drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Want to dump my iPod / iTunes
Go to the bottom of this page Want to dump my iPod / iTunes
Author
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

I want to get rid of my ipod, I have no problems with the player itself but I'm getting more and more pissed off at iTunes, and since iTunes is the only practical way to put music on it the ipod will have to go too.

Anyone got a mp3 player they can recommend? I'm looking for good sound quality, and I mean that in an audio engineering way. Very low noise floor, low distortion headphone amp, very flat frequency response, accurate mp3 decoder, preferably with support for 16-bit WAV / AIFF / FLAC files.

I'm not interested in 'deep bass and crystal clear highs', just no bloody noise and a flat response. I've tested a couple and they are either noisy or use some stupid bass enhancement crap that fucks up the audio. I need it for setting up sound systems Big Grin

Anyone got one they are fond of?

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
21-07-2008 03:24 Homepage of thechronic
technetiumzk technetiumzk is a male
Super-Duper Rad Funky

images/avatars/avatar-2589.png

Registration Date: 21-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

I also want to make the switch mate, ipod sucks hairy ass X]
IO suggest the Creative Zen, great, has fm radio, recording support, and video, as well as being much cheaper. I had one before i switched to ipod to look cool, but now i realize it was a bad idea. The one problem i have with making the switch is that i have all my bought tunes in M4pm which means its an Mp4 file protected by password. There are many mp4>mp3 convertors outt there, but none that support M4p>Mp3. I have protected music convertor but it doesnt work o my comp. if anyone can help than i would appreciate it.
cheers m8

__
LOL Rockin
im 14, deal with it.
21-07-2008 07:49 Homepage of technetiumzk
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

i got one of these...........

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=NW-A806&site=odw_en_G
B&category=Network+Walkman

Works a treat, the software can be a little annoying at first but once you get round it its cool and it does normal mp3 compression or you can use its own format which to my ears sounds really good.

actually just realised they've changed the software so its not drag and drop method.

all the equalisations are user defined and the default sounds pretty flat too me.

Only problem is that it can be a bit quiet compared to some but if you are testing PA then it might not be soo bad

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

21-07-2008 09:06 Homepage of D2o
djfreemc djfreemc is a male
Sponsor

images/avatars/avatar-89.jpg

Registration Date: 25-07-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
10 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.40

As for the creative mp3 players, I only have experience with my gf's Zen Stone, and the battery runs out about every day or so. The sound quality is OK but imo not extraordinary. I must say that if creative's driver/firmware support for they're mp3 players is as shitty as for the soundcards, I would advise not to buy them.

Personally I still stick with my early generation medion HD player (also known as the A-pod). It can be updated with the firmware of the latest versions, and uses the same decoding/audio chip as the early generations of Ipod's(PP5020D-TF Portal Player chip). So I would supose audio quality will be similar to those. I believe you can also replace the harddisk with a bigger one if you would want to do so.
more info here: http://www.razyboard.com/system/user_aldipod.html (mostly german)

I have heard many good things about the I-river players, but I have no experience with them.

Another possibility might be to try the alternative Rockbox firmware first, as it may relief some of your stress points, but you can keep the hardware quality of your I-pod.

About the copying of the protected tracks: If I'm not mistaken, you can burn them as audio cd without any problem, from there, you can re-encode them to any format you want. You can use a cd-rw for this so you don't have to waste a whole stack of empty cd's. It's a lot of work, but an effective workaround.

__
The mysteries of the distorted snare...
Can't win if u don't play

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by djfreemc: 27-07-2008 21:22.

27-07-2008 21:10 Homepage of djfreemc
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
I want to get rid of my ipod, I have no problems with the player itself but I'm getting more and more pissed off at iTunes, and since iTunes is the only practical way to put music on it the ipod will have to go too.

Anyone got a mp3 player they can recommend? I'm looking for good sound quality, and I mean that in an audio engineering way. Very low noise floor, low distortion headphone amp, very flat frequency response, accurate mp3 decoder, preferably with support for 16-bit WAV / AIFF / FLAC files.

I'm not interested in 'deep bass and crystal clear highs', just no bloody noise and a flat response. I've tested a couple and they are either noisy or use some stupid bass enhancement crap that fucks up the audio. I need it for setting up sound systems Big Grin

Anyone got one they are fond of?

