drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Do you rather work with samples or VSTs?
Go to the bottom of this page Do you rather work with samples or VSTs?
Author
orchestral/idm/deep/liquid/experi/mental

images/avatars/avatar-2659.jpg

Registration Date: 13-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Hey guys I was wondering if u prefer working with samples for pretty much everything in your tracks (bass, pads, synths, strings...) or do you prefer VSTs? VSTs are a CPU killer (the better ones for processing sounds) in general, but thats not the reason I almost everytime work with samples. Its just more fun for me. I like sampling a lot. Especialy strings from orchestral stuff. So what do you prefer?

__
___ Visit MYspace ___
20-06-2009 11:19 Homepage of wrm
Evasive Action Evasive Action is a male
joeuk

images/avatars/avatar-2839.jpg

Registration Date: 25-11-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

when you say work with samples do you mean stuff you have sampled yourself from other tracks or samples from sample packs or samples you have made using VSTs? lol it might be stupid question but im not very confident with sampling yet
20-06-2009 12:53
Sephiroth Sephiroth is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3285.jpg

Registration Date: 11-04-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

samples, every time.....even if im using a vst to create a reece or whatever, ill still bounce down the output of the vst as audio to process, prefer it that way cuz then you can sample bits of modulation created by the vst and process them further.

__
Sephiroth Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/sephiroth_rees

Sephiroth Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sephirothdnb

C-Sonix Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/c-sonix

C-Sonix Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/csonix
20-06-2009 15:33 Homepage of Sephiroth
napster55 napster55 is a male
Snitch And Chemist

images/avatars/avatar-2768.jpg

Registration Date: 14-06-2008

VSTS normally then i internal bounce them to save CPU usage then i bowl loads of plugins onto them to create a totally different sound. vsts are good raw but i dont really like to sample out of packs, only of course drums and sum minor fx but i tend to try n make everything find it more fun tbh.

__
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SNCDNB

-SNITCH-

-AIM - SNITCHDNB
-MSN- DUKES21_3@HOTMAIL.COM
20-06-2009 15:56 Homepage of napster55
wrm
orchestral/idm/deep/liquid/experi/mental

images/avatars/avatar-2659.jpg

Registration Date: 13-09-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Evasive Action
when you say work with samples do you mean stuff you have sampled yourself from other tracks or samples from sample packs or samples you have made using VSTs? lol it might be stupid question but im not very confident with sampling yet

I mean samples as wav(or whatever sound format) files imported to your track no matter how they were made

__
___ Visit MYspace ___
20-06-2009 16:18 Homepage of wrm
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

i like a mixture of both.

tend to make my own basses and reeces and just use the VSTs rather than bounce them.
gives a little more leeway for modifying at a later date.

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
20-06-2009 18:14
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

i use mainly synths and samplers but i would say 70 percent is samples in some way be it sampled instruments but i still use midi to trigger those, all bass and leads are done with thor Drummer
20-06-2009 18:36
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

I prefer samples....
- I like the limitations of them
- It's easier to collab (unless you use Reason ofcourse)
- It's CPU friendly
- You have more control over it, don't need to learn a lot about a VST
- Anything can be a sample, even the weirdest click, piece of vocal, real life sound,...
- Samples can be processed and resampled and processed again... the possiblities are endless.

I often start with some VSTi sounds and bounce them.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
20-06-2009 23:16 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

sigh, so everyone samples VST ... I think he ment do you use pure samples, not sampled VSTs. I wanted to see some unique answers, but you can use VST's and save them as wavs and you're still using VSTs.

but i understand the response, because he talked about vst's being cpu killers. but if you sample the vst, i would consider that using VST. I never bounce down samples, I find it takes to long. FL9 will have the feature finally to easily freeze tracks.

DO YOU GUYS SAMPLE ANYTHING OTHER THEN VSTs?

I have sampled some weird things like odd mic sounds on Ventrillo from other peoples damaged mics. that was a good one.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 21-06-2009 00:43.

