drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Newbie to sound hardware need some explanations
Go to the bottom of this page Newbie to sound hardware need some explanations
Author

Registration Date: 21-04-2004

Hey, Let me first explain before I ask my question

I am a web designer, and a professional in alot of languages. I know my computer shit. I've been building machines and messing about wiv them since i was very very young. But one thing which has slipped me by is music production. I know alot about general pc hardware, but when it comes to music stuff I dont know fuck all.

At the moment i produce drum n bass on a pc with logic, I have 1 gig of DDR ram (Kingston of course) a 3ghz Amd Duron Processor and a brand new ASrock motherboard which i have recently bought.

I want to purchase some sound production hardware, a sound card would be on the list first i imagine but which one to get illudes me, midi has never been explained to me, I understand u can conect keyboards and other midi devices to ur pc with it - but i need to know more from an actual user side (u can only got so much from descriptions)

If someone or some ppl could help me out and just post up a few ideas on what would improve my music production, and what i could really benefit from I would be incredibly grateful as it would help me out a great deal!

Thanx for ur time and thanx in advance to ne one who replies!

__
~tit
21-04-2004 17:20 Homepage of titbread
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Midi is a language designed for electonic tools in the music business to make communication between them possible.

In the case today, the computer is ofton used to give commands to synthesisers connected to it via midi.
When you make an arrangement on your software, and you say the sound has to come from this or that synthesiser, your PC will send a midi signal for each note in the song to the synthesiser: play this note, with that velocidy and stuff for so long.

I don't have hardware (unfortunately) so I have no acual experience with this.

In order to do this, you need a decent soundcard with midi interface. I know m-audio has some nice ones, check them out, I think you'll find something for your needs in your pricerange.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

23-04-2004 10:32 Homepage of Surya
wicked_wayz wicked_wayz is a male
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1681.jpg

Registration Date: 19-03-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

your basic needs...

something like this Cheapest in price 'for the home-producer', those two thickest cables coming out are midi in and midi out, you can connect keyboards, synths etc to those.

than something like this Basic keyboard with a lot of assignable fadres, slider and knobs, can beconnected to midi in or (this keyboard that is) USB

that's all i know...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by wicked_wayz: 30-04-2004 09:51.

23-04-2004 15:15 Homepage of wicked_wayz
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

Not only can u use midi for controlling synthesizers with for example your computer, as Surya explained. U can also use it the other way around. In the hardware section u will find some topics about midi controller keyboards & other controllers. U can for example use the keyboard to create melodies faster, especially people who know how to play a traditional keyboard will find this a lot easier than clicking notes on a screen. A controller with sliders & knobs can be used to make your final mixing easier or faster, control effects & that kind off stuff. Off course u need a soundcard with midi in/out for these things, but most soundcards do, even very old ones using the "gameport". M-Audio & Terratec will most probably have some usefull soundcards within your budget.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play
23-04-2004 19:37 Homepage of djfreemc
dirk
Steppa

Registration Date: 14-11-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
7 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.14

The first thing you need is a decent soundcard and this doesn't need to be expensive . I use a Edirol usb soundcard and it is ok(+-150 euro) . If you are realy serious go for a MOTU firewire (+-1000 euro)

Because you are a computer expert do everything in the pc and dont use outboard gear like synths and big mixingdesks it saves money.But it may be handy to have a usb midi controler .This is usualy a keyboard with knobs and sliders conected to your pc via usb.
with this thing you can very easely control your software instead of using the mouse.It basicaly makes your pc "playable" like a real musical instrument.
Novation makes a control keyboard / synth / audiointerface all in one for +- 600 euro.Behringer makes the cheapest controllers+-200 euro.look at evolution to.

Next you need is a pair of monitor speakers so you can hear what you do.Best thing here is to go for a acousticaly treated room and the bigest monitors you can find (this is the ONLY!!! way you can judge bass responce accuratly)If you don't have 10000 euro or more to spend on monitors go for small active monitors like genelec ,dynaudio , mackie or tannoy all these are pretty good.For no buget at all use your pc speakers and a headphone set.

Greetings Dirk
18-11-2004 19:09
marisol
Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-583.gif

Registration Date: 23-09-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.50

for your purposes i would suggest a solid outbourd mixer connected via firewire then get a midi interface(midi in and out) then if you get some outboard gear you can just patch it in at the mixer and you can use the midi interface to control any outboard synths you happen to get a hold of.
18-11-2004 19:20
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Newbie to sound hardware need some explanations