drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Tunes » Trying to make dnb ...Getting there ?
Go to the bottom of this page Trying to make dnb ...Getting there ?
Author
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.50

okay.
well .. tried again last night ....

www.electrobel.com/60_5.mp3

tell me

__
oooooo yeeeeeeeeeah.
25-01-2003 11:43 Homepage of ZARk
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Wooww what a weird song Big Grin

It starts out really chilled and minimalistic, and all of a sudden there is this thunderous bass knocking me off me socks Shocked and there comes the beat!!!! woohoooo Drummer

You got the swing right now Big Grin the hihats have a lot of groove now, not as static as your previous attempts.. nice Smile )

The song is OK IMO very progressive and interesting, but maybe not so much for the dance floor. You've put great work in the rhythm, lots of programming going on, I like that Big Grin

There are no melodies in it, but it's not really missed, since the industrial noise goes well with the frantic breaks.

Soundwise it's a bit too sharp to my ears, and the kick drum does not come out very well. I can hear the kick because it affects the compression, but in itself I can hardly hear it. Maybe it contains a lot of sub which I don't hear on my 10" speakers... Replace the kick drum sample please to something slammin hard to match the rest of this industrial dnb mayhem Big Grin

And the ending is very abrupt, but I guess it's not finished Tongue

You're getting there man Big Grin Bigup

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
25-01-2003 12:22 Homepage of thechronic
ZARk ZARk is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Wooww what a weird song Big Grin

It starts out really chilled and minimalistic, and all of a sudden there is this thunderous bass knocking me off me socks Shocked and there comes the beat!!!! woohoooo Drummer

You got the swing right now Big Grin the hihats have a lot of groove now, not as static as your previous attempts.. nice Smile )

The song is OK IMO very progressive and interesting, but maybe not so much for the dance floor. You've put great work in the rhythm, lots of programming going on, I like that Big Grin

There are no melodies in it, but it's not really missed, since the industrial noise goes well with the frantic breaks.

Soundwise it's a bit too sharp to my ears, and the kick drum does not come out very well. I can hear the kick because it affects the compression, but in itself I can hardly hear it. Maybe it contains a lot of sub which I don't hear on my 10" speakers... Replace the kick drum sample please to something slammin hard to match the rest of this industrial dnb mayhem Big Grin

And the ending is very abrupt, but I guess it's not finished Tongue

You're getting there man Big Grin Bigup

i can't get the kick in ...
the bass sound is too loud and the kick just doesn't get heard Frown

for the hihats : used ya samples -... just great ... 3layers ...

i cleaned it a bit (there was too much mayhem in the rhythm ... it's now getting better Big Grin
but i still got problems with the kick Frown
(cleaned it a bit too)

edit : i think i get it .. i just gotta use a kick that doesn't have any low-end .. just a high end ... basically if i take a snare and pitch it down Big Grin

__
oooooo yeeeeeeeeeah.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by ZARk: 26-01-2003 16:40.

25-01-2003 19:55 Homepage of ZARk
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

well, i'm just being honest, i don't really like your style ...
it's too ..? chopped up, cheapy tune ...?
but i can respect the drumwork there Shocked

__
It's a spiritual thing !

26-01-2003 11:38
ZARk ZARk is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by -J-
well, i'm just being honest, i don't really like your style ...
it's too ..? chopped up, cheapy tune ...?
but i can respect the drumwork there Shocked

no offence taken, you have to be honest Big Grin

what do you mean by chopped up and cheapy ?

__
oooooo yeeeeeeeeeah.
26-01-2003 16:34 Homepage of ZARk
ZARk ZARk is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

aha

worked on the beats and the sound ....

www.electrobel.com/60_7_dnb_only.mp3
4.3mb

you can actually feel the kick really nicely now Big Grin
even on "normal" speakers, though they never sature on a good system (got both hooked on my amp now Big Grin )
i'm proud Big Grin

i'm finally understanding the basics i think .....
i'll concentrate on doing a more interesting track next time Big Grin

__
oooooo yeeeeeeeeeah.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by ZARk: 26-01-2003 18:23.

26-01-2003 18:21 Homepage of ZARk
ZePain ZePain is a male
B-Yayo

images/avatars/avatar-20.jpg

Registration Date: 19-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

keep up the good work
Cool

__
-Shape The Future-

myspace.com/universoulwithaneye
26-01-2003 18:31
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by ZARk
i can't get the kick in ...
the bass sound is too loud and the kick just doesn't get heard Frown

(...)

i think i get it .. i just gotta use a kick that doesn't have any low-end .. just a high end ... basically if i take a snare and pitch it down Big Grin

You got the idea Big Grin

Basically what I think that has happened is the following:
You got two sounds (kick and bass) that share the same frequency spectrum, and they 'block' eachother. This is a very common mix problem, it often happens when I'm mixing a live band or live recording that two instruments share the same frequency spectrum (example: vocals and guitars or keyboards) and it becomes hard to understand the vocals because the instruments get in the way.

