drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Neurofunk twisty_woofer_ breaking_people_go_nuts_when_they_hear_i t bass and how can it be obtained?
Go to the bottom of this page Neurofunk twisty_woofer_ breaking_people_go_nuts_when_they_hear_i t bass and how can it be obtained?
Author
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

images/avatars/avatar-3030.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Ok this has been overly discussed on other forums i've visited but i couldn't find the right way that would lead me to that neuro bass so i was thinking maybe we could start to disect it here.
First thing i tried was the reese as many mentioned. 2 saw waves detuned, then distorted, filtered etc until i got to... a reese. So i guess a reese is not the starting point or i misunderstood the operation and ended up somewhere else.
I kept trying in reason 4 cause i am familiar with it and i know what is what and what is doing what but i am a lil unsatisfied about the scream 4 that gives a high buzz to the sound no matter how much i cut the high freqs or what type of distost i'm using. So as i was saying the reese didn't help a bit. I tried to build and tweak it into a combinator, then export and import it into a nn-xt then tweak it a lil more. I tried to export the raw saw waves and play with them in audition 3, cause the effects here give better stereo space than those in reason (esp. flange and unison). Nada.
I began to think i need a more agressive saw so i turned to massive as i heard many people use it (also albino and z3ta were mentioned but i don't have these) but this soft is complicated and i am not a vst lover.
Anw i know it can be done in R4. It must be.
Oh and i remember someone mentioned something about fm8 and ring modulation. What is FM8? Could someone explain?
Oh it would be so nice to get a solid straight to the point answer cause i spent so many hrs trying comb filters, ring distortion, flangers, that i almost went nuts. Knowing so many ways of doing it may eventualy turn me into a complete unproductive idiot.
cheers!
26-01-2010 11:31
TTT31
Producer

Registration Date: 24-08-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 1.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLqhyrELwGI

try this tut
26-01-2010 17:50
KILLER_FAN KILLER_FAN is a male
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

Helpfulness rating: 

I saw that tut 3 times, 4 now.
is there really no other starting point than the reese? i don't want to say i want to get the noisia/spor neuro bass but instead i want to know how can get that clean distortion other fellaz get, without that fuzziness. i tried lowering the saw wave way down so it would sound like a diesel motor think than when i will resample and play it at a higher pitch it would sound cleaner. all in vain. it doesn't. i'm starting to have doubts about everything, it's the saw or should i use samples, it's the distortion unit, it's the eq process i'm doing wrong, it's something else that i miss. what is that special ingredient that i don't have? i tend to have no more personal thoughts as i think all day about this and i dream myself at night trying and trying and failling big.
now i'm under the GPOSTT (Girlfriend Policy Of Spending Time Together).
26-01-2010 18:34
Ketz Ketz is a male
Thinking outside the box...

images/avatars/avatar-2874.png

Registration Date: 10-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.86

its easy to overdo things when using the scream distortion unit in Reason, the trick is to try apply several layers of subtle distortion to ur sound as opposed to whacking on a huge amount all in one go (that will lead to just a big fuzzy sound that is awful), cut down the damage control knob and adjust the p1 and p2 dials to shape ur sound further.

u don't necessarily need to start with 2 detuned saw waves, try mixing in a square here n there for a different texture, try using all the synths - Subtractor, Malstrom and Thor for different oscillator types to create different types of sounds (even a basic saw sounds different depending on which synth its generated in).

you can try resamping ur sounds (either a reece sample or a reece u made urself) further info here:

Yet another twisty bass 'tutorial'

unfortunately theres no easy answer, it takes a lot of work to acheive those Noisia / Spor / Teebee type basses you really need to get things as perfect as possible at each step of processing.

for me i normally start with a very basic sound i've made in the Malstrom (2 detuned saws) > export a 16 bar loop sustained on C3 > import into the NN19 sampler and build it up from there using scream, chorus, phase etc etc (and also splitting the bass into hi and low and processing each differently to cover the whole spectrum)

don't let it get ya down i know its really frustrating at times, but with some perseverance ul defo come up with some wicked sounds and learn a lot along the way Bigup

__

26-01-2010 19:51 Homepage of Ketz
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

As ketz says. Wink

I would like to add, in case you don't already do this, don't expect to use one combinator for the bass reece, you may need to add a sub to 'support' the sound. The sound can get incredibly messy by not seperating the frequecies and building the sound up in blocks. What I mean is, putting the whole sound through a distortion, will also distort the low end and make the sub sound really flappy.

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
26-01-2010 23:30
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

Helpfulness rating: 

Thanks a lot guys i feel like from now on i'm gonna make it. i feel empowered.
if only had the necessary time..... damn i miss my childhood.
27-01-2010 19:57
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

Helpfulness rating: 

Well i'm happy cause i managed to make some growly neuro bass out of reason. i took your advice and applied several scream 4 with little damage, reverbs,delays etc everythin from the effects section, and in the end turned out good. i started not from a reece, but from a single waveform (i used phase modulation i think.not sure though). found out that the reece has too many high that, when distorted even a little, they turn into noise. also i'm starting to conclude that the hardest part isn't the processing but writing the notes to fit the drums and automating parameters accordingly. it's still raw but with a lil bit of time it will get there.
31-01-2010 23:18
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by KILLER_FAN
damn i miss my childhood.

But you're only 20!

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
31-01-2010 23:24 Homepage of BattleDrone
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

Helpfulness rating: 

I managed to upload a sample of my bline. actually that is as far as i went. i would apreciate any opignions of any type. here is the link: http://sendspace.com/file/ha2ngg
01-02-2010 20:57
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Neurofunk twisty_woofer_ breaking_people_go_nuts_when_they_hear_i t bass and how can it be obtained?