Poll: Hmm?
FL Studio 6 54.55%
Ableton Live 3 27.27%
Cubase 2 18.18%
Total: 11 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page Picking a main DAW
Author

Registration Date: 01-09-2009

I'm down to 3 options. Over the wintertime I'm going to be extensively learning how to create music, messing with things, etc. The question is, which DAW should I devote all of my time into?

1. Cubase SX 3
2. FL Studio 8 XXL
3. Ableton Live 8

Of course, pro-tools would probably go to top priority if I had any access to it, but for now I don't (Until I buy some M-Audio equipment maybe next year). The one I know best so far is FL Studio. I've got a pretty good understanding of it already, I just have to learn some more from tutorials and mess with some minor stuff. But yeah. Opinions? I've heard Cubase is extremely good, and Ableton is amazing as well.

But, I plan on switching from these 3 as well. I know lots of people that rewire things and using them to their preferences, so I might end up doing that, but I still need to really extensively learn one program. Thanks in advance for any replies.
08-09-2009 08:56
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

just go with whatever you feel comfortable with man it dont matter which you choose
they are basically all the same just a different way of workin
Smile
08-09-2009 09:27
Zugzwang Zugzwang is a male
Doin' it for the love

images/avatars/avatar-2932.jpg

Registration Date: 13-05-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

I've used FL for a couple years and I love it. However, I have not used either Cubase or Ableton so I cannot give you an unbiased answer.

What I will say though, is that your DAW should be something intuitive to use, that allows you to express yourself without having to stumble through the interface. Like if you have an idea, you can throw it down and hear what it sounds like. You don't want to have to sit there and be microscopically precise when you're drawing a note or have trouble drawing triplets, slicing breaks, etc.

So I recommend you find some trials (or torrents Big Grin ) of Cubase and Ableton, or any other DAW you are looking into, and try it for yourself and see if it's any good. Of course you will never pick up a DAW and have the ultimate workflow immediately, you have to learn the keyboard shortcuts and the interface. But if it looks promising, why not go for it? Hell why don't you write one tune in Cubase and another in FL? Who says you have to use just one DAW?

The reason that I like FL is that the interface is really the most intuitive one I have used. It's simple, and it was made to be simple, and that's what I like about it. The synths all fucking suck, the FX that come with it are horrible, but everything else is perfect for me, and that is why I use it. I use FL for the drag-and-drop sampling, the easy-breezy automation, the piano roll, the playlist etc. But the synths and FX I leave to other VSTs. Sometimes I ReWire Reason into it.

The point being that FL is NOT perfect, but my workflow is great when I use it and I have no technical issues like 'How do I route this instrument?' when I am trying to be creative.

That being said, you can achieve that sort of workflow with any DAW that you spend time with. I recommend you play around and find one that seems right for you.

But like they say, it's not the DAW, it's how you use it.
08-09-2009 09:27
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Zugzwang

What I will say though, is that your DAW should be something intuitive to use, that allows you to express yourself without having to stumble through the interface.

i quite argee m8.
try presonus studio one, real easy to get along with.

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
08-09-2009 09:36
Crispy Liquids Crispy Liquids is a male
Liquid Funkateer

images/avatars/avatar-3110.jpg

Registration Date: 22-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

The way I see it, ableton will actually give you more posibilities in a similar working environment. Cubase on the other hand, is "accepted by all", but many methods to do simple things make me frown however, like simply creating a send track.. I heard that was really just retarded in cubase.

So if you have to choose ableton or cubase, I'd really go for extending your posibilities and take the ableton live route Cool

__
Crispy Liquids on Soundcloud Facebook Myspace
08-09-2009 10:01 Homepage of Crispy Liquids
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

fuck all and get reason

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
08-09-2009 11:36 Homepage of cynik
ogenic ogenic is a male
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I would not recommend a DAW, purely because it is a personal choice that depends on how you like to work. All do much the same, imo. What I think you have to ask yourself is what is my currant DAW lacking. In your case FL.
If you plan to switch from which ever you chose, and I assume to pro-tools, then what you may want to do is use one that is closest to this. Otherwise the time you have devoted to DAW X might be a waste of time?

__
OGENIC
Drummer

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by ogenic: 08-09-2009 12:18.

08-09-2009 12:12
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Every DAW has its merits. Some are better for composing (FL Studio, Ableton), others are better for mixing and editing (Cubase, Pro Tools).

I would suggest you spend some time with the demo versions of each, see for yourself which suits you best. Every DAW works a bit differently and unfortunately you need to spend a LOT of time to get to know it well. This makes recommendations very biased, as most people would recommend the DAW they are most familiar with. If you know the ins and outs of one particular DAW all others can seem overly complex and unintuitive Big Grin

I've now committed myself to dump the DAW I'm comfortable with and switch to something completely different, I hope that a change of scenery will give me new insights. But it is so tempting to go back to the old one when I need to get something done quickly...

