drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » can Cool Edit Pro be used to sample from vinyl?
Go to the bottom of this page can Cool Edit Pro be used to sample from vinyl?
Author
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Now I plan on using my old vinyl to get some of my samples. I have cool edit pro2, is this ok to use?

Your input is much appreciated.
Drummer
OGENIC

edit by thechronic:
this has been split off from which modern DAW for someone who is used to trackers?

__
OGENIC
Drummer
27-08-2008 15:43
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Cool Edit Pro has been bought by Adobe and is now called Adobe Audition. It is an audio editor and recorder, it is very much suited for recording and editing samples.

When sampling from vinyl you have to use a preamp with an RIAA equalizing curve. Vinyls are cut using a severe bass roll-off eq to make sure the needle doesn't move too much on bass sounds.

this image explains the EQ curve that is needed for a faithful vinyl playback:

RIAA equalization curve (source: wikipedia.org)

You need a little box called an 'RIAA equalizing preamp' which you have to put between your deck and your sound card. This will amplify the (very weak) record player output to line level and apply the RIAA curve. Something like the Behringer PP400 costs around 25€.

Behringer PP400 phono preamp (source: behringer.com)

Alternatively, you can hook up the deck to a DJ mixer, and record the output from the DJ mixer. All DJ mixers have RIAA preamps built in. This is the second best option, most DJ mixers will degrade the sound quality.

The third option is to apply the RIAA curve in software. I don't know if Cool Edit Pro has this built in. Audacity has it, which is a similar program to Cool Edit Pro and is free open source software. Check it out.

RIAA equalization curve applied in software using Audacity

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
28-08-2008 12:09 Homepage of thechronic
ogenic ogenic is a male
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Once again chronic, TYVM Big Grin

__
OGENIC
Drummer
01-09-2008 01:32
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » can Cool Edit Pro be used to sample from vinyl?