drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Neurofunk Bassline Modulation?
Go to the bottom of this page Neurofunk Bassline Modulation?
Author
xSky

images/avatars/avatar-3448.gif

Registration Date: 15-06-2009

Hey peeps.

I can make some pretty sick sounds using 3x and a couple of FX, but I can't seem to find some good modulation rhythms, heck even the best sounding filter?

I uploaded 3 samples of my bass to my server. Download them here: http://jeffijoe.com/JeffBass.zip

My favorite is number 2, but I cant seem to find a good modulation sound.

Any tips?

Thanks.

__
--- My Soundcloud ---
Jeffijoe - Distance EP [CrossBase]

14-11-2010 20:30 Homepage of jeffijoe
Phalanx Phalanx is a male
Chronologic

images/avatars/avatar-2536.gif

Registration Date: 13-09-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Try using the Ohmicide plugin for distortion. I like to flip through the presets to find something that sounds good, then add another distortion unit to the third band in the plugin. Then I play with the frequency crossover and adjust the settings so the sound modulates as I sweep it. I'll create an automation clip for the crossover and set a pattern I like. Then I'll adjust all the other parameters, notice their effect on the overall sound and automate those. After I'm done with Ohmicide I'll add on a Camelphat plugin, automate the distortion parameters (Mech distortion adds weight to the bottom end, Xcita adds high frequencies) I'll use Camelphat to add a notch filter and automate the cutoff, res and envelope parameters. By the end of a bounce I'll have about 10 automations, so I find it easier to process one or two notes at a time. That will also give you more diverse sounds when you compile your whole bassline.

You can also split the bass into three bands- lows, mids and highs. The general rule is to compress the lows, add distortion/chorus/phasers to the mids and distort/reverb the highs. At this point you can use the bandpass filter in Camelphat to add some more movement within the layers.

__
http://soundcloud.com/chronologic
14-11-2010 21:13 Homepage of Phalanx
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Some good advice by Phalanx...
I always go for Camelphat and/or Tone2's Filterbank but I don't make the type of Neurofunk you are after I guess.

I think the best way to keep this kind of very complex bassline-shit under total control is to make a lot of bass samples and then give them some bad ass Distortion/filter/LFO/Cut Off/... treatment and make more samples from those sample/FX combinations. When you have enough samples you can stick them in a tune and avoid having like 20 or more automations running at the same time which would make the whole thing very chaotic and CPU consuming. Just my 2 cents.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
14-11-2010 23:53 Homepage of BattleDrone
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

Thanks for the advice!

I use both Ohmicide and Camelphat!

So it's the Notch filter.. Should I use the MMFilter in CamelPhat for that?

I guess this is the kind of sound I want to achieve: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M87dx8gW_u0

BattleDrone, when did Image-Line remove that SPOR knob from 3x, grr?! Shakeshark Tongue

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

15-11-2010 17:17 Homepage of jeffijoe
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by jeffijoe
BattleDrone, when did Image-Line remove that SPOR knob from 3x, grr?! Shakeshark Tongue

Probably in version 9 where they did a general fuckup of all other features.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
15-11-2010 18:35 Homepage of BattleDrone
jeffijoe jeffijoe is a male
xSky

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
quote:
Originally posted by jeffijoe

Probably in version 9 where they did a general fuckup of all other features.

I knew I shouldnt have upgraded from 8 to 9 then.

How to you know which, and how to automate the knobs for a badassline? Should I do like Inside Info told me, and "just fuck around with a synth untill you got something Big Grin "?

__
--- My Soundcloud ---

16-11-2010 14:22 Homepage of jeffijoe
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Neurofunk Bassline Modulation?