drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » headphones(for producin')
Go to the bottom of this page headphones(for producin')
Author
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

It's totally ruined now, I dont get anymore sound trough my hd500's, the cable is totally broken inside
Should I buy me a new pair of hd200/210's (=55€ for closed hp's) or pay 30€ for a new cable for my open hd500's?

hd200 (210 is the same but black)

hd 500 (what i have now, it's bigger, but it's got the same shape as the hd200)

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Friscko: 04-01-2006 21:46.

04-01-2006 21:36 Homepage of Friscko
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

or you could just replace/fix the cable...

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
05-01-2006 18:12 Homepage of djfreemc
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
or you could just replace/fix the cable...

But if the cost of the cable is alsmost the same as buying a new, closed hp..
Anyhow bought me hd205's for 45€ today

__

05-01-2006 18:23 Homepage of Friscko
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

quote:
Originally posted by Friscko

well if its just the cable a bit of soldering could probably do magic...

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
05-01-2006 18:29 Homepage of djfreemc
Glim Glim is a male
Stuck In The Late Nineties

Registration Date: 16-10-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
12 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.17

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
quote:
Originally posted by Friscko

well if its just the cable a bit of soldering could probably do magic...

true..

__
My Sounds
06-01-2006 05:58
Peel Peel is a male
Player

images/avatars/avatar-1344.jpg

Registration Date: 20-07-2005

I just love my HD200

bought it 5 years ago, and still in mint condition

they're so comfy you don't feel them even after a few hours

they're pretty cheap too compared to the sonys which are clearly the best

but as thechronic mentioned the only thing you have to keep in mind is the over amplification of heavy bass frequencies, which is a problem for production

__

Peeled November 2006 Mix
06-01-2006 16:17 Homepage of Peel
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Peel
but as thechronic mentioned the only thing you have to keep in mind is the over amplification of heavy bass frequencies, which is a problem for production

the hd205's i bought sound quite flat, it doest give much bass.
But now i noticed the hp-in from my pc is broken Roll Eyes

__

06-01-2006 17:04 Homepage of Friscko
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

Ive been using a pair of AKG's for a while now. Theyre not bad, not great either, but I only really use them when its to late to get away with any volume. Theyre pretty knackered now though. Ive been thinking of getting a new pair. Been looking at the Beyer Dt770's.

Has anybody here used them? Can anyone recomend anything else. Something around £80.
11-01-2006 17:55
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

wooohooo i was gonna get myself a new one but now my dad acctually bought himself one (dunno wich one )
but they're closed headphones (senheiser)
an they cost like waaaaaay to much (bout 280 ,normally if i remember correctly but he's only payed like 200 long live
discount prices Big Grin )

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
16-01-2006 16:46 Homepage of baz
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

quote:
Originally posted by greyone
whooooooooo hooooooooooow !!!! Big Grin

I've got my Senheiser HD 202

now i can finally produce properly Tongue

dude, it's sennheiser, and thoes are for artist to monitor in. there not ment to be like mix headphones. to be honest, most studios have speakers. there hi-fi dynamic head phones. there just as good as anything off the shelf for say 30 bucks. they don't have a good flat response for mixing. they wil porbably sound very warm and nice. but than you mix will come out WITHOUT that warmth.

quote:
Closed, dynamic hi-fi stereo headphones. Their good insulation against ambient noise and a deep bass response make them the ideal companion for DJs – or anyone who likes to listen to modern, powerful music without disturbing others. High efficiency drivers for maximum performance

it's goot boosted bass, and good isolation from outside sound noise. IE drums or guitars in the room. deep bass because most drummers and fellow badn memebers usually rely on bass for rhythem in songs.

i bet they'd be bad ass for djs, because they also preformve infront of high levels of noise. doesn't mean it's a good response to MIX, actually PRODUCE with. just so ya know.

don't get me wrong, there damn good speakers probably, amazing for use with ipods or other walky talky gear, you wouldn't need to use an amp with them, they have more effecienty on there energy consumption. that's really good. most high end sound systems will use less amp and drive more sound, because of buy just better speakers.

Bust still, for quality and cost, i suggest a low price of MDR-V300 or V150. the higher priced dj ones are good too for mixing, it's what thee made for mixing. there targeted for dj's that like to remix if you will. but the basic models are still are AMAZING compard to any other headphones. none CLAIM to be for mixing. even the ones that ARE FOR MIXING don't say it!

but if you're hard of hearing in the high end from too many club nights with booze until 6 int he morning... yea, maybe get headphones that have a goood boost in the high end, evne though it's too much, it'll make your mixes compensate and sound normal. not just cracks of insane amounts of high end. Smile

anyways, there is a decent bass and the highs are not to bright. overall it's all very balanced, doesn't give you too much of anything and i think there about the best. find reviews for them. it'll say the same from anyone who mixes. most 'normal audiophiles' who want good sounding music from the ipods, might say it's not the best bass or high end, but they'll say it's not too little. they want a headphone that's like a good EQ.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 17-01-2006 05:25.

