post unfinished (suggestions?), old tracks (worth going back to?), etc. type of tracks that they do not believe in 100% - that's what makes this site unique: you can post these iffy tracks and get constructive criticism before going back to them or chucking them out all together. I assume most people would send 100% finished vinyl ready tracks straight to the labels rather than posting them on a site where they can be downloaded and played with final scratch at a club free of charge. I dunno, that's just how I've always thought of this site - perhaps others see it differently. Happy

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
09-07-2005 02:29 Homepage of Nosrac
@1$-)
unregistered
YO CHRONIC!!!!
cant you show in the tune review thread exactly who has rated it and at what rating?
09-07-2005 18:20
Sykotic
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.50

To me the reviews are far more important than the ratings. The only thing that the ratings actually accomplish is to get the occasional "tourist" to check yer material....but what good does that do for you? They won't drop you a review. And that's what counts, cuz that is how you learn; from the tips and criticizm of yer peers. I never pay any attention to the ratings when downloading tracks to review.
I know I am something of a newbie here, but my sound has improved greatly in a short time thanks to the reviews from some of you who acctually know what you are talking about.
Also, you never know how your tracks are gonna sound to fresh ears, cuz you've already heard piece by piece repeating over and over again. (you get desensitised) Those fresh ears, especially the ones who actually know something about music and sound, provide your most essential feeback.
So who really cares how many stars your track gets... it is whats in the reviews that really matter to you. Bigup

__

09-07-2005 23:58
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Helpfulness rating: 

its true the reviews matter more for your own production but those ratings in the past worked well in getting the "tune of the month" acclaim. with these ratings fucked up we wont be having that... and thechronic worked on free mastering of the tune which would be the month's best.. and I think we all agree thats dope so...

__
10-07-2005 11:44 Homepage of cynik
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
YO CHRONIC!!!!
cant you show in the tune review thread exactly who has rated it and at what rating?

Not with the current system, it just logs the users which have cast a vote, and the rating total. So the average shown is calculated [rating total] / [number of votes].

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
10-07-2005 20:28 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
its true the reviews matter more for your own production but those ratings in the past worked well in getting the "tune of the month" acclaim. with these ratings fucked up we wont be having that... and thechronic worked on free mastering of the tune which would be the month's best.. and I think we all agree thats dope so...

No the ratings have nothing to do with it actually. Surya and me hand pick the tracks. Surya listens to each and every track that is posted, and he has a very strong own opinion and never gets influenced by any number of stars Cool

__
10-07-2005 20:36 Homepage of thechronic
Emblem-X Emblem-X is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-232.jpg

Registration Date: 10-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

quote:
Originally posted by MUNKI C
i think the chronic needs to add a new flaming thread as well.
that way all bitching can happen in there.

chill the fuck out.......
look im pretty serious...but i like listening to peeps tunes and letting them know what i think.even if they dont want to hear....plus it gives me some perspective on where i am with my own stuff.......thats why the site is good....now stop calling each other names.... ROFL

2nd

__

11-07-2005 01:35 Homepage of Emblem-X
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

This flaming stated to bug me out. I followed this discussion a quite bit of time, imidiately after its start, and I noticed that some members can't hold their horses. I point specifically to Surora32 here.

Firstly, flaming won't help. I know exactly what you are yellin (a figure of speech) about but DAMN this is a bulletin board, a forum - so what if you write in that tone when some people are dumb and can't understand you.
Second, if I were someone else I would have found myself ofended and outraged by your statement that those 5 people are worthy and others are worth the shit. I have other philosophy in my life so I don't get insulted, but other members might be and you will scary them off the site... which is NOT very productive about dnb.be, is it now?
Third, if you still want to solve these matters concerning people rating their own tracks etc. I suggest thechronic to give you permission to form an expelling team which will specifically work on warning and giving expelling permissions on people that put their heads too high. In this team the most objectively-emphasyzing people will get together and agree upon their judgement when some member crossed the line.

And that would be all about you. That was my most sincere answer pointed to you, and you have to come up with the way of dealing with it and its points.

And I have another suggestion to thechronic:
the ew rating system should have another component - the reliability.

All registered members will be able to vote, right? But those people that write no comments and juz vote don't help us too much, do they? Here comes the RELIABILITY integer.

Everyone at start have RELIABILITY integer of 1. That means that they vote is multiplied by this value and then added into the value of the rating of the track. The maths:

you rate the track (with all parameters like dancefloor quality, FX quality etc..) summed 7 stars. Your reliability factor is 1 so the end that is added to the full score of the track is:

7 x 1 = 7

Now, if anyone just rates a track and writes less than 15 words in a comment (the value is picked to stop the flaming and at least to write something to the author), their reliability factor decreases for 20%. From RELIABILITY 1 you will have RELIABILITY 0.8

So maths: 7 x 0.8 = 5,6 so 5,6 is added as your vote.

If you write from 15-30 words you RELIABILITY is decreased for 10%.

So say you rate one track with 7 but you wrote 10 words so your reliability decreased to 0.8 and your rate for the track became 5.6; Now you write another track with 6 but you wrote 24 words and your reliability was decreased for another 10%, 0.8 - 10% = 0.72 and your second rating of 6, by maths, became 6 x 0.72 = 4.32;

If you write between 30 and 45 words your reliability remains the same.

If you write from 45 to 60 words, you reliability rises for 10%.

Above 60 words and it rises for 15%.

My guess is that anyone writing above 60 words postes not a shitty dumb reply, but a thoughtful and helpful one.

The reliability will not be able to decrease more than 0.333 (one third) or increase more than 1.0;

This would help us further clearify the ratings and cut the lamers and noobies from extruding the quality indicator of the tracks.

And someone might say: "yeah right, I will have to write something on every track just to get my reliability rating in significant amount. That is shit"; Well, just to remind you, we all want our tracks to have comments right? Admit it, you juz love when you see that arrow next to the thread which indicates that someone wrote something in your track's thread! This will force people to write at lease little more than normal.

So what say you, thechronic?

PS Surora32, about compression thing that you mentioned earlier - I guess that was me who made such comment (or someone who tried to imitate me). But did you know that compression can come out just with some certain combinations of sounds? And if I heard compression and you haven't added it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Smile

THIS was my TaKKE on THIS Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
11-07-2005 02:16 Homepage of Muad'Dib
@1$-)
unregistered
how abot making sure you just cant rate a track unless you review it.... Big Grin

chill peeps ....wheels are in motion....now play nicely!!! or ill come round with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. Gangsta

i always wanted to use that smiley

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by utter muppet: 11-07-2005 02:45.

11-07-2005 02:43
Arkitekt Arkitekt is a male
Brain Fried Amen Bastard

Registration Date: 13-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
11 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.82

He has a point.

__
VIRB

DARKLAND144
DARKLAND115
11-07-2005 11:45 Homepage of Arkitekt
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by muaddib
PS Surora32, about compression thing that you mentioned earlier - I guess that was me who made such comment (or someone who tried to imitate me). But did you know that compression can come out just with some certain combinations of sounds? And if I heard compression and you haven't added it, it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Smile

THIS was my TaKKE on THIS Bigup

no that wasnt you...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

11-07-2005 17:24
Pages (5): « previous 1 2 3 [4] 5 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Urban area » Bug reports & suggestions » rating your own tracks.