drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Logic Audio » Is Apple overhauling Logic to be a Protools killer?
Go to the bottom of this page Is Apple overhauling Logic to be a Protools killer?
Author
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

Is Apple overhauling Logic to be a ProTools killer?

Original posted on ArsTechnica

It might not seem like it, but it's been almost five years since Apple acquired the German company Emagic and made their Logic "music creation" software part of their growing line of professional applications. Two short years after the acquisition in January of 2004, Apple showed off a new application called GarageBand aimed at the consumer market and packaged it with their iLife software, in essence creating a "lite" version of the application they had bought two years earlier.

In September 2004 Apple announced Logic Pro 7 and Logic Express 7, mirroring their lineup of iMovie, Final Cut Express, and Final Cut Pro, and in the process actually making the Logic product line less confusing (previously it was Logic Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Big Boxes; it was quite confusing to me anyway.)

It was after this that Apple began updating GarageBand yearly. In January of 2005, just one year after releasing GarageBand 1, a second iteration was announced as a part of iLife '05. Continuing the trend, in January of 2006 Apple announced iLife '06 which ushered in a new version of GarageBand: GarageBand 3. There has been no love for Logic, however, which has stood dormant for nearly two and half years. The natives began to wonder.

Today we received some news on the Logic front, but it wasn't from Apple and it wasn't really news per se, it was more of a rumor from a former Emagic employee, oh and it was in French. Luckily for us Create Digital Music is in the know and pointed us to the original post on Gear Slutz (erm.) which, in turn, pointed us to the original post on the French blog.

Basically the rumor is this: There will be no Logic 8. The successor to Logic 7 will have a new name. The unnamed application will be 10.5 only and will work with a new line of touch sensitive Apple displays. Also, it will be an OMG PROTOOLS KILLER!@!!

As always, this is a rumor so it should be taken with a grain of salt. It makes some sense, as it's been a while since a Logic update, and the monitor part could be plausible due to the lack of a refresh on that line as well. It also fits into a discussion we had with Larry Yaeger a few years back about Apple incorporating gestures into applications like Motion. If you're looking for more reasons find faith in this rumor you can read this post where the author discusses a few more angles.

Although I have my doubts that Apple, or anyone else could make a "ProTools" killer—Digidesign could market crap on a stick, market it as ProTools, and still have it be the industry standard for audio production—these rumors are creating enough of a buzz to make some people who use the software contemplate what Apple has in store.

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
26-04-2007 12:47 Homepage of BattleDrone
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

Curious about that Big Grin

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
26-04-2007 13:28 Homepage of thechronic
tetsuo tetsuo is a male
Guiness factory

Registration Date: 26-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

i can translate from french if you want to clarify that post. let me know, no prob.

__
Yesterday' s futur is today!! Doped
26-04-2007 15:35
Halph-Price Halph-Price is a male
Zombie Algorithm

images/avatars/avatar-2869.gif

Registration Date: 22-12-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
36 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.67

yea that's great but Venue is kinda what ProTOols is doing. the analog/digital hybrid mixer for live shows that can use protools for recall of entire preformances.

logic is studio only. if they go into live sound, yea i'd say protools is on the run. but then there's also logic is mac only....

so pros and con. protools was smrt to move away from sole studio production. the sound recording of pro tools, for now is stable. something that logic doesn't have even a say in. they'd have to show that was improved for anyone to chagne over there recording session.

also the digi002 being a really cheap and stable interface is a big advantage.

who knows what the futur holds. personally i find logic good for composing only. and it's got the market for that. most of the movie score composers use it. harry gregson-william's choice of tools. Big Grin

__
Latest Songs of filth and taboo depravity
SpankMyFilth on SoundCloud
She's got a nasty mouth...
FREE DOWNLOADS

26-04-2007 16:17 Homepage of Halph-Price
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

The other day I talked to a guy who works in an Apple store and soon the subject changed to Logic. He told me that they sell about 50% of the high end machines to people involved in multimmedia. About half of them seems to buy Logic. I find the software not at all cheap. And to buy a Mac just for that would be really too much (you'd have to spend over €3000 to have some basic equipement). So the fact that you can see some people sell their PC and move to Apple for this program sure must mean it is worth it.

But I do agree on the fact that the missing hardware means they will never to be able to get to number 1. A solution that combines both hardware and software seems to be the future in audio, just look at Access with their Virus products for example. It also would put an end to piracy as the software is useless without the hardware.

