drumnbass.be forum
Register Members List Team Members Search Frequently Asked Questions Go to the Main Page

drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » finding the key » Hello Guest [Login|Register]
Last Post | First Unread Post Print Page | Recommend to a Friend | Receive email on new post
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page finding the key
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
benji b
Steppa

Registration Date: 27-06-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.00

finding the key Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i kno a lot of u guys dnt sample but if u hav a sample wats the best way to go about finding wat keys its in? thnx
23-07-2010 23:05 Send an Email to benji b Search for Posts by benji b Add benji b to your Buddy List
KILLER_FAN KILLER_FAN is a male
sssomebody ssstop me!!!

images/avatars/avatar-3030.jpg

Registration Date: 23-01-2010

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.50

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

-a default piano patch
-midi keyboard (this is a must)
-loop points
-pen and paper
-lot of patience and time, especially if you can't recognize notes by ear and u have to go through all 12 notes
24-07-2010 02:56 Send an Email to KILLER_FAN Search for Posts by KILLER_FAN Add KILLER_FAN to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer

lots of money

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page

06-06-2006 06:66 Search for Posts by Google Add Google to your Buddy List Send a Private Message to Google
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by KILLER_FAN
-a default piano patch
-midi keyboard (this is a must)
-loop points
-pen and paper
-lot of patience and time, especially if you can't recognize notes by ear and u have to go through all 12 notes

Or, any patch.
Your computer keyboard set as a "piano"/keyboard.
--
Your memory
Some patience or maybe even good luck. Tongue

Then just start experimenting

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Puzzle: 24-07-2010 12:15.

24-07-2010 12:12 Send an Email to Puzzle Homepage of Puzzle Search for Posts by Puzzle Add Puzzle to your Buddy List
selig
Steppa

Registration Date: 10-07-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
3 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 9.67

I've found image-line's wave candy (in spectrum mode with the scale turned up full) to be very useful why trying to figure out what chords/notes are being played in songs before.

But, having said that, there really is no substitute for learning to use your ears.
24-07-2010 16:06 Send an Email to selig Search for Posts by selig Add selig to your Buddy List
ogenic ogenic is a male
old skool fools with new skool tools

images/avatars/avatar-2978.gif

Registration Date: 25-08-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
1 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

Image line Edison, click regions then click detect pitch regions.

__
OGENIC
Drummer

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by ogenic: 24-07-2010 18:09.

24-07-2010 17:51 Send an Email to ogenic Search for Posts by ogenic Add ogenic to your Buddy List
padders
Tourist

Registration Date: 01-03-2009

Rate Member

If you have logic go tat the pitch correction effect and it should show up the note. ALso i believe melodyne/autotune can also do this.
28-07-2010 16:17 Send an Email to padders Search for Posts by padders Add padders to your Buddy List
the moneyshot the moneyshot is a male
str8 outa nocash

images/avatars/avatar-2685.jpg

Registration Date: 31-12-2007

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 10.00

mixed in key, its a dj tool, but i run all my samples through it, gives you the key of individual samples. and if you put your whole sample library in there you can search for samples by key! very cool tool.

http://www.mixedinkey.com/Screenshots.aspx
23-08-2010 09:00 Send an Email to the moneyshot Search for Posts by the moneyshot Add the moneyshot to your Buddy List
Saikonutta
not helpful ^^

Registration Date: 09-11-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
6 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.83

RE: finding the key Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

1. llet the sample loop in your sequencer

2. iterate though the (chromatic) scale on your keyboard(a piano or something), mixed with the loop

3. 9/10 you'll find a match(es)

4. if not:
Set another scale OR tune the chromatic scale a bit (==cheating?? Smile )
goto step 2

this is more fun than relying on other programs and gives you a wider range in solutions.

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Saikonutta: 24-08-2010 16:33.

24-08-2010 16:24 Send an Email to Saikonutta Search for Posts by Saikonutta Add Saikonutta to your Buddy List
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 

RE: finding the key Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator       Go to the top of this page

i find the easiest way is to load the sample into your sequencer, then load a simple device into one of the tracks and play an a minor (all white notes) scale, then whilst scaling the keyboard transpose the device up and down till you hear it lock, if you have no look with minor scale, try c major (repeating the process of pitching the sound, then carry on transposing all the devices to a minor/c major that you use after.

works well and helps keep things flowing whilst you work Smile
27-08-2010 20:17 Send an Email to demure Search for Posts by demure Add demure to your Buddy List
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by demure
i find the easiest way is to load the sample into your sequencer, then load a simple device into one of the tracks and play an a minor (all white notes) scale, then whilst scaling the keyboard transpose the device up and down till you hear it lock, if you have no look with minor scale, try c major (repeating the process of pitching the sound, then carry on transposing all the devices to a minor/c major that you use after.

works well and helps keep things flowing whilst you work Smile

Last time when I was looking for the key it was in the flower pot next to the door.
Under the doormat is a popular place too.
Happy

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
28-08-2010 19:54 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
demure demure is a male
mastication fo de nation

images/avatars/avatar-2837.jpeg

Registration Date: 22-01-2009

Helpfulness rating: 

your address please

Big Grin
29-08-2010 09:16 Send an Email to demure Search for Posts by demure Add demure to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer

lots of money

Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page

06-06-2006 06:66 Search for Posts by Google Add Google to your Buddy List Send a Private Message to Google
Puzzle Puzzle is a male
..zebra?

images/avatars/avatar-2746.gif

Registration Date: 27-05-2008

Helpfulness rating: 
9 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 7.67

ROFL

__
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube
29-08-2010 11:23 Send an Email to Puzzle Homepage of Puzzle Search for Posts by Puzzle Add Puzzle to your Buddy List
benji b
Steppa

Registration Date: 27-06-2006

Helpfulness rating: 
2 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 4.00

cheers guys

a lot of interesting techniques to try out. i dnt have a midi keyboard so that might make things difficult but ill try anyway.

Mixed In Key looks good. does it actually work? is it that simple?!

b
28-12-2010 17:48 Send an Email to benji b Search for Posts by benji b Add benji b to your Buddy List
BattleDrone BattleDrone is a male
2161... the future.

images/avatars/avatar-3255.jpg

Registration Date: 30-12-2005

Helpfulness rating: 
40 Vote(s) - Average Rating: 8.70

quote:
Originally posted by benji b
cheers guys

a lot of interesting techniques to try out. i dnt have a midi keyboard so that might make things difficult but ill try anyway.

Mixed In Key looks good. does it actually work? is it that simple?!

b

I don't have a midi keyboard either, just use your regular one instead, it works jus the same. (not kidding you).

__
Check my soundcloud (exclusive tracks on there)
29-12-2010 01:10 Send an Email to BattleDrone Homepage of BattleDrone Search for Posts by BattleDrone Add BattleDrone to your Buddy List
GoogleGoogle is female
Ad Producer

lots of money

Tree Structure | Board Structure
Jump to:
Post New Thread Post Reply
drumnbass.be forum » Production » Production questions & answers » finding the key

Forum Software: Burning Board 2.3.6, Developed by WoltLab GmbH