drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Tascam FW-1884
Go to the bottom of this page Tascam FW-1884
Author
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Has anyone any info on this piece of hardware? Here's the official page: Tascam's FW-1884

I would like to use it as a studio equipment, plus live acts etc. Can anyone tell me anything on quality of Tascam products?

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
11-06-2009 01:39 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

it'll last you 2 years, at least. so not bad...

i suggest b

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 11-06-2009 14:32.

11-06-2009 14:30 Homepage of Halph-Price
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

LOL, i cut off that post in mid sentence, g/f walked in the house I think.

anyways, it's suggested that the life of a mix board is equaled to the price you pay. and this general terms, but it was 1k = 1 year.

so you get a 5k board, it'll last, FUNCTIONALLY, for 5 years. after about 4 years a track or so will break, stuff will die on it. afer 5 years, it'll have to be refurbished.

i bet the warranty will last 2 years on the board as well. check it out, warranty to price.

i am talking about this from the perspective of a in-house mixing board at a club. something taht's used almost everyday for hours. they know how to simulate testing of a board for years, and how long the parts will last. so the warrenty will show you how long to expect to get out of the board.

for a basment mixer like you, i doubt it'll get as long of usage out, so you'll get the longer end of the use of it. but for tascan, there not a bad brand. to find out about gear, google it, and look for reviews from users that have used the board for a while.

i like tascam for their i/o it's not bad i have a a little input for the laptop and it's good quality. it's like mackies stuff, afforadable and for small productions.

to be honest, that is a really good semi-pro board. that would be something a small digital studio would have. motorized touch sensitive faders, and all taht jazz. I am impressed. it's got everything you'd find ina pro-studio bro. if you can affoard it and NEED it and love it, go for it. it will help with doing mixing, live or in teh studio. looks a bit durable, but i wouldn't want to test it, thoes mechanical faders can be a really fucking bitch.

this is ment for studio production. you can use it for live production, but IMHO my experince with live mixing, has been with analog boards, an the main difference, si that touch sensative element. with live sound you have to be faster reacting, and having to place the finger on the center f the fader, to trigger the movment of the fader, is odd. a lot of the tehcnique of moving faders is to slider them, from top or bottem.

motorized faders are more prone to failure, and live situations, yuo got mroe sweat, beer, and smoke, and just general haze in the room from having so many people crnuch into a small poorly ventilated room. or if it's outside, then humidity.

so, all in all, good board for a studio, I would not suggest using it for many live gigs, even though you could. get a travel case for it fi you do, if you spend that sort of money on the mixer.

if you're going to use sometihng live, just get a cheap mixer for live. if you're mixing a band, i can see that, if you're mixing yourself, you don't need something that complicated.

so what is your use for the board?

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 14-06-2009 17:54.

14-06-2009 17:43 Homepage of Halph-Price
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Hey, thanx Halph for the long explanation. I get what you mean.
I am not sure about the durability of this kind of equipment as I only worked with something similar in studios.
Nevertheless, I am planning to mix my prerendered pieces of tunes, with live guitar and MC, and plus use my Numark Total Control console to spin tunes... something like a semi-electronic band.
It is a bit expensive for my budget, but I finally got the money, I guess Big Grin

Thank you for the long explanation again and sorry I didn't answer on your first, I forgot I read it Big Grin

EDIT: Oh, and about motorized faders - I don't know how good I will be in working with them.
The thing with this equipment is that I can use it to construct a studio latter in time. It is a kind of multi-choice equipment.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
19-06-2009 14:43 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
Hey, thanx Halph for the long explanation. I get what you mean.
I am not sure about the durability of this kind of equipment as I only worked with something similar in studios.
Nevertheless, I am planning to mix my prerendered pieces of tunes, with live guitar and MC, and plus use my Numark Total Control console to spin tunes... something like a semi-electronic band.
It is a bit expensive for my budget, but I finally got the money, I guess Big Grin

Thank you for the long explanation again and sorry I didn't answer on your first, I forgot I read it Big Grin

EDIT: Oh, and about motorized faders - I don't know how good I will be in working with them.
The thing with this equipment is that I can use it to construct a studio latter in time. It is a kind of multi-choice equipment.

motorized faders just reads/writes the automation on tracks you assign it too. kinda cool.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

20-06-2009 05:35 Homepage of Halph-Price
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Tascam FW-1884