drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Using Reverb
Go to the bottom of this page Using Reverb
Author
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

What's the best use of it and what's teh best verb you found?

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

23-05-2007 12:02 Homepage of Halph-Price
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

If used subtle reverb can glue separate elements together, add tail to samples that are a bit cut off, add fullness to e.g. hihats,... the biggest pitfall is a reverb overdose I guess. I know what I'm talking about unfortunately.

When used correct you don't notice reverb as is, you'll only notice that something is missing when you remove it.
Ofcourse there are situations where you want the reverb to be heard, on some fat timstretched vocal, some synthstab, etc....

I like the Kjaerhus reverb (free) and the reverb2 in FL studio is ok too.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
23-05-2007 12:58 Homepage of BattleDrone
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

i like to have two reverbs on sends when i making tunes.

1. Long tailed revrb with the top end slightly rolled off and the bottom eq'd out a bit.

This helps glue together pads etc and adds to the atmos. and can also make things sit in the background nicer.

2. A shorter brighter one

but i use them sparingly.

I prefer to use delay as i can also create space but not cloud the mix as much as reverb

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

23-05-2007 14:31 Homepage of D2o
muphasta muphasta is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1490.jpg

Registration Date: 29-06-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
8 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.88

ahaa Reverb thats my domain. Its hard to say how reverb should sound, cause of the different interpretations of it, long, short, slapback, room, hall,...,... It all depents on the global picture. for example: in dub or other experimental stuff, you cann use lots of reverb, but for other more tight stuff you gotta be very carefull in wich reverb and amount. Play with the mix-feedback-size-predelay-damp-... knobs to fit your reverb into the global picture. Unless you use as a chapter-end or intro or just before the drop as a fill.
from there you can also play with additional stuff like EQ, filter,... as variations. keep in mind that reverb lowers your volume and impact in most of the standard presets in vst,AU,... thats why you have to play with the different knobs on it, and also, one reverb aint the other (freeverb isnt a platinumverb)
making it sound in the global picture is the most important.
My favs: platinum verb, alti-verb, LX-310 or something, ...
cheers

__
muphasta none dnb
www.myspace.com/muphsugar
reggeadubwise.com
Roots-reggea-project: muphsteppa
muphsteppa@reggeadubwise
23-05-2007 18:28
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

I love when I add space to one-shot samples by putting an intense reverb that lasts for very short time, less than half a second usually. That really makes the e.g. snare live.

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
24-05-2007 03:09 Homepage of Muad'Dib
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

I stopped using most reverb, except on atmos. I like an extremely dry sound Smile

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

24-05-2007 07:33 Homepage of Surya
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

yes. yes. your sweet delcious reverb secrets.

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

24-05-2007 10:10 Homepage of Halph-Price
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Want some secrets?? Big Grin

I have noticed that a lot of beginning producers treat reverb like any other plugin and just slap loads of them on inserts. While this is not a 'bad' way of doing it, you get the most natural reverbs by putting them in an aux, and this saves you on CPU / processing power too.

In practice you should not often have need for more than 2 reverbs in a mixdown. Typically you would use 1 short reverb (room or ER type) for percussive and overall elements and 1 longer reverb (hall or plate) for leads, pads and anything else that benefits from a long reverb.

Here are the two major ways of using reverb in a mix:
  • using aux sends:
    Setting up:
    - Put the reverb on a stereo aux channel.
    - Set the dry/wet mix to 100% wet.
    - Pan the outputs of the reverb hard left and hard right into the main mix or effects group.
    - Place your sounds in the reverb field by adjusting the volume and panning of the aux sends on every channel.

Advantages:
    - This sounds the most natural and convincing, since it emulates real world reverb.
    - You can use the same reverb effect on a bunch of channels (eg the entire drum kit) - this will create a very natural and even sounding reverb.
    - Saves on CPU power / reverb units. You can use one single reverb effect on as many channels as you like.
    - The reverb can easily be tailored to your needs, just slap on EQ, compression, chorus, a gate or whatever else that takes your fancy on the aux channel.
    - Can be fed back into itself (using the aux, this function is called 'spin') for really lush and long reverbs.
    - Can be used to put stereo reverb on a mono channel (as opposed to the insert technique below)

Disadvantages:
    - The reverb is present in the full stereo spectrum, if you put a sound hard right, some reflections will still be heard at the left. This is by design, since this is how reverb works naturally, but can be unwanted in some cases.
    - uses up a stereo channel and an aux send
    - depending on the mixer you use it might not be possible to change the placement of the aux send in the signal path (eg pre/post-fader, pre/post-EQ, pre/post-insert etc)
    - if you make changes to the placement or volume of the dry element, the aux send needs to be changed too (depends on the mixer architecture)

• inserted in the channel:
    Setting up:
    - insert the reverb into the channel that is in need of reverberation (using one of the insert points)
    - adjust the amount of reverb by using the wet/dry mix

Advantages:
    - the reverb can be precisely tailored for one specific element
    - it can be exactly placed in the stereo field, together with the dry element. Also the stereo width can be controlled easily.
    - the reverb 'sticks' to the element, so it follows all changes in panning and volume automatically.

