drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » active or passive loudspeaker
Go to the bottom of this page active or passive loudspeaker 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by worm
quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Genelec is not very much suited for dance music

thechronic, with all due respect (cause i love the site and your expertise) but where did you hear this from? music is music man. i have had my 1030's for almost 2 years now and they have made ALL my mixes/mix-downs very pleasurable.

Hehe yeah maybe that's a little harsh on my part Big Grin
I meant that IMO Genelecs sound too smooth for electronic music, the mixes made on Genelecs tend to sound more aggressive when played on other speakers. I have tried mixing dance music on Genelecs but the mixes sounded way too aggressive when played back on the reference JBL's (which were to be honest the complete opposite of smooth sounding). When I mixed on the JBL's they sounded excellent on the Genelecs though.

Genelecs make very very good speakers and are definitely one of the top brands. If you know your speakers well you can definitely make superb mixes on them!!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
13-07-2003 01:52 Homepage of thechronic
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Well, actives have their advantages: take less space (amp = built-in), are easier 2 set up since U don't need 2 connect the amp, ....
Almost all rental companies use actives nowadays. The only disadvantage I can find, is when U overheat the amps, U could also damage ur speakers, puts up the repair costs, if they can still be repaired... Guess its just a matter of knowing ur limits & ur soundsystem's limits

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
01-08-2003 19:47 Homepage of djfreemc
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
Well, actives have their advantages: take less space (amp = built-in), are easier 2 set up since U don't need 2 connect the amp, ....
Almost all rental companies use actives nowadays. The only disadvantage I can find, is when U overheat the amps, U could also damage ur speakers, puts up the repair costs, if they can still be repaired... Guess its just a matter of knowing ur limits & ur soundsystem's limits

I hope you're not talking about studio speakers here Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
15-10-2003 04:30 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

My cousin bought the Celestion KR 8 (http://professional.celestion.com/sr/kr_...asp?product=KR4) for making his music, but I don't think they are intended as monitors. The "Ideally suited for pre-recorded background music" makes me frown. You think they're any good for monitoring?
Btw, he bought them for about ¤350 instead of about ¤500 Big Grin

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

12-11-2003 21:55 Homepage of Surya
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

What I know is that Celestion make really good speaker components. A couple of months ago I went to their company in Ipswich to pick up a palette full of speakers for Marshall guitar cabinets. It was amazing to see their stock, they had tens of thousands of speakers in there Shocked

You can find Celestion components in some of the best brands, and I heard some people that I trust say that their hifi range is really good sounding but very expensive. They don't make pro studio speakers though, but they have a range of good PA speakers.

__
12-11-2003 22:55 Homepage of thechronic
LoRd LoRd is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-25.gif

Registration Date: 02-11-2002

so basicly active speakers got internal amps , but how do you connect 8 active speakers to one mixer? Or do you need an external amp?

__

14-11-2003 11:59 Homepage of LoRd
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by LoRd
so basicly active speakers got internal amps , but how do you connect 8 active speakers to one mixer? Or do you need an external amp?

That's very easy, just connect them all together. Every pro speaker has inputs as well as 'link' outputs to connect multiple speakers together.

Connecting an amp to an active speaker will blow it to pieces.

__
15-11-2003 11:01 Homepage of thechronic
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-11.jpg

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LoRd

That's very easy, just connect them all together. Every pro speaker has inputs as well as 'link' outputs to connect multiple speakers together.

Connecting an amp to an active speaker will blow it to pieces.

BOEMDeath Big Grin

__
Sun
15-11-2003 13:18
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc

I hope you're not talking about studio speakers here Big Grin

talkin speakers in general actually, but since I have most experience with using speakers @ parties, I suppose this would be less relevant for studio speakers

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
07-12-2003 14:50 Homepage of djfreemc
Pages (3): « previous 1 2 [3]
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » active or passive loudspeaker