21-06-2009 00:34 Homepage of Halph-Price
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price

sigh, so everyone samples VST ... I think he ment do you use pure samples, not sampled VSTs. I wanted to see some unique answers, but you can use VST's and save them as wavs and you're still using VSTs.

but i understand the response, because he talked about vst's being cpu killers. but if you sample the vst, i would consider that using VST. I never bounce down samples, I find it takes to long. FL9 will have the feature finally to easily freeze tracks.

he asked which we prefer not where do we get our samples :S Big Grin

I have sampled some weird things like odd mic sounds on Ventrillo from other peoples damaged mics. that was a good one.
21-06-2009 00:59
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by demure
quote:

he asked which we prefer not where do we get our samples :S Big Grin

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

21-06-2009 01:14 Homepage of Halph-Price
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Seven Gun

tend to make my own basses and reeces and just use the VSTs rather than bounce them.

Exactly. Aside from drums (which I use as samples, of course), I don't use too many samples. I mainly use VSTis and compose everything. I don't bounce them to wav (although that will save me loads of CPU) because I might wanna change them later on.
FL Studio's "Smart Disable" is one of the best functions I've met - killing CPU VST usage when they're not used for playing. Saves loads of CPU and actually kills the need for .wav bouncing.

Even some sounds that seem samples in my tunes I am doing with VSTi's, then process them with FX.
The only situation where I see the need to sample a VST is when I want to do intentional pitch-shift on some VSTi WITH loosing the formant frequencies etc (like on vocals etc.) so they would sound sampled and be there for an effect (which I cannot do with regular pitch-shift with the very VSTi).

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
21-06-2009 03:00 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
quote:

Exactly. Aside from drums (which I use as samples, of course), I don't use too many samples. I mainly use VSTis and compose everything. I don't bounce them to wav (although that will save me loads of CPU) because I might wanna change them later on.
FL Studio's "Smart Disable" is one of the best functions I've met - killing CPU VST usage when they're not used for playing. Saves loads of CPU and actually kills the need for .wav bouncing.

Even some sounds that seem samples in my tunes I am doing with VSTi's, then process them with FX.
The only situation where I see the need to sample a VST is when I want to do intentional pitch-shift on some VSTi WITH loosing the formant frequencies etc (like on vocals etc.) so they would sound sampled and be there for an effect (which I cannot do with regular pitch-shift with the very VSTi).

http://www.rs-met.com/software/freebies/...hifter_v0.5.zip unless you want to do constant pitch shifting up and down then i say use an auto-tune program.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

21-06-2009 03:32 Homepage of Halph-Price
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

I prefer samples. I have a big folder of waveforms that I've collected from all over the place and I often use them as my base sounds. I think you get much more control over the sound if you use samples because you're not limited by the structure of the vst, i.e. you can put a filter, flanger, envelopes, etc. wherever you want in the chain instead of just where the person that designed the vsti thought one should be.

Modular synths are another story though.
21-06-2009 12:28
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

I normally use VST's for my leads and basses etc.
Just because designing sounds with VST's is fun. Big Grin

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
21-06-2009 12:40 Homepage of Puzzle
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

apart from sample usage - almost never VSTs but almost always THOR Devil

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by cynik: 21-06-2009 13:47.

21-06-2009 13:46 Homepage of cynik
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by cynik

Yeah, because you can't use VSTi. Bitch.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
21-06-2009 15:31 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
quote:
quote:

http://www.rs-met.com/software/freebies/...hifter_v0.5.zip unless you want to do constant pitch shifting up and down then i say use an auto-tune program.

Thanx Cliff. You saved me some time. Bigup

__

-Bene Gesserit
21-06-2009 15:31 Homepage of Muad'Dib
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cynik

Yeah, because you can't use VSTi. Bitch.

I can, I use ableton now, cunt

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
21-06-2009 15:34 Homepage of cynik
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

bass = vst's

beats n ambiance = samples

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

21-06-2009 15:42 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Do you rather work with samples or VSTs?