You plan on selling that thing? Big Grin I might be interested in bying it...

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
27-07-2008 21:33 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc
About the copying of the protected tracks: If I'm not mistaken, you can burn them as audio cd without any problem, from there, you can re-encode them to any format you want. You can use a cd-rw for this so you don't have to waste a whole stack of empty cd's. It's a lot of work, but an effective workaround.

You are dumping audio quality that way. There was a workaround for DRM protected tracks, that allows you to take the encrypted file beside the protection, but I cannot mention any links or whatever here (it is warez). Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
27-07-2008 21:38 Homepage of Muad'Dib
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

thanks all for the replies. I have no DRM trouble, still prefer to buy stuff on CD and then rip it myself using Exact Audio Copy and LAME with VBR so I can tweak the quality myself Smile

That Rockbox looks really interesting, I'm going to try to install it, it looks like it will solve my iTunes problem Smile

I've come across a forum for mp3 player and headphone nutjobs called head-fi, and they test lots of players (complete with frequency response graphs etc Smile ) and they seem to be fond of a player called Cowon D2. I've looked it up and it seems like a great little thing. But that Rockbox might solve my problem for free!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
28-07-2008 01:24 Homepage of thechronic
Friscko Friscko is a male
Aron Tinnitus

images/avatars/avatar-2291.gif

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.74

i've heard good comments on the players from Cowon and iRiver. cant speak for myself, as i've got a 1gb zen stone, which is probably not what you're looking for

__

www.myspace.com/arontinnitus
www.myspace.com/djfriscko
28-07-2008 01:32 Homepage of Friscko
GeeZZ
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 31-03-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

oh my dayz!!!! i HATE itunes when you have loads of tunes itunes is impossible, do i understand that rockbox is compatable with the ipod i spose there must be alternative software that you can use instead of itunes i never really thought about that,

what software is most compatable with IPOD .
28-07-2008 14:58
GeeZZ
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 31-03-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.33

oh yer, n what if any combine podcasts
28-07-2008 15:03
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Muad'Dib
You are dumping audio quality that way. There was a workaround for DRM protected tracks, that allows you to take the encrypted file beside the protection, but I cannot mention any links or whatever here (it is warez). Big Grin

There are also some freeware programs (not warez) that say they can do this, I haven't tested them because I don't have any protected Itunes tracks.

QTFairUse

Hymn

__
28-07-2008 21:28 Homepage of djfreemc
technetiumzk technetiumzk is a male
Super-Duper Rad Funky

images/avatars/avatar-2589.png

Registration Date: 21-04-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by djfreemc

There are also some freeware programs (not warez) that say they can do this, I haven't tested them because I don't have any protected Itunes tracks.

QTFairUse

Hymn

TY TY TY TTTTYYYY
i need this man, thanks a bunch!

__
LOL Rockin
im 14, deal with it.
28-07-2008 22:49 Homepage of technetiumzk
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I've installed RockBox on my iPod. I thought a firmware update would be risky and difficult, but it's very easy and fully automatic. At first sight I am VERY impressed with it, it got tons of applications with it (even a version of the classic Doom game Shocked ) and it works beautifully as a music player, it even supports FLAC files!

I've changed iTunes for Foobar2000 which is more my kind of program, very fast and lightweight and with advanced features (eg automatically fill the mp3 tags from the filenames etc). And no background services and sneaky software installs like iTunes has.

__
02-08-2008 01:12 Homepage of thechronic
Sponsor

Helpfulness rating: 

So after about a month of playing around with rockbox, what do you think about it?

__
30-08-2008 12:40 Homepage of djfreemc
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

It's great, works a treat. It has crashed on some rare occasion though, but this can easily be fixed by holding the menu+select buttons for 5 seconds.

It seems like the batteries last a bit longer too, and the little niceties like the short fade-out when you stop the music makes it great. The games etc I haven't used after the first day, it's a music player after all Big Grin

I'm also very pleased with Foobar2000, use it all the time now.

__
31-08-2008 13:09 Homepage of thechronic
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Want to dump my iPod / iTunes