drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Building your own speakers
Go to the bottom of this page Building your own speakers 2 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.002 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-791.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.29

money, money, money, must be funny in a pompompom,....
but than 1000 times louder(with the soundsystem you would like to built)
Rinse

__
17/03 : Somewhere in Borgerhout...
09-04-2005 00:48
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

At the moment i'm having a dillemma about what to do with the money im going to earn(hopefully) this summer
or
1) I build that soundsystem
2) I buy me a new pair of heads (record player)
3) I buy me a new mixer
4) I buy me a hell a lot records

Guess ill be workin at the russian mafia this summer Tongue

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
09-04-2005 00:52 Homepage of Friscko
-KP-
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

do you know how much you can earn with prostitution? you cant imagine

__
09-04-2005 00:58
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

Yeah, or selling crack

__

09-04-2005 00:59 Homepage of Friscko
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

speakerplans, but out of turkey
www.mcsoundlight.com/horn.htm
hahaha, lol
maybe you get a free kebab if u build one of those

(this is my 400th post
100 to Master Producer
266 to etorG eD nataS/tearG ehT nataS)

__

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Friscko: 09-04-2005 02:01.

09-04-2005 01:52 Homepage of Friscko
-KP-
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah fine , but i would like to know more about crossovers, how does that work and how do you know which one you need to buy?

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by -KP-: 09-04-2005 13:35.

09-04-2005 01:57
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

Is it possible to build mini horn subs?
got a lil subwoofer (cd-size, 20w) lyin' here and like to try some things with it....

__

11-04-2005 23:07 Homepage of Friscko
potatohead potatohead is a male

images/avatars/avatar-824.jpg

Registration Date: 07-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

lucid sound....has about 2 18" Cerwin Vega bassbins, 1 18" yamaha sub, 2 18" yorkville pulses, 2 15" cerwin vega full range(woofer and a tweeter), 4 15" JBL eons(self-amped), 1 10" JBL eon, 1 crown 2000 amp, 1 crown 1000 amp, a crossover, and a power strip. That is all you need for a decent soundsystem. And DNB sounds great on that system!!!! Still doesn't beat speakerplans.com or the valve system.

__
F.R.I.T.
Jungle Bums
www.ROCDNB.com
12-04-2005 13:38
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Celestion makes some good speakers too.

The total amount of Watts is a very variable factor, depends on how you measure them. 2x100W total with low distortion should be plenty for a home studio system. If you judge the Watts as told by the manufacturers divide it by half as a rough guide, you'll get much less distortion if you don't drive them too hard. So if you want a reasonable loud system of above 100dBa @ 1m the speakers should be around 250W and driven 100W max.

Be careful of how you wire them! If you connect 3 speakers of 4 ohm in parallel you will get much more power out of them but you will fry your amp over time!

I would use biamping if possible instead of a crossover. Get 2 stereo amps of around double the amount of watts of the speakers for the best biamp result, and just don't turn them up completely.

When you build speakers, try to stay as close to the specs as possible, especially concerning the cabinet. Use the exact measures and heaviness of the wood or they will sound bad.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
12-04-2005 13:53 Homepage of thechronic
spudleyq spudleyq is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1932.jpg

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

quote:
Originally posted by KoekePan
yeah fine , but i would like to know more about crossovers, how does that work and how do you know which one you need to buy?

A crossover does exactly what it says it does....it crosses over the sounds. Let's say you have a speaker cabinet with an 18" woofer, and a nice big ol' horny tweetster. Now, coming out of your amplifier, you have the entire audible frequency spectrum blasting through at 1000W, all the way from 20Hz, up to about 20-22Khz. You obviously don't want the extremely low frequencies, 20Hz-500Hz (approx), going through your horn tweeter, that's just silly. Same applies to your subwoofer, you don't want the really high frequencies to be pounding through your subwoofer (even though most subwoofers can handle these frequencies...they don't sound good.) So, this is where the crossover comes into play. It takes the entire frequency spectrum, and splits it. It crosses the frequencies, and sends the high frequencies to the tweeter, and the low frequencies to the subwoofer.

Essentially, it's just a low pass filter being sent to the woofer, and a high pass filter being sent to the tweeters.