This is easily solved by careful EQing both sounds: find the frequency that is most important in the kick and the bass by boosting the EQ way up, chosing a narrow bandwidth (= high Q factor) and sweeping the frequency until you find the one that has the main 'character' of the sound (for a kick drum the 'snap' is around 3-5 kHz and the 'thump' at around 60-100 Hz - for an electric bass you have it around 300-600 Hz, for synth basses this depends on the type of sound)

What to do: don't boost this frequency in the instrument, but cut it out in the other one. So if you find that the bass sounds great at e.g. 400 Hz, change the EQ in the kick so that it cuts out 400 Hz to make room for the bass and the other way round.

In the beginning this takes a lot of time and experimenting to get it right, but when you gain experience you can do it very quickly, in a matter of seconds Big Grin Boost, sweep, look at the frequency, cut the other, done Big Grin

BTW this is *much* easier to do on an analog EQ, so bad luck for the computer-only producers Tongue

quote:
for the hihats : used ya samples -... just great ... 3layers ...

Oh I didn't notice Bigup
Didn't recognize them, you did a great job in processing them Big Grin

Did you like the trick of the velocity layers?? You can use that on all kinds of sounds ofcourse!!

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
26-01-2003 20:15 Homepage of thechronic
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

New version:

Good work on the kick!!! It's definitely audible now, really thumping Big Grin
Maybe the pitch of the kick is a bit too high, it seems to be out of tune with the rest of the track (soundwise it's ok!) don't know, just a thought...

The song is more finished now, but it lacks variation. In the middle you should have something that differs entirely from the synth chords, and then you can go back to it near the end of the song.

The drum programming is a killer Shocked love it Listen

Also the dark haunting atmosphere is really my style Devil

This is actually a style in dnb, I've heard more of this kind of dark heavily programmed intelligent dnb-style tracks, but can't think of no names... Roll Eyes

You've progressed greatly since your first tryouts, I expect some excellent stuff from you in the future Bigup

__
26-01-2003 20:31 Homepage of thechronic
ZARk ZARk is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
New version:

Good work on the kick!!! It's definitely audible now, really thumping Big Grin
Maybe the pitch of the kick is a bit too high, it seems to be out of tune with the rest of the track (soundwise it's ok!) don't know, just a thought...

The song is more finished now, but it lacks variation. In the middle you should have something that differs entirely from the synth chords, and then you can go back to it near the end of the song.

The drum programming is a killer Shocked love it Listen

Also the dark haunting atmosphere is really my style Devil

This is actually a style in dnb, I've heard more of this kind of dark heavily programmed intelligent dnb-style tracks, but can't think of no names... Roll Eyes

You've progressed greatly since your first tryouts, I expect some excellent stuff from you in the future Bigup

thnx a lot m8 Big Grin

i unfortunately am using mostly reason for this track, (though i use cubase for sequencing) .. 'cos my synth are just not dnb oriented ... Well actually, now with my TX81Z hooked on my FilterFactory i could make some heavy bass sounds ... just need to keep on practising my FM synth Big Grin
really tough ...

Thanks for the EQ-uing tutorial .. i actually figured it out myself. But it's always nice to see someone who really cares. This forum is very important imho.
never would i have had this kinda help on breakz.
i'll see what i can do with the variations. Wink

__
oooooo yeeeeeeeeeah.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ZARk: 26-01-2003 20:56.

26-01-2003 20:55 Homepage of ZARk
ZARk ZARk is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:

well my idea : "What's the point of doing something that everyone is doing" Big Grin
i wanna make the music move .. most of the tracks i hear being released just bore me with a lack of originality.

__
oooooo yeeeeeeeeeah.
26-01-2003 20:58 Homepage of ZARk
ZARk ZARk is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

mmh, idea for the variation ...
go back to the melody from the beginning ?
so it makes "sense" ?
i'll see what it sounds like .... guess i'll EQ the strings to boost up low frequency ....

__
oooooo yeeeeeeeeeah.
26-01-2003 22:10 Homepage of ZARk
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

No I mean introduce a completely new sound in the middle and stop the strings at that point. In the final part of the song you can then go back to the strings.

__
26-01-2003 22:11 Homepage of thechronic
ZARk ZARk is a male
Cool Producer

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
No I mean introduce a completely new sound in the middle and stop the strings at that point. In the final part of the song you can then go back to the strings.

i think u not understood me Big Grin

remember the intro ... with the slow beat (which is exactly half the rhythm of the main part) .. with that small melody played by a Wurlitzer ....

well around half the track, cut the bassline and the heavy beat, put in a softer one (like i actually do) and put the strings + melody. Then massive buildup and bassline again.

__
oooooo yeeeeeeeeeah.
26-01-2003 22:16 Homepage of ZARk
ZePain ZePain is a male
B-Yayo

images/avatars/avatar-20.jpg

Registration Date: 19-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
quote:

well my idea : "What's the point of doing something that everyone is doing" Big Grin
i wanna make the music move .. most of the tracks i hear being released just bore me with a lack of originality.

Keep your own style that's one of the most important things
Later people will say hey it's got a little zark style you know Cool

__
-Shape The Future-

myspace.com/universoulwithaneye
26-01-2003 22:29
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Tunes » Trying to make dnb ...Getting there ?