17-01-2006 05:19 Homepage of Halph-Price
Nosrac Nosrac is a male
Bag of Hammers

images/avatars/avatar-837.jpg

Registration Date: 15-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
17 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.76

I use the Sony Studio Monitor Headphones that Chronic and Surora suggested - great bass response but never mix with them - the bass and stereo image can be completely off with any headphone (no reflections or interference between the left and right signal - won't notice any phase problems and difficult to hear if frequencies are fighting for space.

__
Tunes pictures and info: Myspace Page
MP3's: Acid Planet Page
20-01-2006 04:15 Homepage of Nosrac
equipped equipped is a male
tired

images/avatars/avatar-2339.jpg

Registration Date: 20-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
22 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.23

my phones are thee-->ATH-M40fs(Audio Technica)what ever the fuck that mean's?,..anyway i stoll em years ago when i was a stupid shyte,..free phones though Drummer ,...dum move though Frown ,..weeee..

__
Space
20-01-2006 05:19
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Nosrac
I use the Sony Studio Monitor Headphones that Chronic and Surora suggested - great bass response but never mix with them - the bass and stereo image can be completely off with any headphone (no reflections or interference between the left and right signal - won't notice any phase problems and difficult to hear if frequencies are fighting for space.

it's not a problem of spacial mixing. headphones do it better locating specfics. but the problem with that is you're not seeing the forest for the trees. too close in.

you need to hear it once the sound is pushed out, because that's how most people hear it. not with the speakers against there ears. you don't notice the subtle details, it's a different way of listening to music than headphones, almost all together.

as a different way, one difference is the deep bass. this is the worest problem. i have heard from sound engineers that did live recordings and mixing for events that are international, like live7 here in canada, talk about headphone mixes that the hardest things is only the bass doesn't develop as a wave. since bass waves are so big by nature, and can extend many feet, the feel for them, as well as spaial locating. spacial locating doesn't affect it that much, but the devolped bass wave before it hits the ear does, and relates to that, as a part of hearing.

this makes it very hard to get a good repersentation of bass in most headphones. you're too close, again.

but, what room are you doing your mixes in? now the computer music magazines tell you, DON'T USE HEADPHONES< OOOOHHHH NOOOOY UO DID THAT. NO NO NO USE Acoustic Filter Room Teatment, from Byres Sound Insulation Compant.

Well, speakers are better to get a better sense of the sound on them. this doesn't mean there better for mixing entirly. i have had professional DJ's, recording producers for Sony and independent acts, independant engineers too, say that mixing on only headphones is bad, but mixing on headphones, and just playing the mix on normal speakers, or other speakers, is a good way to get a good mix.

you don't have an acoustcly treated room. you're using your bed room, yuor basment. with bare walls , and no bass traps, or even difuseres behind you.

This is why headphones mixes, even though not the industry standard, adn entirly fool proof. there better than nearfield monitors in eliminating the rooms natural acoustics ( WHICH SOUNDS LIKE SHIT!).

want a good test of them, than play a solid sine wave through speakers, and make the pitch rise from the deepest it can all the way up at an even volume.

all thoes freq that it sounds louder or quieter, just leave it at one of the REALLY loud ones, and move your head around.

you can even move the speakers around and you'll get weird little pockets there too

this is always good way of finding dips in acousticly treated rooms to find any weird "zones". you'll find that tone that sounded so loud in one spot, will sound quiter in other spots. move your head higher and lower fromt eh ground and you'll find them. play it really loud and you'll find them.

so.

your room for mixing sucks.

your speakers that came with your computer. you already knew thoes sucked.

the placement of them, suck.

thoes active monitor from Behringer suck.

thoes active monitors that are nearfields from Yamaha, that actually reduce room ambient by about 80% by directly blasting the noise at your head by being positioned closer, and getting reflected off of the mixing board, or desktop and have a latency getting to your ear still, better.

you don't have them. 350 dollers for a pair.

but why does that work, because it's closer toy uo.

what if we took theos speakres and put them against your ears.

too close for some listenrs. like clubs. they use loud speakers.

you'd probably wantt o test your music on thoes. high end will sound a lot more, because there not getting sucked down by the subs, because it's a different driver. it's coming fromt he tweeters. the horns.

there will be a much differnet reverb, that will be different for each club, but the gnereal idea would be there.

just don't mix headphones alone. it's all about refernece. and this tip is most strongly recomended by a fellow DnB DJ here, and the dudes been in the sence for toronto for a long while. he's recommendation isn't from Music Magazine but from professionals.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

