drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » should i use these speakers?
Go to the bottom of this page should i use these speakers?
Author
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

images/avatars/avatar-3030.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Ok so I have some old speakers (20 years old or more) at home, 30w passive. I wanted to ask if i could use them for some monitoring. They have a freq response diagram on them and it shows they go from 50hz (below this they drop till it reachs 30hz but I tested them using a amped sine played in C1 and i could see the woofer moving very slow.. cool efect Big Grin ) to 22khz. I thought that I could listen to other artists' music and get some reference points: how loud the bass should sound, the highs etc. but I am uncertain if the freq response is the only thing counts.
So are they any good or I should be thinking on buying some good monitors?
Thanks in advance.
I also read all the topics about monitors but I couldn't find a straight answer.
(sorry if my english sounds bad, i don't use it day by day.)

Oh and one more thing. I use an amp (cause they're passive) that can boost the bass and the treble. If they are any good anw should i get an amp that doesn't modify the sound that exists my pc soundcard?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by KILLER_FAN: 23-01-2010 10:50.

23-01-2010 10:47
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Take them, take another pair of low quality ones, take one pair of high quality ones but for the general public, and buy semi-pro or pro monitors - and you won't have to buy anything else for monitoring. Different speakers ensure you achieve even sound for all types of systems.

Oh, and also, make a quick-switch - a mechanical-electrical switch with buttons that will enable you to quick-switch between the different pairs, so you can make quick comparisons.

You can start with these, yes, but make sure you listen many songs on them before you start using them as monitors, as you have to know how they interpret/change the sound. And don't move them around, make sure you position them in the best position before you start anything with them. For this, start reading some positioning rules for speakers.

P.S. this thread belongs to Hardware subforum. Moving there...

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
23-01-2010 14:52 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Vectrex Vectrex is a male
Benzin

images/avatars/avatar-2991.jpg

Registration Date: 05-02-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.75

Nothing else to say.. Just test your songs on different systems. The more neutral your speakers sound the better they sound on other systems after mixing.. Most likely it will be difficult mixing on those speakers you've got there. But you can surely test your mixes on them..

Greets,
Vectrex

__
Vectrex on Soundcloud
Vectrex on Facebook

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Vectrex: 23-01-2010 15:30.

23-01-2010 15:29 Homepage of Vectrex
KILLER_FAN KILLER_FAN is a male
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

Helpfulness rating: 

well the freq diagram shows a straight and linear response from 50 to 22 (if this is the thing you refer to when you say it will be hard for me mixing on them) so i think in the freq response chapter they sit good (not considering freq distorts the chamber gives. i will work on that too).As i am a total noob when it comes to audio hardware (esp. monitors) i might be wrong saying this.Please correct me if i do. i want to start understanding the basics of all that is involved in the music production stage, and i want to do that on a decent speaker system not on my headphones (senheiser hd 280, not bad as i heard but not nearly as good as it should).
this a temporary solution.i want to buy some hardware in the future, as my xp increses so do the needs (esp money related).
i wanted to know from the start if it's worth wasting 100 hrs listening to others' music to get a good reference point so i know what i'm looking for when tweaking, or not.
thanks.
23-01-2010 16:35
dmccabe dmccabe is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1048.jpg

Registration Date: 20-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I wouldn't say that it's a waste spending the time to reference other productions
as you learn your gears pros and cons, it's actually pretty vital. Even after you've developed your style, you'd probably do well to keep this technique in your "tool
box" so to speak.

__
SAVE THE SL1200
31-01-2010 20:42
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

When I started producing I would use a home stereo amplifier and speakers on my computer. Because of the bass boost in there my tunes would sound weak on other systems, so mind you that using such speakers colors your sound a great deal.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
12-02-2010 10:52 Homepage of BattleDrone
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i had an old pair of jbl bookshelf speakers with an old pioneer amp,
i blew the jbl's up closely followed by the amp when i got my 1st pc.
next up was a sweet lil nad series 20 amp and celestion A1's,
which i still use today, but they are only for radio and old school tape player.

bite the bullet, get monitors you'll never look back.

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
12-02-2010 13:36
KILLER_FAN KILLER_FAN is a male
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

Helpfulness rating: 

Will do! thanks a lot.
cheers!
13-02-2010 06:08
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » should i use these speakers?