drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » active or passive loudspeaker
Go to the bottom of this page active or passive loudspeaker 3 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.003 Votes - Average Rating: 10.00
Author
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-11.jpg

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

what kinda should i take Confused
what's the differance between them??

thinking of taking Genelec, KRK, Dynaudio Acoustics or Mackie.

can't chooseFrown any opinions??

__
Sun
29-04-2003 15:33
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Dunno, I'm still saving for the B&W 604S3

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

29-04-2003 15:57 Homepage of Surya
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
Dunno, I'm still saving for the B&W 604S3

keep on savingWink they are to expensive for an amature like me Tongue

__
Sun
02-05-2003 16:24
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

I'd go for Dynaudio or JBL, those are best for dance music. Genelec is not very much suited for dance music, and don't like KRK too much. Haven't heard the Mackies yet

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
02-05-2003 17:03 Homepage of thechronic
Scion Scion is a male
The Noize Squad

images/avatars/avatar-139.gif

Registration Date: 03-03-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

When we have our [WiCkEd] parties, we always rent Mackies and their sound is just amazing. Also like the JBLs, but if I had to choose, I'd go for Mackie. I have to tell you that those are the only brands where I've got experience with, so maybe I'm not that good of a help...

__
Power to the peaceful
02-05-2003 18:02
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Scion
When we have our [WiCkEd] parties, we always rent Mackies and their sound is just amazing. Also like the JBLs, but if I had to choose, I'd go for Mackie. I have to tell you that those are the only brands where I've got experience with, so maybe I'm not that good of a help...

yeah, like the sound of those mackies also Pleased , but what's the differance between an active or a passive?? Confused

__
Sun
05-05-2003 12:34
Scion Scion is a male
The Noize Squad

images/avatars/avatar-139.gif

Registration Date: 03-03-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Biggest difference: An active speaker has got a build-in amplifier, while passive speakers need an external amplifier.

__
Power to the peaceful
05-05-2003 13:01
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Biggest difference: An active speaker has got a build-in amplifier, while passive speakers need an external amplifier.

active it is than Big Grin

__
Sun
05-05-2003 13:18
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I don't think active is always the best. B&W had an active version of their 604S2, the 605S2, which had active subwoofers... it wasn't as good as the 604S2... but I'm no expert on this kind of matter...

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

05-05-2003 13:46 Homepage of Surya
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

That are the Mackie SRM450 monitors and SBS1500 subwoofers. Very handy and good sounding things (I use them all the time on gigs Big Grin ) but not suited for studio use.

Mackie has made nearfields for in the studio which have a reputation to be very good too, but haven't heard them yet...

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
05-05-2003 14:27 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Surya
I don't think active is always the best. B&W had an active version of their 604S2, the 605S2, which had active subwoofers... it wasn't as good as the 604S2... but I'm no expert on this kind of matter...

Normally active versions of a speaker sound better than passive ones cause the internal amps have been tailored to the speaker.

Might be different with those B&W's though, but that are Hifi speakers anyway, who cares about that? Big Grin Tongue

__
05-05-2003 14:28 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I did some research on active professional monitors for you. As you will see active monitors in general have quite a high price tag compared to passive speakers, but they have one or two amplifiers built into each speaker which justifies the price. The cheapest ones are below 600 euro a pair and the most expensive ones 40000 or more Shocked

*** text cut out ***

This text was getting too long, I've copied it in a new thread >>> right here

__
06-05-2003 10:08 Homepage of thechronic
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

now that's what i call info Bigup

those M&K's realy look nice Shocked
Nice design of the ellipse Huh it realy looks like they come from a sf movie Cool

pretty expensive tho Frown i'm not a milionair u know Wink

__
Sun

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Azer: 06-05-2003 11:05.

06-05-2003 10:43
machakil machakil is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-332.gif

Registration Date: 06-04-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.25

until now I thought the shitloads of stars under your nick were just fo' show, being the administrator Tongue ... now you've earned them fo' sho'!!!!!!! Bigup

__

09-05-2003 13:50
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

Shocked it's even in alphabetical order Shocked

__
Sun
09-05-2003 14:20
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Still working on it as you can see Big Grin

__
09-05-2003 15:37 Homepage of thechronic
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Still working on it as you can see Big Grin

__
Sun

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Azer: 12-05-2003 09:52.

