drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Protect your ears, you're gonna need them...
Go to the bottom of this page Protect your ears, you're gonna need them...
Author
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Ok dudes, I'm a bit older than most of you and been producing/partying quite a few years already... A few weeks ago I noticed some serious ear problems, there were some little irritations for quite some time already, but now it got worse.

So I checked out a doctor who told me that you should really watch out with headphones Listen , you'll get damage to your hearing pretty fast from it. But don't think you're on the safe site when on monitors though.

What's most important is not producing on an extremely high level and/or for a long period of time. For example: a level of 85db is ok, but not for longer than 8 hours, after that it can be damaging already. 95db can damage after 4 hours and it goes on like that. 130db is the pain limit for most people, but that doesn't mean you have to be the macho who stays for hours on a party with 129db. Although this might sound like old guy's shizzle to all you young guys, don't forget that you too will have to live several years with those ears of yours and hearing aids are not sexy (just not yet, only if apple starts to make some iHear perhaps Teeth ).

Special risks when on headphones:
- Experimenting... an enormous WEEEEP or click, a synth going berzerk with loud noise, a frequency sweep in an EQ to find peaks... Watch out with it, they sometimes actually cause physical pain in your ears.
- Turn up the volume every 15 minutes or so to "feel" the sound. After a while it is so extremely loud that it is doing damage, but you won't notice because it wasn't loud from the beginning. Kinda like the boiling frog story.

The worst thing that happend to me, probably causing my current problems happened when I was picking hihats and listened to about 30 minutes to nothing but (compressed) hihats on my headphones. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my left ear with no obvious reason. Since then i can't stand sounds from the higher part of the spectrum, even at modest levels (forks on plates and all that even gives me the creeps now). Seems like my ear lost it's ability to figure out the level of a sound and therefore "thinks" everything is loud, this problem is called hyperacusis, it can be healed more or less by listening to controlled amounts of "pink noise".
I cut down on producing for now and also lowered the levels of my monitors, avoiding headphones and bought one of these....
to have an idea of the amount of noise I'm making. I never go above 80db anymore now.

Let's hope the treatment helps.

Peace y'all.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
08-01-2008 01:33 Homepage of BattleDrone
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

nice one battledrone.
a very smart, informed and responsible point. Happy
big upz!

although i cant see me ever wanting to turn it down Big Grin

i hate the pain of the filter sometimes when it goes like "wwiiiiichikichikichhciihcchiiiweieieieie"

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
08-01-2008 05:33
brucifer brucifer is a male
Making all the tunes your mum loves

images/avatars/avatar-2912.gif

Registration Date: 23-10-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
13 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.85

Hope your hearing gets better soon. I suffer from ear problems now days, partly due to working with heavy industrial machinery and about 18 years of going to punk/metal gigs and raves.

The thing is, you really don't realise how much damage is being done when your younger. You do get the warnings, like walking out of gigs and your hearing is muffled. But sadly, most of us laugh at it... Well worth taking earplugs to a gig/rave, you should keep 'em in ya wallet with ya condoms. You don't know when your going to need either! Big Grin

__
Drink Drool Gaga Tomato
08-01-2008 07:39
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

quote:
Originally posted by brucifer
Well worth taking earplugs to a gig/rave, you should keep 'em in ya wallet with ya condoms. You don't know when your going to need either! Big Grin

Well, as long as you take the condoms you'll be alright. Because if you don't get lucky you can always puts them over your ears.

Big Grin

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
08-01-2008 08:59 Homepage of Tomos
OBLIVION12 OBLIVION12 is a male
Producer

Registration Date: 16-11-2007

man i know what your saying! over xmas i had what i think was an ear in fection, the pains direct to the brain and it done my head in, i put the problem down to my computer and me trying to improve my productions which is happening slowly, I remember adjusting a vst, something went wrong with the prcessing and this terrible beep noise bellowed out my speakers and i felt my left ear sort of vibrate inside lol it aint been the same since, i blame my pooter
Man i never want to hear that high pitch aqueal that came out my monitiors again
Im posting the remix of my last tune very soon! its an improvment i feel

laters!
08-01-2008 12:03
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

When experimenting with synths or EQing it's a good idea to keep the level low. Especially when on headphones. When you are doing your mixdown and you want to have a good listen you could turn the volume up a bit.

