drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Monitor placement
Go to the bottom of this page Monitor placement
Author

Registration Date: 18-12-2005

hi,

I make electronic music on my computer with Reason. Right now, i got 2 stereo boxes placed in front of me in the corner of the room about 1,5meters away from where i sit (on the same height as my head). Now, especially the sound of the beat sounds differently if i move around my room, especially when i walk away from the boxes, the kick drum doesn't sound that sharpe anymore as is the case when i stand right in front of the boxes.
So i was wondering, is there an ideal placement of the boxes in such a way that what you hear is the right sound of the kick drum?
10-10-2007 14:44
Rudeone
love & light

images/avatars/avatar-2481.jpg

Registration Date: 15-10-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

if you dont have accurate monitor speakers i wouldnt mind too much about that.

you cant hear certain frequencies on hifi speakers. low frequencies (kick,sub) sound different, depending on where you are in your room. so when mixing down your bass e.g. walk around and see what sounds best

proper mixin is nearly impossible without decent monitors

__
MySpace

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Rudeone: 10-10-2007 16:59.

10-10-2007 16:59 Homepage of Rudeone
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

The speakers have to be in a trangle with sides with equal length, so the distance of the speakers (between eachother) has to be equal to the distance of each speaker to your head. I think you are not doing to bad if the distance between speakers is also about 1,5meter.

When you move away from the position I discribed above you will not get all frequencies in the same levels anymore. Bass travels everywhere and can even be heard when you lay down in a corner of the room. The higher frequencies travel in a clear direction and won't be so present when you're on the floor in the corner. This is a normal phenomenon.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
10-10-2007 18:59 Homepage of BattleDrone
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/...rplacement.html

Exact distances are critical! Always use a tape measure, half an inch can make all the difference in the world.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

10-10-2007 19:17 Homepage of Halph-Price
BooGie

awesome, thanks for all the advice!
10-10-2007 19:52
collective collective is a male
TeamSleaze.com

Registration Date: 28-11-2006

yes women can tell the diffrence to

__
did you know that some men go out with men not as freinds!!! huummm thats a bit odd aint it!!!!!!
10-10-2007 20:57 Homepage of collective
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

"the corner of the room" is already a very bad place to put them, they should be at least 50 cm away from the back wall and at equal distances from the side walls.

The distance between the speakers should be the same as the distance between you and the speakers.

BTW if the sound changes drastically when you move across the room this is because you have poor room acoustics (ie standing waves), the solution would not be to move the speakers but rather start thinking of buying a decent sledgehammer.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
10-10-2007 21:29 Homepage of thechronic
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
"the corner of the room" is already a very bad place to put them, they should be at least 50 cm away from the back wall and at equal distances from the side walls.

If I do that there's no room left for me to sit in this place Big Grin
The "noiseroom" so like 4 times a phonebooth.
I need more money so I can afford a bigger place Crying

__
10-10-2007 22:18 Homepage of BattleDrone
BooGie

i was thinking of replacing the computer in a bigger room cause the room i'm in now is 7x3m, i think that's causing a lot of resonance and the "bass" sound when i'm standing far away from the speakers.
10-10-2007 22:56
BooGie

So i bought the yamaha hs50m and the m-audio 2496 sound card. But...
i got a question: i installed the m-audio audiophile 2496 soundcard properly. Now i'm using Reason for producing some music and i know the asio drivers are the best for producing so i selected them in Reason. Now when i do this i get bleeps and clicks when playing songs with a lot of sequencer tracks in them. Setting the buffer size to 2048 samples (this is the maximum apparently) shows a small improvement but i still hear some cracks. The output latency seems to be fixed (to 47ms) and there's also a setting called latency compensation which does nothing so it seems. I don't have these cracks and bleeps when using the dx or MME drivers but i heard these weren't as pro as the asio drivers. Any suggestions?
Thanks
23-10-2007 22:17
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

I have the exact same setup, but with FL, the latency is far 0, but the problems you are having don't occur here. Buffer length is set to 6448 (146 ms) which is less than 50% of the maximum you can set.

__
23-10-2007 22:44 Homepage of BattleDrone
BooGie

so you also have the same audio card? Isn't the DMA buffer size-latency limited to 2048ms samples? (control panel - hardware settings)
23-10-2007 23:03
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Hardware » Monitor placement