09-05-2003 16:55
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

Blue sky: I would very much like to live at the skywalker ranch

Dynaudio Acoustics: M2 look phat mmh nice specs

Genelec: will have to pay a visit at the Galaxy Wink

JBL: already had some bad experiences with jbl so won?t buy anything from it ever again

K&H: don?t like the sound of the speakers they?ve got, there was to much echo on it. Could be that it was because the guy of the pa set them wrong and/or it was outdoors and/or it was an acoustic guitar set

Mackie: like the HR824 alot, but first gonna check the rest out

PSI: with 28 years of experiance, you gotta be very good otherwise your in the wrong business Big Grin

Tannoy: actualy i?ve been in köln last month and i?ve been in that store. But since i was just looking around and not realy in search of some monitors, I didn?t saw them Frown
But hey, now i know where to find them Smile and it's only a 2 h drive and passing holland on the way back Spliff

__
Sun
12-05-2003 09:51
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

found some extra info 'bout monitoring:

ps if its too long,delete thisone it's just a little info:

Monitoring

Sit down in your regular mixing spot. Ideally, the imaginary point directly between each speaker's tweeter and woofer should be level with your eyes, or more importantly, your ears. The table used for your mixing desk and/or PC might appear the most logical and convenient placement, but sonically speaking, it's less than ideal. The graphs you often see boasting a speaker's ultra flat frequency response are measured from a point that's directly in front of the speaker, known as on-axis.

As one leans to either side, or up and down, in other words off-axis from the monitor's face, the frequency response will change with a notable drop in the treble due to the highly directional nature of the tweeter. To remain on-axis, special speaker stands may be needed.

You can make your own, DIY-style, using sheets of dense MDF (medium density fibreboard), cut into lengths that, once mounted around a square base and top plate, form a tall, four-sided column. For stability, throw several sandbags down the central hollow. This will also help reduce speaker vibrations from travelling down the columns and being lost in the floor. You may be familiar with wall-mounted brackets that can be used to elevate rear speakers (as part of a multi-channel home theatre system), but in context of accurate studio monitoring, the close speaker proximity to the wall behind them can lead to an over emphasis of bass output. More on that later.

The distance the two speakers are spaced apart is important too. Too close together and each sound's precise placement within the stereo field will be hard to define. Too far apart and you'll experience a strong sense of emptiness from the centre, and extremely exaggerated stereo panning. Decide on a happy medium by placing each speaker into the two corners of an imaginary equilateral triangle while your head makes up the third point.

Lastly, turn the toes of each monitor inwards so the front panel is once again on-axis with your ears. High mounted speakers should be angled downwards. Tip: If you can't see the sides, top, or bottom panels of each monitor cabinet, you'll know they're in the correct position.

On a final positioning note, be wary of using non-magnetically shielded speakers near CRT (cathode ray tube) computer monitors or you might severely distort the colours. The solution is to use

magnetically shielded speakers. These feature drivers with an additional magnet piggybacked on to the back of the regular magnet in the speaker to help cancel out stray magnetic fields from around the enclosure and with negligible impact on the speaker's performance.

__
Sun
12-05-2003 09:56
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

Helpfulness rating: 

To sub or not to sub?

Fully-fledged studios use large and frightfully expensive full-range monitors in conjunction with their nearfield monitors for making A/B comparisons before finalising a mix. The massive cabinet dimensions and large drivers contained in these full-range speakers provide a bass response that can't be matched by the small nearfield monitors we often find ourselves limited to using.

With the dawn of home theatre sweeping the average consumer into a sound technology buying frenzy, more and more people are experiencing music enhanced with subwoofers. This places a greater importance on proper bass management in your mixes.

One of the most common nearfields in use today is the now discontinued Yamaha NS10M. Typical of its size, the NS10M features a frequency response extending down to around 60Hz. Note a competent subwoofer system might bottom out at around 15Hz. This difference of 45Hz may not appear much, and that's true when referring to the upper end of the frequency spectrum, but bear in mind, the frequency value doubles each time one moves an octave along the keyboard.

Therefore, the difference between 15Hz and 60Hz actually equates to two whole octaves of bass notes that can't be heard from the NS10Ms! That being the case, although not crucial, if you're mixing modern music focused around heavy bass, you might choose to consider supplementing your nearfields with a quality subwoofer to help hear precisely what's going on 'down there'.
Be very wary of the cheap subwoofers thrown in with low-end home theatre and PC multimedia applications. While they might sound great shaking the floor and rattling the windows during cheesy Hollywood action flicks, their musicality is generally poor, and they tend to boom and drone in a monotone manner from their poorly tuned cabinets. Plus their weak amplifier and drivers fail to deliver any definition or detail. For studio-quality subs, look towards the manufacturer of the monitors you currently use. You'll find sub offerings by Genelec, KRK, Dynaudio Acoustics and, more recently, Mackie.

If you do go the sub route (and by no means are they necessary for quality mixing) always be wary of how your mixes might translate back to a regular, small hi-fi system. Too much sub bass and not enough mid-bass presence in the studio may result in mixes that sound as if they're lacking in bass on the average boombox, and totally overwhelm a thumping club system. This is where your regular nearfields switched to full range mode will come in handy to provide that smaller perspective.

__
Sun
12-05-2003 09:56
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » active or passive loudspeaker