drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » I wanted to do a Hardware Setup for playing "live" but can I do everything with soft and midi?
Go to the bottom of this page I wanted to do a Hardware Setup for playing "live" but can I do everything with soft and midi?
Author

Registration Date: 08-04-2010

I have enough money to work with. I am going to start playing "live", and at first I wanted to do it all with Hardware. IDK I just like the idea of hardware and not a computer. I had something in mind like this:
Grooves Boxes Samplers: MC 909 / Electribe ESX-1 / Roland SP-555 Sampler
Synths: Virus TI v2 / another synth maybe not as nice as the Virus

"House and DnB"
So basically I want to work with pre-layed drum loops and be able to punch them in and out with effects and crazy turnarounds. I also want to add in "realtime" and "sample" Guitar, Turntable, and vocoder vocals. I really like the idea of hardware but from reading a shit ton from this site, I see that it may be much easier to do with software. Now I know I would need a phat MAC, but which program/s do I need, I want to be able to hook up a shit ton of Midi controllers for hands on jam experience. Can this be done and what do I need. Again, I have the money to do it, so just let it out, I need atleast one perosn to really lay it out and explain! Thanks!
09-04-2010 00:00
ogenic ogenic is a male
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Have you actually used any of these products you are talking about?
"IDK I just like the idea of hardware and not a computer" Kind of implies you have no experience of either...
before asking for help I would suggest searching the net or talk to people in your local music store, to atleast come here with some sort of "plan" rather than ask someone to set you up.

__
OGENIC
Drummer
09-04-2010 18:17
bamboosamurai

Well thats exactly what I am doing right now...lol I am not about to go to music center and talk to a bunch of dudes who make their rent from commission. I haven't used any groove boxes but I do have a good idea of what they do. I have done much research and read lots of forums. I'm not about to spend thousands of dollars blindly. I'm just looking for detailed input from somebody/s experience with computer music and or with hardware. Keep my options open.

Again: I want to do house - DnB. I like the idea of hardware because everything is right there! Yeah complicated and not as versatile as a computer, but rather than press play and solo a synth on top of a completely laid out beat. I would like the difficult task of doing something that takes four hands with two. I guess I am just asking because I dont know anything/much about computer music. Yes... I have made computer music for years with FruityLoops and Reason ect... But I have no experience with doing anything "live". So any input would be very much appreciated and though through.
11-04-2010 01:29
bamboosamurai

Just to add... I do have a plan, and its pretty solid. I have a very good idea how each unit will work and correspond with each other and what I will be able to do with them as a unit. So I'm not just coming in here completely unknowledgeable of my interest in "live" electronica.

I had read a lot of forums from here, and it was very appearant that most people like Mac's/computers. So, This is a good place to ask. Wink
11-04-2010 01:44
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » I wanted to do a Hardware Setup for playing "live" but can I do everything with soft and midi?