drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Tunes » Drum 'n trance
Go to the bottom of this page Drum 'n trance 2 Votes - Average Rating: 8.002 Votes - Average Rating: 8.002 Votes - Average Rating: 8.00
Author
Cool Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-33.jpg

Registration Date: 20-04-2003

Hi all,

(first post here ever...wish me well Big Grin )

I've just finished my latest track, and would be most pleased to hear your comments on it. My goal was to permutate different styles into one song, and ended up with drum 'n bass, breakbeat and trance. The song can be found here

Thanks in advance for the feedback & kind regards,
Inge / Quinone
20-04-2003 15:48
Pablex Pablex is a male
Massive Junglism

images/avatars/avatar-239.jpg

Registration Date: 20-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

gonna listen to it later,anyway welcome on board

__

20-04-2003 15:50
Whizz
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 07-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

sorry, I really hate this sort of dnb

__

20-04-2003 20:27 Homepage of Whizz
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Good bassline, but the lead is just... I don't mind trance influences in DnB tracks (especially strings I like a lot) but this is too commercial (soundwise).
Productionwise: Kick gets lost in the bassline a bit, make the thumb a bit harder. Snare and stuff are good.
So quite good technically, but don't like it coz of personal taste.

PS: did something like this too bout a year ago Big Grin
Find it here

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

20-04-2003 21:16 Homepage of Surya
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

mmmmm i love it

really

the synth is really ok, trance all the way but i really really don't mind, on the contrary. but the beats are very weak imo ... could use way better work
the piano sounds very cheap, it's well placed but i find the sound of it very cheapish, try to find a good sound for it (a classic full wing, or a St Concert ...)

and get more dynamic in it ... cause after two minutes or even less it could cuse way more flow in the melody ...

work this out ! that's an order Big Grin

__
It's a spiritual thing !

20-04-2003 22:00
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Huh when I try to download this I get a 3-second voice sample 'tonight we're gonna launch a new revolution' and then it stops... Confused

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
21-04-2003 08:11 Homepage of thechronic
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Huh when I try to download this I get a 3-second voice sample 'tonight we're gonna launch a new revolution' and then it stops... Confused

damn, i wish i had that sample Big Grin

__
It's a spiritual thing !

21-04-2003 09:23
Quinone Quinone is a male
Cool Tourist

Sorry, there was a temporal problem with the mp3, which is fixed now. Thanks so far for the feedback...it corresponds with the things I heard from other people. Time to use all feedback for my next project Big Grin

Inge
24-04-2003 19:25
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

It's working now... it appears the sample was the intro of the song Big Grin

This has really old school 1994 trance influences, which was great in the day (oh memories Pleased ) but sounds very commercial now Frown
Many narrow minded people will probably dislike it because of that, but others will love it Big Grin

I like it a lot, it's a very good track IMO that could've rocked the radio stations a couple of years ago. Your sounds are really phat (that low saw sound in the beginning is gorgeous) and the track is very well laid out, the changes happen very fluently and you've paid a lot of attention to detail such as airy sound effects and working out the breakbeats.

Especially the flow of the song is incredible, it's really uplifting and the way every part smoothly goes over to the next one like it's always meant to be that way - feels like you've worked together with a seasoned dance producer Bigup

I disagree with J on the piano - it's a typical trance piano and fits in perfectly, I can't imagine a bloody steinway wing sound in this track Tongue
Also the kick sounds good here... have you maybe changed it since Surya's remark? It's not overly loud but it cuts through thanks to the compression, can hear every kick clearly...

IMO the production is very good, sounds like mixing desks, effects, synths and samplers to me, not just software (but so do Surya's tracks and he's doing all in freeware software Big Grin Guess I'm not a good judge at such things Roll Eyes )

Now blasting at full volume... Dance
If I would hear this at a party I'd dance my legs off!!!

I'm looking forward a lot to your next track, seems like we got a great new talent on the board!! Bigup

EDIT: you're using madtracker??? Shocked

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
24-04-2003 21:59 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Now that I relisten, is that vocalsample from the movie Formule 51? Sam Jackson's speach in the club?

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

24-04-2003 22:14 Homepage of Surya
Cool Tourist

Surya: yes, the first sample was taken from 51st state, at the point where Samuel L Jackson speaks to the masses with his blue Pos51 pills. The second sample was taken from a fragment before that, where Jackson relates philosophy with hardcore drugs usage Wink It took me a bloody age to filter all background music away btw.

Thechronic: if you only had the slightest idea of how happy your post made me...*every* word you wrote corresponds with my vision on the song during producing. This, and I mean that, is the best thing that I've *ever* heard about a song of mine. I just read 'Hallucinating Foucault' by Patricia Dunker, and this book tells about a writer who is in search for his 'reader'. This 'reader' would be the only one that could completely understand the writer, and would be the only one that could perceive the intention of his books. I think I just found my reader Big Grin No, seriously, your the first one that actually mentions the things that were in my head while producing this tune.

About the production itself: yes, this song (as all my songs) was made in Madtracker. Samples were mainly made with Pro53, FM7 and Absynth, fx with Simsynth, subharmonics with Subbastard and beats with a classic drumloop which went through Recycle, and maybe even some samples from this site. AFterall, I found this site while searching for samples, and found some brilliant drum-samples round here. So for anyone who enjoyed this track: it's my reward for the samples that this site hosts Wink Final tune was mastered in Wavelab (especially with usage of BBE sonic maximiser, dynasone, wavehammer, TC native reverb and Waves ultramaximiser) and Acid for sequencing.

*all happy again* Big Grin

Inge
27-04-2003 16:39
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

Eh *blush* wow ehrm

I guess we're some kind of soulmates now? Big Grin

__
27-04-2003 18:39 Homepage of thechronic
Cool Tourist

Guess I would focus on you if I ever start writing a book about a similar subject, yes...

"Quinone and his conquest for the furious rollin' beats paradise; a basic introduction into the art of using trackers to generate wicked drum 'n bass"

Big Grin

That'll do the trick, I guess Smile
28-04-2003 00:48
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Quinone
"Quinone and his conquest for the furious rollin' beats paradise; a basic introduction into the art of using trackers to generate wicked drum 'n bass"

Sounds good Big Grin

I used FastTracker II until 1.5 years ago. Now I use Buzz, which has some aspects of a tracker too...

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

28-04-2003 00:50 Homepage of Surya
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I've used the original trackers on the C64 Big Grin

And a couple on Amiga too...

then I discovered Cubase Roll Eyes

__
28-04-2003 00:56 Homepage of thechronic
Pablex Pablex is a male
Massive Junglism

images/avatars/avatar-239.jpg

Registration Date: 20-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

i like it
happy hardcore style Big Grin

__

28-04-2003 12:26
Azer Azer is a male
Easy Player

images/avatars/avatar-11.jpg

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

way too trancie for me

__
Sun

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Azer: 28-04-2003 13:11.

28-04-2003 13:11
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Tunes » Drum 'n trance