drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Wondering
Go to the bottom of this page Wondering
Author
Steppa

Registration Date: 31-10-2003

I was wondering, it seems u all make ur songs with computer programs, but when i go to DnB-parties, dj's always make there music with their turntables. How u create dnb with records??? Confused
13-11-2003 16:45
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

images/avatars/avatar-1127.gif

Registration Date: 04-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
44 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.27

Erm, they don't, they just play plates Smile
Generaly they don't make music on the spot. There are some posabilities with Final Scratch and stuff like that though.

__
"In dnb you should make people jump not swim"
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

13-11-2003 17:08 Homepage of Surya
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

You can integrate live stuff with DJing when you use programs like Ableton Live. Final Scratch is just an MP3 player that uses turntables as a controller.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
14-11-2003 11:46 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

quote:
Originally posted by thechronic
Final Scratch is just an MP3 player that uses turntables as a controller.

So if you play with samples... Tongue

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-11-2003 12:26 Homepage of Surya
Retroshift
Steppa

Registration Date: 31-10-2003

But if they just play records, why can't they play their songs out of their comp where they made them, is this just to look tough towards the audience to show some turntables?
14-11-2003 13:21
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

Final Scratch uses turntables to alter the pitch of the songs on their PC. So the turntables do have a use. The great thing about this is that the DJ doesn't have to cary all them plates with them, just a laptop is enuf.

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

14-11-2003 13:43 Homepage of Surya
Dave_Akuma Dave_Akuma is a male
Wicked Producer

images/avatars/avatar-1737.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
14 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.29

when you see a dj play live, they're playing songs from many different producers, not just their own songs...

__

27-01-2004 05:33
thechronic thechronic is a male
admin

images/avatars/avatar-2146.jpg

Registration Date: 01-11-2002

Helpfulness rating: 
38 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.68

quote:
Originally posted by Retroshift
But if they just play records, why can't they play their songs out of their comp where they made them, is this just to look tough towards the audience to show some turntables?

There is a difference between DJing and playing live. A DJ just spins records but doesn't make live music. Some DJ's have some real skills and can put records together in interesting ways, but it's still not live music, it's just mixing records.

A real live band makes music using instruments. You'll see a lot of synths and samplers on stage, a big mixing desk and people turning knobs, playing keyboards and looking very concentrated. Some bands have acoustic instruments too, like drums, bass guitar, percussion or something like that.
When you see this you can 95% be sure that they play live, and when you hear mistakes you can be 100% sure Big Grin

When you see somebody on stage with just a laptop and a mixing desk I've noticed that 80% of the time it's not really live. Most of the artists just play back a premade track on their laptop. They do some minor mixing on the desk but it's not much you can do when your entire structure is premade.

__
If you find spam on the site, please hit the button and select my name. I'll personally kick it to the murky depths of hell where it belongs! Devil
27-01-2004 12:00 Homepage of thechronic
Surya Surya is a male
The Robot

Helpfulness rating: 

That's what I would like to do: make all the patterns I need, and structure them on the spot... maybe with live drummer -> would be wickid imo!

__
- Pieter Frenssen 2004

27-01-2004 12:03 Homepage of Surya
illuminati
Cool Producer

images/avatars/avatar-191.jpg

Registration Date: 21-01-2004

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

well ok...to start most all EDM (electronic dance music) is made electronically...either with software or hardware...or a hybrid of both...like if you use a sequencing program to take 2 drum machines and a synth for example...to sync them together...the software is used in the same way it`s just that the actual sounds you`re working with are coming off the hardware into the computer....producers make the music and if they have a way to press a record out of the songs they can make records....most freelance producers have no way of making vinyl unless they have a very expensive vinyl cutter....producers signed to record labels are usually the one`s who have records....DJ`s are the one`s who take these records and mix them on turntables...by beatmatching the records together which is lining up even numbered measures of two records with almost the same tempo on the tables by adjusting the pitch on one to compensate the difference in tempo of the other....once the records are matched is where the mixing part comes in....and that...is in my opinion a lot easier than writing original tracks....hell you could take 10 people that all know how to spin and get all DNB records and have 20 records all playing at once....it wouldn`t sound good i`m sure but the beats would match.....everything in DNB is 4/4 time signature so it`s 4 beats= 1 bar....4 bars = 1 measure....ie 32 beats per measure and then start again....if you line two records up by throwing one into the other at the begining of a measure and catch the other one up and keep it in sync you`ve just beatmatched and now you`re getting IT YAY!!!
27-01-2004 17:31
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » Wondering