drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » EQ... Waveform?
Go to the bottom of this page EQ... Waveform?
Author
another 15 year old...

Registration Date: 17-09-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.00

So when say I boost 200khz on my snare or subtract some other value for any other synth/sample, how does this change the shape of the waveform?

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

05-05-2010 23:38
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Decides which frequencies to attenuate and which not to (think of this last one as "to copy/let through").

Of course, no EQ is perfect, so it does this with approximations. For easier thinking about this, imagine strict-graphic EQ with 5 bands. Disregard the high-pass and low-pass bands, and focus on one of the band-pass ones. It utilizes both high and low cut attenuator, so it attenuates (lowers) all the frequencies that are not required. The Q (stands for "quality") describes how much should both filters (high and low cut) be eliminating the frequencies.

Another useful analogy for EQ bands would be this: imagine you see the Sun (that it contains all the colors in our watchable electromagnetic spectrum). Now, imagine you put a blue glass in front of your eyes. Now you'll only see blue light, as the glass eliminates all other frequencies (acts as a filter). If you have glasses in multiple colors, you have multiband EQ (that only cuts).

It is all filtering, but with complex formulae so you can move your bands and decide whether you want to cut, boost, and how much. Hope this helps.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
06-05-2010 02:53 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dibimagine you see the Sun (that it contains all the colors in our watchable electromagnetic spectrum). Now, imagine you put a blue glass in front of your eyes. Now you'll only see blue light, as the glass eliminates all other frequencies (acts as a filter). If you have glasses in multiple colors, you have multiband EQ (that only cuts).

Nice comparison!

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
06-05-2010 10:01 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

And as always:
Be careful when cutting or boosting with EQ. Extreme curves fuck up the sound.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
06-05-2010 10:46 Homepage of BattleDrone
SteakJohnson SteakJohnson is a male
another 15 year old...

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks guys I kinda knew that stuff though, I was meaning like If I boost the mid frequencies or something on a saw wave, how will it change the shape of the saw wave

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

07-05-2010 03:25
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Why don't you just go experiment with that stuff and see for yourself?

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
07-05-2010 16:45 Homepage of Puzzle
another 15 year old...

Helpfulness rating: 

good point. But I havent been able to make/experiment with music for awhile so I figure i'll post some curiousities on dnb.be.

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

08-05-2010 20:41
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

Alright, so, this is how it goes.

Multiple frequencies and their amplitudes are actually a multitude of pure sine-waves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillation). They have one carrier signal (the fundamental frequency, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_frequency) and -maybe- multiple harmonics (made by disruptions into the path of the sine wave, http://www.educate-yourself.org/be/upper...ed22may02.shtml). Now, multiple frequencies and their amplitudes are made into action by using interpolation (http://www.alpha-ii.com/Info/AudioInt.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpolation).

When you look at the sine wave (say pure sine sub bass), you can look its' fairly simple shape (SINE.jpg). The sine I posted on the pic is about 50-60Hz.

Now, let's say a kick comes in. The kick has fundamental frequencies around 90-100 Hz (or maybe even as low as 50Hz), but no kick is made only of its' fundamental - it's made of multiple frequencies that strike in. (KICK+SINE.jpg)

Now, you can see that the kick introduces a multitude of tiny oscillations that ADD UP to the main sine oscillation. This is mostly noticeable in the further part (marked with red) which clearly looks similarly like the first sine I've posted, but with some disturbances in the look of the wave line.

There are also some small bumps that are noticeable. These bumps are the higher frequency sounds.
How? If a tone = oscillations per second (Hertz), then, higher tones are more oscillations per second (more Hz). Time is counted from left to right, so, smaller bumps on there (by length from left to right) means more oscillations.

Now, of course you have your pure sine wave (the sub) along with the other higher frequency sounds, so you can't see them in the image as separate sine waves, but as combined. This combining is made with interpolation. You distort the pure sine wave by adding the higher frequency sounds mathematically so the wave graph carries the bass + the higher freq sounds (or fundamental + harmonics for example).

Now, when you boost or lower the certain frequency band, the bumps on this image will either be made bigger or smaller (in amplitude, up and down) thus making the speaker oscillate more or less on that specific frequency band.

For example, see how the kick changed the form of the bass. It introduced many more waveforms (sine waves) with higher Hz.

I selected a part and EQed it with adding amplitude/volume to the higher frequency parts of the selection, and you can see on the picture (EQ applied.jpg, and I applied the EQ settings shown in the EQ.jpg file) how that changed the waveform - it enhanced the bumps, made them bigger, while keeping the relative low-freq fundamental shape of the selection almost intact.

That's how EQ changes your wave shape. Pleased

Muad'Dib has attached these images (downsized versions):
SINE.jpg KICK+SINE.jpg EQ.jpg EQ applied.jpg

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
10-05-2010 17:28 Homepage of Muad'Dib
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

I wouldn't worry too much bout how it looks after eq. Should be more concerned with how it sounds IMO

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

10-05-2010 19:46 Homepage of D2o
another 15 year old...

Helpfulness rating: 

Woah damn thanks muad'dib, for both of those lengthy articles, and I agree ghost but I like to find out how it works and all that.

__
[SJ] Black Sun Rising:

10-05-2010 22:54
Age Break Age Break is a male
Filth is my second name

images/avatars/avatar-3039.gif

Registration Date: 30-11-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.33

nice replies maud!
never really thought of the shape when adding eq to a sine wave, quite interesting Shocked

__

The One - Age Break
10-05-2010 23:19
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

No sweat, folks, I love understanding things into the core, and also explaining that so that others may understand it. Pleased Thanks.

__

-Bene Gesserit
11-05-2010 11:14 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Basso Basso is a male
Basso

Registration Date: 15-05-2010

u could also boost, you just need a BIIIIG magnifying glass. hahaha just a thought

__
Drummer Check out more of my tunes at:

http://www.soundcloud.com/bassobeats/tracks
19-05-2010 00:59 Homepage of Basso
Ben Kama
Tourist

Registration Date: 24-05-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

In short:

Less high end, more bass = bigger movements in waveform

more high, less bass = more fuzzy waveform

Cool

__
benkama.com

24-05-2010 22:10 Homepage of Ben Kama
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kama
In short:

Less high end, more bass = bigger movements in waveform

more high, less bass = more fuzzy waveform

Cool

Not exactly, but usually it goes this way, yes. This applies to horizontal movement, but vertical (amplitude) movement is the same despite the frequency involved.

__

-Bene Gesserit
25-05-2010 01:11 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » EQ... Waveform?