drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » modifying loops
Go to the bottom of this page modifying loops
Author
Player

Registration Date: 06-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

ok, ive finally learned how to cut up breaks and use them in my tunes, before when i asked how to use loops to make beats people just said cut em up.... I never really got it till now. Ive been rexing up loops then sticking the rex file in my sampler (exs24-logic) and whahey, i am now free to replace the hits and still get the swing of the loop!

umm yeah so anyways, im really chuffed about this but how do you go about modifying the break so that you can keep the groove of the loops but still kinda make it your own? originally I wanted to go through and just change every hit to another sample of my own, but then its kinda hard to tell which hits are the same and which are not, and if I change them around too much it may loose that feel that the loop had. Also ive noticed there tend to be a couple of different sounding kicks in the loops, so this would mean if i were to replace them id have to find other kciksthat work together... forgive me if im wrong but in most tunes it is just one kick (sound)

so, modifying loops to suit your tast but still keeping a nice groove... any help?

thanks a lot.

__
www.myspace.com/digitalcause
www.myspace.com/mysterious1000
08-02-2007 01:49
Rudeone
love & light

images/avatars/avatar-2481.jpg

Registration Date: 15-10-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

i do it something like this.

i built a basic dnb pattern first. nice big kick/snare and a full high hat line. the right choice of samples is pretty important. i cut up a drumloop and layer it in the same pattern as the basic loop. high pass the drumlayer at about 500hz cuz i only want the higher frequencies, to get a fuller sound. the right velocity settings are very important, also the adsr envelope for each drumhit!
i often use compression on the high freqs of my drums, most of the time on the single drumlayers itsself.
some more layering with oneshot lines/ghosts or some more drumloops will give it more sound but dont overdoze it.

eq, adsr envelope, and velocity is the key for me Wink

__
MySpace
08-02-2007 02:39 Homepage of Rudeone
Digital Cause Digital Cause is a male
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

cool.it sounds to me from what your saying though that your essentially making your own groove, and just utilising other breaks for pure power rather than groove.... im interested in using loops to give a groove. whenver i make my own loops theyre pretty repetitive and boring...though fine for a short bit.

When ive got a loop in MIDI i also have trouble identifying which hits are the same, which makes it harder to layer, because you wanna put roughly the same of your own samples over the other ones...

any other helP?

__
09-02-2007 00:41
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

oh by the way anyone got any good links to download loops?

__
09-02-2007 00:56
cynik cynik is a male
Cp6uja

Registration Date: 15-03-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
49 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.86

you never cease to amaze me

there rudeone spills his guts how exactly does his breaks and you ask for more help. do you need someone to sit at the sequencer for you. seriously get your shit together and start thinking, or if you are think harder. it's not some ungraspable secret knowledge, its all about practice

__
https://soundcloud.com/tsai-vidro-voves
09-02-2007 01:14 Homepage of cynik
Surora23 Surora23 is a male
Agressive Melodic Disorder

images/avatars/avatar-1870.jpg

Registration Date: 05-07-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.08

quote:
Originally posted by Digital Cause
ok, ive finally learned how to cut up breaks and use them in my tunes, before when i asked how to use loops to make beats people just said cut em up.... I never really got it till now. Ive been rexing up loops then sticking the rex file in my sampler (exs24-logic) and whahey, i am now free to replace the hits and still get the swing of the loop!

umm yeah so anyways, im really chuffed about this but how do you go about modifying the break so that you can keep the groove of the loops but still kinda make it your own? originally I wanted to go through and just change every hit to another sample of my own, but then its kinda hard to tell which hits are the same and which are not, and if I change them around too much it may loose that feel that the loop had. Also ive noticed there tend to be a couple of different sounding kicks in the loops, so this would mean if i were to replace them id have to find other kciksthat work together... forgive me if im wrong but in most tunes it is just one kick (sound)

so, modifying loops to suit your tast but still keeping a nice groove... any help?

thanks a lot.

take liek
2 loops you like
throw em in a slicer or chop em and re sequence how you wish

then ad an aditional 3-4 kicsk that are nice and solid, 3-4 snares that are nice and solid and a couple nice hats

sequence the kicsk and snares over top of eachother...

the hats you can kinda who what yo want with..

then eq, compress, render, and limit...

__
Rinse it OUT!!!! Rinse

09-02-2007 06:20
Rudeone
love & light

images/avatars/avatar-2481.jpg

Registration Date: 15-10-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
4 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.00

quote:
cool.it sounds to me from what your saying though that your essentially making your own groove, and just utilising other breaks for pure power rather than groove.... im interested in using loops to give a groove. whenver i make my own loops theyre pretty repetitive and boring...though fine for a short bit.

When ive got a loop in MIDI i also have trouble identifying which hits are the same, which makes it harder to layer, because you wanna put roughly the same of your own samples over the other ones...

any other helP?

wheres the problem? you should know how you want it to sound. just arrange your hits like that.

__
MySpace
09-02-2007 06:34 Homepage of Rudeone
arecil

images/avatars/avatar-2019.jpg

Registration Date: 08-02-2007

quote:

nah,. no idea where to download loops..
Just search it in the google.

Uhm by the way.. When played my track list and a minute will past the screensaver of my PC will appear ( images of candy crib girls slideshow)
Does it affects the quality of sounds I listened to?

__

CandyCrib is the home of UK's top Glamour models. See them live their lives right here.

www.candycrib.com
09-02-2007 08:53
32skins 32skins is a male
Cool Producer

Registration Date: 12-06-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:

or sample them from old records

__

09-02-2007 14:08 Homepage of 32skins
Philthy McNasty Philthy McNasty is a male
Florida DnB Masta!

images/avatars/avatar-2723.jpg

Registration Date: 23-07-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
24 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 6.00

I usually take whatever break it is, edit the shit out of it to get my own "groove" as you would put it. Then I layer the exact break unedited underneath it, and make the kicks and snares like ghost snares. I cut the underlayin break of at 10 and 80. Then I just listen over and over for 8 bars til I hear the hits and kicks that I should add to get the proper feel. Then bam u have ur own original break. And then its a matter of compressing and messing with the attack and release. After all that shit, master it to the best of ur ability and render to wav. Just make sure u keep track off what u are breal using in your track, and name it accordingly. I wouldnt advice using the 5 or more samples used to make up ur break into the mixdowns. Sometimes things get fucked up that ways. Dont know what else u might want to know. After what all of us have said it covers a couple of ways to do it, and then after that its just practicing

__
http://www.myspace.com/philthydubbish
09-02-2007 18:31 Homepage of Philthy McNasty
demolitionkid demolitionkid is a male
where's demo?

images/avatars/avatar-2248.jpg

Registration Date: 08-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

quote:
Originally posted by cynik
you never cease to amaze me

there rudeone spills his guts how exactly does his breaks and you ask for more help. do you need someone to sit at the sequencer for you. seriously get your shit together and start thinking, or if you are think harder. it's not some ungraspable secret knowledge, its all about practice

Crying ow.......... ROFL
10-02-2007 22:07 Homepage of demolitionkid
Player

Helpfulness rating: 

yeah ow.

thanks for the help guys... ive found that takin other loops and replacing all that loop with a few diff hi hats is pretty cool, like replacing all the kicks with a hat, snare with another, and the hi hats with shakers etc.... good stuff. bit of reverb and hi pass with an lfo can add interesting rythimic feel

__
12-02-2007 01:06
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » modifying loops