drumnbass.be forum

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » can't figure out the automation
Go to the bottom of this page can't figure out the automation
Author

Registration Date: 22-02-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

hi guys,

noob question agian prolly, but there's no stupid questions, only stupid people so can't blame me Big Grin

i've been spending nights and nights on self-teaching myself the ropes of fruity, and slowly getting there, yet the thing i can't seem to get a hold on is the automation..

i found some guidlines in here somewhere, but i don't understand the whole drawing thing in the event dialogue..

my question: if i want for example a low pass filter on my bassline in the first breakdown====> go to the mixer, select the bassline effects channel
===>select the filter effect
===> browse parameters
===> add events

and then i'm stuck, as in I just don't know what to do, or how to do it... Mad

any ideas/screenshots/tutorials/people from leuven who want to smoke a free spliff when teaching me/...

thanks for your replies

Michiel/Nitrous

__
22/07 off!ce session @ rumba Leuven
08/09 off!ce session @rumba Leuven
29/09 Silence @ Silo,Leuven b2b I-witness
30/09 Mektiburn @ ??? 2day festival raggajungle set!!!!
31/10 Excess vs off!ce @ musiccafé,Leuven
10/11 Off!ce 4 @waaiberg Leuven
28-04-2006 09:58 Homepage of off!ce
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib is a male
Andrejnalin

images/avatars/avatar-2169.jpg

Registration Date: 02-12-2003

Helpfulness rating: 
18 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Alrite, I shall explain you this as brief and concise as I can:

automation, used for automating events. If you want some of your effects (like delay, reverb, filter etc.) to work on separate parts in your tune instead in the whole tune, instead to tweak knobs by yourself everytime the tune is playing, you can automate them.

FL had 1 global automation pattern in the versions before 4. That meant that you could, kind of, save your automations within only 1 pattern, which was labeled as 'main automation' pattern. There all automation within the song were 'saved'.

Fruity, since version 4 introduced something new; now every pattern (yup, truly every) can hold automations. So, you can select your 146th pattern, and add automation of any type of knob, button or whatever to it.

Reverting to your case: you have that bassline. You want to apply low pass filter to it, but don't know how to achieve the filter to work only for the first part of the tune.
It is quite easy.

As you say, you already linked the bassline to the FX (mixer). Select it and add another effect: Fruity Free Filter (if you don't have it, on the effects selection list click [More...] and there select the checkbox of this plugin).

In the Fruity Free Filter you can see 4 knobs: Type, Freq, Q and Gain. The most important here for us are Type and Freq. Set the Type knob to [Low pass] - this is what you want to do, and is also set by default.

The freq knob is the limit where the filtering will apply, frequency dependant. This you will use for the filtering purposes. And this knob you will automate.

Now select an empty pattern in the playlist editor. This you will use as the 'automation holder' (the automations will be recorded in it). Rename it into something smart, such as 'automation 1' or whatever, so you can know which one was. Leave it selected. (Remember, if you select another pattern, the automations will be recorded in it. Automations are recorded in the currently selected pattern)

Go to the FX and bring out the Fruity Free Filter effect. (make sure nobody is watching so they don't laugh if you make mistakes Wink ).

Up there, there are 3 buttons: [Play] [Stop] and [Record]. Press [Record] (and this will record every change you make thus), make sure you are in song play mode and not in pattern play mode and then press play. Your tune will start playing, but the [Record] button will be red, which means that it will monitor for your changes and record them in the selected pattern.

Now tweak the frequency knob on the Fruity Free Filter effect when you think you need. Move it up and down. This will all be recorded IN THE PATTERN THAT IS SELECTED (which should be the 'automation 1' pattern or how you gave name to it). When you think you are finished with recording, press the [Record] button again (while the song is still playing) and then press [Stop]. This will save your recently made automations in the automation pattern.

Now you have successfully made automation of the Frequency knob in Fruity Free Filter effect in the 'automation 1' pattern. Play your tune and see how your masterpiece automation turns the FREQ knob automatically where you previously turned it while recording. Bigup Just remember where you put the automation pattern in the playlist, as the automation is recorded within it and if you put it on different sections of the tune, those sections will too be affected by this automation.

Now, about the drawing. Make sure that the automation pattern is still selected. Go to the Fruity Free Filter effect. Right click on the automated knob (in this case the FREQ knob) and select [Edit Events]. You can see a green line which points the values of the knob over the given time. You can actually see your movement presented on a coordinate system here.

Play the song where you automated it (where the automation pattern is in the playlist). Bring up the Filter effect. See the pointer as it points the time and see how the automated knob goes plus and minus as the green line goes up and down. There, you now have the idea of how the automation works.

You can use the [Edit events] window to more precisely tweak your automations (which you cannot do with your mouse knob tweaking, for example).

If you have more difficulties, just ask Bigup

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

http://affiliate.image-line.com/BADEBDG473

There is no such thing without its opposite
-Bene Gesserit
28-04-2006 14:50 Homepage of Muad'Dib
off!ce off!ce is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

Shocked Shocked Shocked
T
H
A
N
K
S

gonna check this immediatly after work!!!!fo real thanks dude...

__
28-04-2006 15:00 Homepage of off!ce
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

np Bigup
Also check this thread: FL Studio Automation Tutorial

__
Thinking about becoming an Image-Line/FL Studio customer? Want a 10% reduction in price? Use this affiliate link:

-Bene Gesserit
28-04-2006 15:04 Homepage of Muad'Dib
off!ce off!ce is a male

Helpfulness rating: 

Allears ....working fine now!! Spliff

__
29-04-2006 04:17 Homepage of off!ce
sssonarrr sssonarrr is a male
Cool Steppa

images/avatars/avatar-1223.jpg

Registration Date: 16-05-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.00

thanks Muad'Dib, this is a great little tutorial you have written there.i thank you massively

__
Bigup laborecordings
07-05-2006 11:42 Homepage of sssonarrr
Andrejnalin

Helpfulness rating: 

I am glad I can help! Pleased

__

-Bene Gesserit
07-05-2006 12:35 Homepage of Muad'Dib
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Software » Fruity Loops - FL Studio » can't figure out the automation