Disadvantages:
    - turning up the amount of reverb reduces the level of the dry element in the mix
    - wastes CPU power by dedicating a full plugin to one channel
    - limited possibilities to process the reverb since this will affect the dry signal too
    - does not work well on mono channels
    - the position in the insert chain is of great importance. Some insert juggling is inevitable.

You can also do advanced tricks, like routing the reverb send to a separate channel and applying EQ and effects on it before sending it into the reverb.

A nice trick to play with: you can change the apparent 'distance' of an element by varying the predelay of the reverb. Elements that are closer have longer predelays, elements that are far away have a short (or zero) predelay.

The predelay and early reflections are very important, if not set correctly they can cause the mix to sound muddy and undefined.

For a 'fading into the distance' effect:
- either use a pre-fader aux send into the reverb, and lower the volume of the element, while retaining the volume of the aux return
- or insert the reverb into the channel of the element you want to fade, and gradually increase the dry/wet mix

took me nearly 2 hours to write this up Shocked you better read it lol Gangsta

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
24-05-2007 11:52 Homepage of thechronic
Greyone Greyone is a male
Master Producer

images/avatars/avatar-3078.jpg

Registration Date: 01-04-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
20 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.10

reverb on synths or atmos

i also do some bass in reverb (small room , minimal difusion , maximum reverb , minimal bass true the lowcutfilter) using reeverb2 in fruityloops ----> if you want an example of the sound Pleased check out Limewax:

Dylan & B-Key - Slave To Life (Limewax RMDoped

Limewax Happy
24-05-2007 22:58
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

quote:
A nice trick to play with: you can change the apparent 'distance' of an element by varying the predelay of the reverb. Elements that are closer have longer predelays, elements that are far away have a short (or zero) predelay.

-isnt this the other way around? i thought (i havnt got one in front of me to play with) that a longer predelay would make it seem further away... ?

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
25-05-2007 00:53
D2o D2o is a male
Ghost

images/avatars/avatar-1834.gif

Registration Date: 30-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
19 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.74

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic

took me nearly 2 hours to write this up Shocked you better read it lol Gangsta

2 HOURS!! Shocked

could of done it in 10 mins Tongue

nah only kidding. Good stuff chron!

__
WWW.SOUNDCLOUD.COM/VOLATILE-PSYCLE

25-05-2007 00:54 Homepage of D2o
Paracyte Paracyte is a male
Crazy Bouncin Sinusoid

images/avatars/avatar-2331.jpg

Registration Date: 07-12-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by BattleDrone
If used subtle reverb can glue separate elements together, add tail to samples that are a bit cut off, add fullness to e.g. hihats,... the biggest pitfall is a reverb overdose I guess. I know what I'm talking about unfortunately.

When used correct you don't notice reverb as is, you'll only notice that something is missing when you remove it.
Ofcourse there are situations where you want the reverb to be heard, on some fat timstretched vocal, some synthstab, etc....

I like the Kjaerhus reverb (free) and the reverb2 in FL studio is ok too.

Kjaerhus master pack is fkin wicked it is simply graphically but plugins are such a tank,good sound ,especially a compresor kicks ass.

__
My Soundcloud
25-05-2007 02:05
Seven Gun Seven Gun is a male
dotbee 4eva

images/avatars/avatar-2384.jpg

Registration Date: 16-01-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.75

gotta love the info given on this site!
Drummer

__
"When you lose, dont lose the lesson"
25-05-2007 04:44
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
quote:

-isnt this the other way around? i thought (i havnt got one in front of me to play with) that a longer predelay would make it seem further away... ?

well, no because with a short predelay your sound mixes with the reverbed sound so it gets a little muffled, with longer predelay the dry sound slaps you in the face, then the reverbed comes a little later

cheers for the nice tips chron. Cool

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
25-05-2007 07:52 Homepage of cynik
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

quote:
Originally posted by Seven Gun
gotta love the info given on this site!
Drummer

It's contagious Big Grin

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
25-05-2007 12:18 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Using Reverb