20-01-2006 08:21 Homepage of Halph-Price
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
quote:
Originally posted by greyone
whooooooooo hooooooooooow !!!! Big Grin

I've got my Senheiser HD 202

now i can finally produce properly Tongue

dude, it's sennheiser, and thoes are for artist to monitor in. there not ment to be like mix headphones. to be honest, most studios have speakers. there hi-fi dynamic head phones. there just as good as anything off the shelf for say 30 bucks. they don't have a good flat response for mixing. they wil porbably sound very warm and nice. but than you mix will come out WITHOUT that warmth.

i wont say you're wrong , ofcoarse not but ... pff do i care i dont have some 300 headphones , im happy with my 30bucks sennheiser.
I aint an EQer , thats for others , i just listen to some music with it , and enjoy making bad tracks.
but you're right about them.
22-01-2006 21:56
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

in the end anythings works if you know it's strengths and weakness. but even that doesn't matter if you don't know how messed up your ears are.

foxy brown is deaf now. beware hearing loss. invest in hearing aids

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 06-02-2006 07:11.

06-02-2006 06:58 Homepage of Halph-Price
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
in the end anythings works if you know it's strengths and weakness. but even that doesn't matter if you don't know how messed up your ears are.

foxy brown is deaf now. beware hearing loss. invest in hearing aids

i have noticed a slightly eardamage due to constant producing without stops.

hopefully it's recovering by time , but i doubt that.

ps: my english got better by time Smile
07-02-2006 00:14
Hypoxic Hypoxic is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-1578.jpg

Registration Date: 10-01-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Check these out,

http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/rs1.htm

Supposed to be the best on the market, nothing compares.
If you got the dough, around $900us.

Look fucking sic too!

Edit: If anyone in the around sydney needs headphones repaired I can
repair them for you. PM me if you need some fixed.

__
There is no now like now!

www.myspace.com/hypoxicmusic

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Hypoxic: 16-02-2006 09:02.

15-02-2006 13:09 Homepage of Hypoxic
PEAHEAD
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1473.jpg

Registration Date: 27-07-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

what about these are these worth getting?

The HD 280 is a closed-back, circumaural headphone designed for professional monitoring applications. Although suitable for a very wide range of applications, the exceptional 32 dB attenuation of external noise makes the HD 280 particularly suitable for use in a high-noise environment.

General Data:

Connectivity: Cable
Usage: Professional
Compatibility: DJ, Professional Monitoring
Design: Over the Head
Sound Mode: Stereo
Max. Power Handling: 500 mW
Frequency Response: 8 - 25000 Hz
Impedance: 64 ohms
Plug Type: 3.5 mm, 6.35 mm
Cable Length: 9.84 ft.
Weight: 7.76 oz.
Full Manufacturers Warranty

im not lookin to spend to much jus yet i jus want some good for the money 1z it says on ebay u can buy them now for £69.

is that any good?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by PEAHEAD: 02-03-2006 10:12.

02-03-2006 10:10
TechDiff
Hetty Jakes Pretentious Cheese Wog

images/avatars/avatar-2012.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.69

quote:
Originally posted by Hypoxic
Check these out,

Look fucking sic too!

LOL... Handcrafted mahogany ear pieces. You know where your money is going there. They look sweet though. Check these out though. These are OFFICIALY the sickest headphones ever made. Apparently, when making them, senheiser discovered that no amp was doing them justice, hence the reason they come with a hand-built all valve headphone amp. The headphones themselves are also handbuilt and are absolutely amazing. There not the exactly affordable though, you aint gonna find them at your local hi-fi shop. The whole package retails for $11 900 US!!!!!!!

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2001/...image_014.shtml

Still, if I had the money, Id get me some.
02-03-2006 12:51
baz baz is a male

images/avatars/avatar-1379.jpg

Registration Date: 19-02-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
23 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.96

quote:
Originally posted by TechDiff
quote:
Originally posted by Hypoxic
Check these out,

Look fucking sic too!

LOL... Handcrafted mahogany ear pieces. You know where your money is going there. They look sweet though. Check these out though. These are OFFICIALY the sickest headphones ever made. Apparently, when making them, senheiser discovered that no amp was doing them justice, hence the reason they come with a hand-built all valve headphone amp. The headphones themselves are also handbuilt and are absolutely amazing. There not the exactly affordable though, you aint gonna find them at your local hi-fi shop. The whole package retails for $11 900 US!!!!!!!

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/ces2001/...image_014.shtml

Still, if I had the money, Id get me some.

real nice techdiff but i personally wouldn't dare to go out an spin some shit while wearing these suckers Big Grin

__
"shotgun ; slammin in yo chestpiece ; blaw"
03-03-2006 11:04 Homepage of baz
Pages (4): « previous 1 2 [3] 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » headphones(for producin')