__
26-04-2007 20:10 Homepage of BattleDrone
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

you get a mac you either use logic or protools. there's not a big variety like PC. this is why it's so popular. i mean mac owns logic, so it works well for th eplatform, but it still does crash. a lot. there is a reason why mac doesn't brag about recording and making music as much as they do movies.

Wink

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

26-04-2007 20:56 Homepage of Halph-Price
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I think Logic in its current incarnation is too difficult to use for professional use. That's the big advantage of Protools, you can get everything done very fast. The clients are not amused if they watch you struggling with a piece of software while their expensive studio time is ticking away.

And also most studios invested 25000+ euros in their Protools hardware, they're not going to throw that away. Hmmm but since Logic supports the Protools hardware it would make the transition very easy. If the new Logic would be indeed much better, you could just buy it and continue using the Protools hardware.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
27-04-2007 05:05 Homepage of thechronic
Zombie Algorithm

Helpfulness rating: 

YEA, LOGIC IS JUST A PROGRAM, THERE HARDWARE IS A COMPUTER, PROTOOLS IS A PROGRAM THRE HARDWARE IS RECORDING GEAR, STUDIO AND LIVE.

sorry for capslock on LOL.

__
FREE DOWNLOADS

27-04-2007 05:38 Homepage of Halph-Price
hardplnsdrftr hardplnsdrftr is a male
Streetcleaner

Registration Date: 07-03-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by Halph-Price
you get a mac you either use logic or protools. there's not a big variety like PC. this is why it's so popular. i mean mac owns logic, so it works well for th eplatform, but it still does crash. a lot. there is a reason why mac doesn't brag about recording and making music as much as they do movies.

Wink

Sorry, but thats BS. Plenty of audio apps run on a mac. I run Cubase on my Mac (G4) and it runs great. Ableton Live, Reason, and Renoise also work great on a Mac. Yeah, there iare more options for a PC, but it isnt like Logic is the ONLY app that works on a Mac, which I so often hear peeps talk like it is the only thing you can use on a mac. Don't mean to turn this into a Mac vs PC debate, but anyone who has used both PCs and Macs extensively will choose a Mac every time. Big Grin

__
"Trouble is the common denominator of living. It is the great equalizer."
Søren Kierkegaard

http://www.myspace.com/hardplainsdrifter
27-04-2007 19:52 Homepage of hardplnsdrftr
admin

Helpfulness rating: 

I had to chose between a PC or Mac recently for a laptop and after much thinking I went for a PC. The Macs are just too expensive Frown

A top of the line mac laptop costs 2300 euro ex VAT. I got an equally specced PC laptop with a better graphics card for 1400 euro ex VAT. Vista does suck serious ass compared to OSX, but it's not worth a difference of 900 euro imo.

__
27-04-2007 20:12 Homepage of thechronic
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Registration Date: 15-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.25

protools is and stays the only interface that (through the interfaces and ad converters) offers full support and compatibility with analog mixing tables, which is still the major issue when talking about professional recording

offcourse you can get 8 presonus interfaces or motu interfaces or rme-firefaces and use cubase/logic together with the analog mixing desk, but sound quality in the digidesign systems stays boss man, no doubt about it. in every pro studio, you will see the main machine running protools.

good luck to apple in creating a protools killer, they won't get there

__
It's a spiritual thing !

10-09-2007 17:02
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by -J-
protools is and stays the only interface that (through the interfaces and ad converters) offers full support and compatibility with analog mixing tables, which is still the major issue when talking about professional recording

offcourse you can get 8 presonus interfaces or motu interfaces or rme-firefaces and use cubase/logic together with the analog mixing desk, but sound quality in the digidesign systems stays boss man, no doubt about it. in every pro studio, you will see the main machine running protools.

good luck to apple in creating a protools killer, they won't get there

they released Logic 8

sadly enough, i was wrong, Apogee is collaborating with apple with their symphony interfaces and A/D & D/A converters

and the new logic 8 looks killer ...

__
It's a spiritual thing !

14-09-2007 11:07
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

Helpfulness rating: 

That doesn't have to be a bad thing. It's always a good thing to have multiple players on the market. Prices are lower, for starters. Technological progress will speed up,...

__
14-09-2007 13:08 Homepage of BattleDrone
-J- -J- is a male
Big Bad Battyman

Helpfulness rating: 

i certainly hope that the guys at digidesign are scared, they should be

__
It's a spiritual thing !

16-09-2007 00:14
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Logic Audio » Is Apple overhauling Logic to be a Protools killer?