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
08-09-2009 13:43 Homepage of thechronic
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

nice idea chron!

yeah it dont matter what ya use its what ya feel happy with

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

08-09-2009 15:43 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

DAWs are like religions. You tend to think that the one you started with is the best one.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
08-09-2009 19:27 Homepage of Tomos
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

quote:
Originally posted by Tomos
DAWs are like religions. You tend to think that the one you started with is the best one.

So true, I'm guilty of that myself Big Grin But there's nothing I don't like about my FL, so why change? Big Grin

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
08-09-2009 19:51 Homepage of Puzzle
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

quote:
Originally posted by Tomos

Thats why I'm an athiest then Tomos, I swapped and changed all the time when I started.

Anyway, Reason is the real god Big Grin

I didn't like Cubase 3 at all, no idea what 5 is like. Live was ok, but I thought it was over rated. I know a lot of people who thought it was fantastic a few years back and have since moved on. I thought FLstudio was gash at first, but it is quite an amazing and fun program the further you delve into it.

I would choose FL, but I really like Reason, due to the fact you set things up like an analogue studio.

But in all honesty, I wouldn't choose what program to use from a poll on an internet forum, go and see them all in action in a shop.

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
08-09-2009 22:21
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

quote:
The one I know best so far is FL Studio.

quote:
I don't like escargots

idd, most of the time, u prefer what u 'know'...

imo the more different flavors you've tried, the better you can decide...
09-09-2009 10:36
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I have an extensive background in tracker based composing, nowadays represented in form of Renoise, it looks more complex but it works too. Not that I would try to push you into that direction, just to mention that I have experience with totaly different approaches to composing.

I tried Reason in the past and didn't like the way things are set up. After all you are in the digital world (Daw) so why mess around with cables and make everything look like it is rackmounted? If you had a background in analog gear the switch would be easier, but I'm guessing you don't have that so why bother?

Have tried Cubase 3 in the past (came in lite version with my soudcard), could not feel the approach at all. Also Ableton Live was free in lite-form. Same comment actually. There's a lot of nice stuff in there, but the interface is just "the horror" and I don't like the idea of having to rightclick all kinds of mysterious elements to find extra menus and options, I did check some youtube videos on composing with this daw.

I tried Cockos Reaper, it is very cheap and gets respect from a big crowd, but I find it hard to deal with and very unintuitive, a real inspiration killer.

I tried Presonus Studio One a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed, to me this looks like just another DAW that looks like Cubase or Reaper.

I prefer FL studio, been using it a long time. It alows me to be very creative, but the technical qualities need to improve (automatic latency compensation, track freezing,...) the mixdown is often a letdown for me, the sound seems hollow and has a slight short delayed echo on it at times. But then again I see others who manage to create fantastic tunes in FL (people like Tomos or Culture Boy to name a couple) and even some top producers like Spor seem to use it.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
09-09-2009 12:32 Homepage of BattleDrone
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

cheers drone old pal!!! Big Grin

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

09-09-2009 12:56 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
m-ej m-ej is a male
Master Producer

Registration Date: 08-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
I have an extensive background in tracker based composing, nowadays represented in form of Renoise, it looks more complex but it works too. Not that I would try to push you into that direction, just to mention that I have experience with totaly different approaches to composing.

I tried Reason in the past and didn't like the way things are set up. After all you are in the digital world (Daw) so why mess around with cables and make everything look like it is rackmounted? If you had a background in analog gear the switch would be easier, but I'm guessing you don't have that so why bother?

Have tried Cubase 3 in the past (came in lite version with my soudcard), could not feel the approach at all. Also Ableton Live was free in lite-form. Same comment actually. There's a lot of nice stuff in there, but the interface is just "the horror" and I don't like the idea of having to rightclick all kinds of mysterious elements to find extra menus and options, I did check some youtube videos on composing with this daw.

I tried Cockos Reaper, it is very cheap and gets respect from a big crowd, but I find it hard to deal with and very unintuitive, a real inspiration killer.

I tried Presonus Studio One a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed, to me this looks like just another DAW that looks like Cubase or Reaper.

I prefer FL studio, been using it a long time. It alows me to be very creative, but the technical qualities need to improve (automatic latency compensation, track freezing,...) the mixdown is often a letdown for me, the sound seems hollow and has a slight short delayed echo on it at times. But then again I see others who manage to create fantastic tunes in FL (people like Tomos or Culture Boy to name a couple) and even some top producers like Spor seem to use it.

no ableton b/d m8?

__
m-ej is taking a few steps back from forum life.
09-09-2009 13:09
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone

I never noticed these issues with FL. Could you explain them a bit further?

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
09-09-2009 13:54 Homepage of Muad'Dib
duckmonster

Registration Date: 13-09-2009

I'm dead keen on Ableton, but sometimes find it a bit hard to really just get spazzy on the drums like I used to with the old trackers.

Tried my hand back on a tracker the other day, and just couldn't do it anymore. I think Ableton has spoiled me.
13-09-2009 16:37
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Picking a main DAW