I don't know how much you know about low pass filters, high pass filters, band pass filters, and notch filters, or how much you know about basic electronics, but they're all very very very basic analog circuits and are extremely easy to make. A low pass and high pass filter are actually just a resistor and a capacitor, low pass having the resistor come first, and a high pass having the capacitor come first. This is very basic, and will only get you a static filter, id est....non-tunable. The tuning is done with the resistance of the resistor. All you need to do is make the resistor a potentiometer (adjustable resistor), and voila.....a dynamic filter!! But then you get into real filters, ideal filters, first order, second order, digital, analog, 12 dB, 24 dB (the gradient of the stop band curve), and it all gets so confusing!!! Tongue

So yeah.....that's what a crossover is.....and then some.

__

Click on the pic above to visit my music profile on Myspace.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by spudleyq: 12-04-2005 16:05.

12-04-2005 15:58 Homepage of spudleyq
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

There's some usefull information!!! Bigup
try to post a shedule of how to do that?

__

12-04-2005 17:09 Homepage of Friscko
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Yup, basicly a 2-way crossover is just a combination of a high pass and low pass filter. A 3-way crossover consists of a lowpass, bandpass, and highpass filter. There is indeed nothing dificult about making a filter. It is very simple math. If you use a resistor and capacitor to make a filter the time constant (tau)=R*C, so the cutoff frequency will be 1/(R*C) So now you got yourself a first order filter with a 3dB attenuation @ cutoff frequency and a slope of 6db/octave.

Now if things were that simple I would be a brain surgent. There are a few other things to keep in mind.
1) Most filters have what is called a "group delay time" (groepslooptijd, dunno the exact english term). This means that at the output of the filter signals with different frequencys will have a slightly different timing then when entering the filter.
2) The input and output impedance of a regular filter are not equal. So in order to get optimum power transition from your amplifier to the speakers, you need to make input and output impedance equal.
3) You want to build a powerfull speaker system, so you need crossovers that can handle some power. It is advicable to use coils instead of resistors.
4) You want to use as much of your amps power as possible. Another reason to use coils instead of resistors, They give much less resistance, so more power ends up in the actual speakers, less heat problems etc.

Is it still possible to build a good crossover yourself? Sure! They are still quite simple after all...

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
12-04-2005 19:05 Homepage of djfreemc
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

http://www.beglec.com/
go to 'specialities"
lotsa crossovers at 100 ¤ each
I was thinkin' about getting one of those XO 210..
really high quality for a low price

__

12-04-2005 20:29 Homepage of Rude
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Rude
http://www.beglec.com/
go to 'specialities"
lotsa crossovers at 100 ¤ each
I was thinkin' about getting one of those XO 210..
really high quality for a low price

Those are external crossovers, those are expensive indeed & meant for if you would use a separate amp for your woofers and for high tones. These are nothing like what you would find inside a speaker. JB systems/beglec used to have those ready-to-use too but can't find them on the site right now.

__
12-04-2005 20:39 Homepage of djfreemc
Rude Rude is a male
I'm gonna get you

images/avatars/avatar-2314.jpg

Registration Date: 06-01-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
25 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

yea I got these catalogs of JB-systems
at the crossover-section there are some simple crossovers, but I suggest you'd buy pre-made speakers, if you start making you first cabinet you'll notice that it will fall apart if you turn it on..

__

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Rude: 12-04-2005 20:51.

12-04-2005 20:51 Homepage of Rude
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

You learn by falling and getting back up...

__

12-04-2005 21:47 Homepage of Friscko
-KP-
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by spudleyq
quote:

..., but they're all very very very basic analog circuits and are extremely easy to make.

Are you saying I should build a crossover insted of buying one?

__
13-04-2005 12:47
-KP-
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

I think I'm getting this, but just one more example, please. Let's say I would build one G-Sub (1.2kW) from SpeakerPlans.com and I use a low-pass filter. How much Watt should my filter be?

__
13-04-2005 12:57
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Are you saying I should build a crossover insted of buying one?

Not you should, but you could! choice is up to you, but it shouldn't be that hard, certainly not if you would find a design that requieres only little adjustment to fit your system.

edit: this site seems to have some nice explanations on crossovers: http://www.trueaudio.com/st_xov_1.htm

edit number two: to make it really easy for you I have found this: http://www.mhsoft.nl/spk_calc.asp#crossover. The calculations are theoretically, so you will need to round to the nearest capacitor value. You could try winding the coil yourself. For speakers the linkwitz-riley filter curve is advised because the total output won't have a dip or boost at the cutoff frequency.

__

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 13-04-2005 19:24.

13-04-2005 18:28 Homepage of djfreemc
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

Back to the speakers themselves:
How to make sure it's the place trembelin and not the speaker..

__

13-04-2005 20:16 Homepage of Friscko
Pages (4): « previous 1 [2] 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Building your own speakers