__
08-01-2008 17:05 Homepage of BattleDrone
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I try to always keep the volume down as much as possible, but when adjusting levels and stuff, it needs to be a certain level. But even that won't be above 80db I think (I should buy a meter too...)

If I go out I ALWAYS wear earplugs, and that helps a LOT. I used to have up to 3 days of ringing in my ears afterwards, but now when I wake up, my ears have recovered completely.

I do have some slight tinnitus in my right ear. I've had it for 5 years now, and I think it's steady. I'd like to keep it the way it is now.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

08-01-2008 19:32 Homepage of Surya
CULTURE BOY CULTURE BOY is a male
v v v iv a record missing

images/avatars/avatar-2361.jpg

Registration Date: 12-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.83

quote:
Originally posted by Tomos
quote:
Originally posted by brucifer
Well worth taking earplugs to a gig/rave, you should keep 'em in ya wallet with ya condoms. You don't know when your going to need either! Big Grin

Well, as long as you take the condoms you'll be alright. Because if you don't get lucky you can always puts them over your ears.

Big Grin

TOMO U ARE A FUNNY GUY LMAO! THE PAIN OF A BIG SYSTEM AND SOUNDS IS GOOD BUT VERY BAD

__
www.myspace.com/cultureboydnb
soundcloud

08-01-2008 22:49 Homepage of CULTURE BOY
Nebulizer Nebulizer is a male
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

I have noticed recently that my ears fuzz more than usuall when im in silence. Its now got to a point when i can hear the fuzzing when im watching TV or talking to people. I guess this is just spennding too much time at raves and listening to my speakers when making tunes.

I never got this before but now (and it seems quite suddenly) if i spend an hour infront of my speakers my ears fuzz really quite badly when i sleep. If i leave it a few days it goes down a bit, but i never go more than a few days without making music so the noise has seemed to build - i cant even remember what my ears sound like in silence any more. But the point is that im quite worried about my ears. Im only 17 and even though the fuzz is quite minor, what will it be like when im 40?!

What can i do about this? Will this fuzz go away? Is this an early sign of tinitus or some shit like that? Can anyone relate to waht im saying?

Your thoughts?..

__
Art For Your Ears...
09-01-2008 00:41
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

I've been wearing earplugs for the last few months at gigs now.

Ever since i went to innovation, it was the last night and my ears were fine up till then (mostly cuz i try not to stand too close to the speakers at any night) but for the last night we got a lil drunk Big Grin and got right at the front to watch G-Dub and i few others and i was bassically hugging the speaks and loving them for the lovely bass they were feeding me but for about 2+ weeks after that my ears were fucked. I couldnt stand loud noise and my hearing seemed my be muffled. It was especially bad around the frequencies of speech which made it hard cuz i kept having to ask people what they were saying cuz i was having trouble understanding what they were saying.

Anyway since then I've worn ear plugs and *touch wood* they've been fine since.

Seeing as i want to be a sound engineer as a career i thought it might be a good idea Teeth

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

09-01-2008 00:42 Homepage of D2o
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I began to feel some of the upper spectrum is lost for me like 1-2 years ago, and I started wearing earplugs at parties. My hearing is still sometimes dampened by the loud music, but never as before.

Earplugs are a very nice thing, and I recommend you all wear them. I just don't know where to find decent ones here.

@BD: It's actually 85dB - 8 hours; 95dB - 4 hours; 105dB 2 hours...

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
09-01-2008 02:47 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Nebulizer Nebulizer is a male
Danny boy

Registration Date: 28-08-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 5.00

I have worn some silicone earplugs to the last few parties ive been to. I got em mainly because they are basically invisible when you wear them, but they are annoying as hell! Its like sticking bluetack in your ears and i seem to find myself fiddling with em all night. They did the job pretty well though. When i get home in the morning after wearing them my ears dont ring nearly as much as if i dont use them. But i do want to get some propper ear plugs because i still think the sillicone ones dont reduce the frequencies enough, its more like raving out with your fingers in your ears all night.

