drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Rolly Polly Drums???
Go to the bottom of this page Rolly Polly Drums???
Author
Cool Tourist

images/avatars/avatar-1354.jpg

Registration Date: 02-07-2004

OK all you drum and bass headz. I know one of you can tell me how to program those rolly drumz....
none of my friends know.. they all use the mashy loops... but cant make them themselves. I would be more than appreciative of anyone telling me this little secret.??

Anyone?

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Prime_Fx: 02-07-2004 17:51.

02-07-2004 17:48 Homepage of Prime_Fx
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I guess what you're talking about is a breakbeat that has a nice flow?
This is achieved by adding so called "ghost" snares between the 2 main snare hits.
Mainly ghosts are less loud and shorter than snares, and might be EQed differently, of a whole different drumsound altogether. Experimenting on finding the right combinations is the key here.
So, where to place them?
A very common pattern is

KxxxSxGGGGKxSxxx
where K=Kick, S=Snare and G=Ghost

Again: experimenting is the key!

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

02-07-2004 23:21 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Maybe also check these threads:
How to make a perfect breakbeat
Break building tutorial by djbusby
How to fatten up the beat

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
03-07-2004 12:12 Homepage of thechronic
Prime_Fx Prime_Fx is a male
Cool Tourist

i tell you what man... you just made me a happy person. Really you dont realize how big of a mistery that has been to me and anyone else in my state. No kidding. Thanks-

and something weird we (US) call breaks or breakbeats broken beats around 130bpm and totally seperate them from DnB as another genre. But haveing talked to people everywhere (do to the miracle of the internet lol) ive figured out that we are the only people to do that... i know we are weird..but thats what we call it. hahha.

the described type of DnB beat is called mash up here or mashy (i not sying thats right.. its just differe nt)

If you can give me anymore tips on creating those beat structures (ghosting) please... please do. I again am very thankful.

04-07-2004 03:20 Homepage of Prime_Fx
Prime_Fx Prime_Fx is a male
Cool Tourist

i just had to say thanks again man your tha sh*t.
Thanks bro- Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Prime_Fx: 04-07-2004 03:24.

04-07-2004 03:23 Homepage of Prime_Fx
arqtic
Tourist

Registration Date: 20-02-2004

some other tech-tips
15-07-2004 12:06
tipseymonkey

Registration Date: 06-12-2006

thanx a lot Smile nother tips are welcome Smile

(also the boy that say me the correct spelling)
08-12-2006 18:59
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Prime_Fx
i tell you what man... you just made me a happy person. Really you dont realize how big of a mistery that has been to me and anyone else in my state. No kidding. Thanks-

and something weird we (US) call breaks or breakbeats broken beats around 130bpm and totally seperate them from DnB as another genre. But haveing talked to people everywhere (do to the miracle of the internet lol) ive figured out that we are the only people to do that... i know we are weird..but thats what we call it. hahha.

the described type of DnB beat is called mash up here or mashy (i not sying thats right.. its just differe nt)

If you can give me anymore tips on creating those beat structures (ghosting) please... please do. I again am very thankful.

wow...edit..

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

08-12-2006 20:32
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:

Could you elaborate on this? Because I thought that terms like "big beat" and "chemical beats"
were coined by the Brits. Early on, like in the 90s, the "breaks or breakbeat" style came from acid house artist when they started using breakbeat samples to create "hardcore breakbeat".
And before that, in the 70s, New york djs like Kool herc were "cutting breaks". But I never thought
that the seperation of Dnb and "breaks" (electro, big beat, chemical, etc..) was a U.S. only thing.
I mean, I thought, breaks are breaks, wether they're at 90,130 or 180 bpm, and bpm is was one of the major distinctions between styles like hip hop, breaks, and dnb wether you're in the US or
Brittain, or where ever. I could be wrong but I can't see me inviting a Brit over to my house to spin some dnb and I'm standing there with an evol intent 12" and he pulls out a huda hudia 12".

__
SAVE THE SL1200

This post has been edited 6 time(s), it was last edited by dmccabe: 08-12-2006 22:48.

08-12-2006 22:34
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

lol. you've been replying to a post almost 3 years old Tongue

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
08-12-2006 23:43 Homepage of cynik
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
lol. you've been replying to a post almost 3 years old Tongue

ahhh damn it! thats not funny. Tongue OK maybe a little. That'll learn me to go posting replies without
lookin' at orig. post date.

__
SAVE THE SL1200
08-12-2006 23:55
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Rolly Polly Drums???