So does anyone know of, or reccommend, any decent ear plugs? Preferably ones that reduce the frequencies (high tones and low tones) more evenly. When i wear the sillicone ones it just gets rid of the high freqeuncies so i can only hear the bass.

__
Art For Your Ears...
09-01-2008 12:55
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

@ Muad'dib: adjusted the values, thanks.

Good earplugs are custom made for your ears and cost quite some money, but they reduce the whole spectrum evenly, the cheaper ones I used to wear leave tons of bass and a bit of mids and you indeed get the idea you are dancing with your fingers in your ears. When you try to talk to someone you feel like a retard because you can't understand a word of it.

Weird actually, almost everyone seems to wear some kind of protection (= good thing). And most people are complaining about fucked up ears the day(s) after if they don't wear protection.
So I must ask: why the hell don't those party organisers lower the volume with 10-15db, after 20 minutes you don't notice it anymore. It should be illegal to damage people's ears like that? Imagine how empty cinema's would be if it would damage your eyes like parties damage your ears. Why do most people ignore this problem?

__
09-01-2008 14:11 Homepage of BattleDrone
CLARKFADER
unregistered
this is so funny man , ive bin worrying about my ears 4 some time now Confused , and i was only woundering the other day wether people were havin the same problems that i am havin !!!!!! i`m 32 now and i`ve bin ravin since i was 15 Drummer , the good old days , and listening to loud music nearly all my life , now it is definately takin its toll , funally enough i thought my right ear was the worsed but when i got them checked they said it was my left ear that was worse and that your brain decives you a bit , sometimes i go 4 days not being able to get into the music im makin , i notice it most of the time now , so be warned all u youngsters look after your ears you cant fix them , only with hearing aids !!!!!!

anyway , i get the same thing , my ears hert most of the time when im out , not good , i`ve always loved loud music and always played it loud at home , but it has come at a price and by the sounds of things a lot of other people r havin the same problems im am havin , take care of them and dont play it too loud , it stops u`r mum from naggin , lol !!!!!!!!!
09-01-2008 14:31
Invent Invent is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 03-09-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

im studying to becoming an audioloog.. basically checking out peoples hearing, and how to help them with wat kind of hearing aid... also technical sound applies... how to build acoustics and sound barriers.... i wear hearing protection when i go clubbing... but already have slight hearing damage... however not that bad yet... just dont turn up your mp3 whole way and come see me in ten years hahah
09-01-2008 16:07 Homepage of Invent
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by Invent
im studying to becoming an audioloog.. basically checking out peoples hearing, and how to help them with wat kind of hearing aid...

Now there's a job with some good future... in 10-15 years the ipod generation will stand in line in front of your door, just like they lined up to buy the ipod now.

There's a problem with the design of the human brain. When a person does not see any negative results of his deeds within the next 10 years he sees no reason to change or stop his behaviour. Damages your ears, damages your lungs, damages the planet, will kill us all in the end.

__
09-01-2008 17:20 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

BETTER MIXES ARE DONE ON LOWER VOLUME

if it sounds boss quiet it WILL sound good louder.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Halph-Price: 09-01-2008 18:22.

09-01-2008 18:22 Homepage of Halph-Price
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Oh yeah, don't forget to recognize when your ears hurt. In most cases it won't feel like pain in your ears, but you will feel it in your jaw.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

09-01-2008 19:37 Homepage of Surya
Tomos Tomos is a male
Infidel

images/avatars/avatar-2998.jpg

Registration Date: 15-04-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.28

Also, don't wait until your ears are hurting before you turn down the volume/put the ear plugs in. The damage will have already been done.

__
MySpace | Soundcloud | Drumnbass.be | Facebook
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan
09-01-2008 20:27 Homepage of Tomos
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Exactly. Prevention is the name of the game

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

09-01-2008 21:49 Homepage of Surya
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 next »
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Protect your ears, you're gonna need them...